PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It's worth mentioning that the Bone has been running games in a virtual machine from day one. It was built with future back compatibility in mind.
    Yeah that's what everyone said about the 360
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I think the main reason they'll be a Playstation 5 is marketing - where do you turn after Pro, Super Pro? Uber Pro Pro?
    Also, they make a fuckton of money and generate a lot of visibility by having a new console out. If you slip into the realms of annual or biannual spec bumps, it's harder to grab people's attention, expand your customer base and all the rest.

Possibly. But isn't it those killer exclusive games that actually expand the customer base. I would have thought it would be very attractive to the platform holders to do away with gens that enable their customers to make a clean break and jump ship to a rival platform.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah maybe. Just can't see how it will work when they want to do a big hyped up launch for their new model if all the games are playable on the model already out. It takes away from their must-have, latest and greatest sheen.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It's a tricky one. Maybe tie each launch in with the launch of one or two exclusives that really show off the upgrades strengths.
    Get schwifty.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    It's a tricky one. Maybe tie each launch in with the launch of one or two exclusives that really show off the upgrades strengths.

Apart from Nintendo, when was the last time a launch title really showed off a system?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well if it's an upgrade then aren't the devs already familiar with the architecture? So a Naughty Dog could probably come up with something suitably dazzling, no?
    Get schwifty.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

Apart from Nintendo, when was the last time a launch title really showed off a system?

Halo has been the only other impressive launch title ever imo, maybe Ridge Racer on PSone.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Project Gotham Racing 3 knocked my socks off on 360's launch.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    It's worth mentioning that the Bone has been running games in a virtual machine from day one. It was built with future back compatibility in mind.

True.

Hey, are this month's 360 GwG compatible with the Bone?
  • Halo has been the only other impressive launch title ever imo, maybe Ridge Racer on PSone.

Maybe Ridge Racer???
  • Halo has been the only other impressive launch title ever imo, maybe Ridge Racer on PSone.

Maybe Ridge Racer???

One track. Was an amazing demo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

True.

Hey, are this month's 360 GwG compatible with the Bone?

All 360 GwG games are backwards compatible these days.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also compare RR to GT only a couple of years later

That's what I mean, whereas ninty seem to have fantastic first party games that are rarely bettered
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just to catch up on a couple of points here:

As far as PS5 goes, I think Sony will be quite happy to keep releasing updates as long as they remain profitable. It'll all come down to sales figures. Still, the earliest I'd expect to see a brand new generation is 2020, Microsoft will have plenty of time to flog Scorpios.

As far as Gazelle's suggestion that no new gen means no new innovations, the fact is that all of the innovations since the Wiimote fad have fallen flat on their faces. We've seen the trackpad you mentioned, SixAxis, Kinect, the Wii U gamepad, PlayStation Eye, PlayStation Move, none of them have made much of a dent whether they were released as part of an innovative new console or as add-ons to an existing device. If there really is a decent innovation in consoles, then I sure it will take off, but innovation for innovation's sake has been failing as a strategy for years now. I'm not sure that a lack of new consoles is going to stop innovation, the fact that nobody has come up with a decent new idea in a decade is the issue here.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Just to catch up on a couple of points here: As far as PS5 goes, I think Sony will be quite happy to keep releasing updates as long as they remain profitable. It'll all come down to sales figures. Still, the earliest I'd expect to see a brand new generation is 2020, Microsoft will have plenty of time to flog Scorpios. As far as Gazelle's suggestion that no new gen means no new innovations, the fact is that all of the innovations since the Wiimote fad have fallen flat on their faces. We've seen the trackpad you mentioned, SixAxis, Kinect, the Wii U gamepad, PlayStation Eye, PlayStation Move, none of them have made much of a dent whether they were released as part of an innovative new console or as add-ons to an existing device. If there really is a decent innovation in consoles, then I sure it will take off, but innovation for innovation's sake has been failing as a strategy for years now. I'm not sure that a lack of new consoles is going to stop innovation, the fact that nobody has come up with a decent new idea in a decade is the issue here.

Kinect might have worked, but Microsoft fucked it.
  • Kinect was a bag of shite and anyone who thought otherwise was a moran.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good voice recognition for searching the store, useful for yelps of 'xbox record dat!' and in stuff like Forza Horizon to get to the nearest race/garage or what have you, so it was handy in my gaff.

But they've since fucked the store stuff completely, all of it must have been possible using the headset mic, and none of it ever worked if you were a ginger skirt wearing haggis muncher, so I can see where you're coming from.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am a ginger skirt wearing haggis muncher and I can confirm kinect still is a piece of garbage that can't recognise accents.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've literally no clue how my accent doesn't make it explode.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've literally no clue how my accent doesn't make it explode.

You're still classed as English. There's a hierarchy
  • You need to be more Southern.
    "Oi, Cortana yoo slag, put on 4od yoo muggy cunt"
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If you want to watch 4OD just pretend to be G.
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Very swish! Throw a trillion pound PC at it and it does look juicy indeed. 

I've given up on the 60fps dream with my creaking old i5, 970. It seems to be ok running most of the Ultra settings at 30 though so it looks fine and dandy on the 1080 monitor. 

The Xbox one on the big telly and with the full surround is also lovely.

Oi tink they allll have luvverly bottoms Ted.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Get yerself a steamlink isanbard
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I have a steamlink but it'd need to get into the steam library wouldn't it? 

It's a UWP program so doesn't play ball without some faffing and I can't get that to work on my setup either. (It may be because I've installed it on a different drive to the system drive as the Rift installs tend to eat all the SSD) 
    Doesn't Steamlink require the steam overlay to run and that doesn't play nice at all with UWP at the minute does it?

Can steamlink just throw anything that's on the PC over? UWP games have pretty hefty security stuff. They create a new exe each time you run them as I understand it amongst other security gubbins? 

I think they are saying they will make it all integrate 'in the future..' at some undefined point..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I'm not sure about the ins and outs precisely as I am yet to buy one but I imagine you can it to fuck. Not sure. I have seen people run their desktops through it, but I know it's fiddly. Reddit probably knows.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I has a steamlink, it's steam eco only
  • Pretty sure you can get around it by running Notepad as a Steam application and using that to enter command line prompts

Edit: I mean theoretically you can link almost anything to be opened through Steam, even pirated games.

Just watched a video where a guy runs zSnes through Steamlink. So you don't even need your Japanese Super Famicom

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!