Nioh
  • It definitely went down between Alphas. Pruning your inventory doesn't take too long as you can lock items and selling stuff gives you rewards so is well worth doing.
  • This has gone from essential for me to probably not gonna bother after reading that review.

Level design and loot are two things I wanted to be done right but it seems they've fucked it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    stonechalice more like floppyhandshake.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Sounds like it follows the Blands loot system. A fucking ton of it which you instantly dismiss on colour and what you have equipped. Aka don't fucking pick everything up you great big fucko reviewer. That's on you.
  • the one thing i wanted to know is if you can equip that sabre-toothed tiger. that would cease any hesitation i have

Nioh-1.jpg
  • Not a fan of tons of samey weapon drops.  Don't see the point. Bloodborne got it right for this sort of thing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Not a fan of tons of samey weapon drops.  Don't see the point. Bloodborne got it right for this sort of thing.

Because its reward. Fighting the same boss/mini boss/geezer over and over with absolutely nothing dropping what-so-ever equals zero reward. 'til the 15th kill and one weapon drops.

Besides, as your XP builds with farming, so your gear gets worse and at some point a lesser 'quality' weapon (blue/green) will outpower your lesser level purple/legendary. Aka, advancement whilst grinding.
  • IMO it would only be a problem if you have as many pockets as the dude from no mans sky.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ya just don't pick the shit up/drop it instantly. Easy solution. I play Diablo/Blands, I see white/green/blue and unless I'm really struggling for gear, its ignored.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yup. And it's fun tailoring your gear with specific traits. Finding a specific hammer that scales with spirit and has more guard break on strong attacks.
  • JonB wrote:
    Not a fan of tons of samey weapon drops.  Don't see the point. Bloodborne got it right for this sort of thing.
    Because its reward. Fighting the same boss/mini boss/geezer over and over with absolutely nothing dropping what-so-ever equals zero reward. 'til the 15th kill and one weapon drops.
    I dunno. It doesn't sound like much reward to get another weapon after each kill, and then have to compare it with what you've got to see if it's slightly better or not. I got sick of it in Witcher 3, because you have to pick things up before you can look at them, and then discard them, which is laborious. And if 90% are the same as each other and don't need picking up, why are they there at all?
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Yup. And it's fun tailoring your gear with specific traits. Finding a specific hammer that scales with spirit and has more guard break on strong attacks.
    Think I prefer finding gems with those traits that can be used on different weapons.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I dunno. It doesn't sound like much reward to get another weapon after each kill, and then have to compare it with what you've got to see if it's slightly better or not. I got sick of it in Witcher 3, because you have to pick things up before you can look at them, and then discard them, which is laborious. And if 90% are the same as each other and don't need picking up, why are they there at all?

As I said, you grind, your XP goes up, suddenly lesser weapons, which may be close to identical to other lesser gear, becomes viable.

I'd much rather farm a proper enemy, get the odd purple/maybe blue which is a solid rotation weapon, then hit the hallelujah when that legendary or exact piece of gear you want shines in amongst the tat.

Refine it to literally only dropping top gear loot, what's the point in a loot tier system at all, you're only going to ignore every single tier until the special one drops. Go Bloodborne, have about 12 weapons across the board. Yay top drawer.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Essentially if there's too much loot for ya, its on you. If you're picking up whites on Diablo to compare them to an equal level Purple or whatever, you've got OCD going on.
  • To be fair BB doesn't have a loot tier system, it is closer to a traditional action game where the weapon informs your play style, and no weapon is supposed to be an automatic "best pick" - you could theoretically take the Cane Whip or the Church Pick to endgame. A plus side to the BB system too is that they all have more naunce than in Dark Souls where you have like... 9 Shortswords but one is the better so why use the rest?
  • Also I love Diablo so to me it's which system works for which game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    To be fair BB doesn't have a loot tier system, it is closer to a traditional action game where the weapon informs your play style, and no weapon is supposed to be an automatic "best pick" - you could theoretically take the Cane Whip or the Church Pick to endgame. A plus side to the BB system too is that they all have more naunce than in Dark Souls where you have like... 9 Shortswords but one is the better so why use the rest?

