God of War
  • I'm another in the "keeps stumbling