If its a non-random loot system its a bit of a bollocks tbh. Likewise wide choice = selection of playstyles. If everyone goes for the definitive weapon ya done fucked up.

Like Blands (sorry am playing it a lot right now). I could go zerker, double legendary rocket launcher, regen rocket launcher ammo, yay all challenge of the game is gone. Again, onus on the player and all.
  • This is why BB is better than DS with its weapon choice from a gameplay perspective, none of them are redundant, they also don't have a chance to drop, they just are where they are.. DS is full of opportunities to dress up, but the differences between weapons are less interesting than the differences between the BB weapons.

Nioh is actually like a hybrid of Diablo and BB though, small weapon range, nuance in how they control, but with Diablo style numbers that can reinforce your play style/make certain areas or enemies easier.
  • I'm trying to remember from the demo if there's any indication of the quality of the loot on the ground before you pick it up. I don't think there is. That means picking everything up and then analyzing it in a menu.

I'm amazed more loot driven games don't just have an up/down quality arrow when you hover over loot before you pick it up.

I'm more disappointed about the level design and lack of secrets reviews were bringing up.
  • Pretty sure it has an arrow on it, from memory. I just hoovered stuff because there were benefits to selling it later, like free items.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm amazed more loot driven games don't just have an up/down quality arrow when you hover over loot before you pick it up.

Blands displays all stats of a weapon if you hover over it. Hence best game of last 5/10 years.
  • As I said, you grind, your XP goes up, suddenly lesser weapons, which may be close to identical to other lesser gear, becomes viable. I'd much rather farm a proper enemy, get the odd purple/maybe blue which is a solid rotation weapon, then hit the hallelujah when that legendary or exact piece of gear you want shines in amongst the tat. Refine it to literally only dropping top gear loot, what's the point in a loot tier system at all, you're only going to ignore every single tier until the special one drops. Go Bloodborne, have about 12 weapons across the board. Yay top drawer.
    As opposed to a million weapons that are minor variations of 12 types.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Then maybe its not the game for you.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Use his head for a taiko drum.
  • Then maybe its not the game for you.
    Yeah, that's the point. Which is a shame, really. Could've been mah kinda thang with a few alterations.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Like, proper loot 'em ups, proper ones (not Souls which is essentially the same for all players, weapon wise) have a lot of number crunching and RNG going on. So its type of weapon (somewhere from say 8 -20 variants). Then its rarity (5-7 potential variants), then its stats, which depending on rarity can be one of millions of variants, then its bonuses/elemental/crit bonuses yadda yadda. So striped down, it is variants of base weapon, but to call them minor variations is bit, well yeah mate.

You can farm for a weapon, and in the same time frame of another player farming too, get a weapon way beyond the one that spawns for them, or vice versa. Its not 'oh I got a broadsword or whatever but yours has a purple handle', its legit, widescale variance if done correctly.

If your OCD (or its how you roll) means you have to pick up every fecking thing, then yes I can see it being a pain. But when you're up against something hella OP, and you need a boost in damage/element/weapon to give you a chance, its when you pray to RNGesus that it helps you out. 

Say 12 stock weapons throughout the game, all players can get those 12. Nothing more. PVP deeeead son, see why souls 2/3/1 is more active than BB on the PVP circuit.

EDIT: this isn't aimed at you Jon, just RNG loot done right is a fucking fantastic thing and can extend a game's life way beyond what it should be.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    More loot = more scrap = more souls (or whatever the currency is). That's a win in my book.
  • good review frm eurogamer, recommended not a masterpiece. may buy this in a few months
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wait for the King Stant review.
  • CAN I EQUIP THE TIGER

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!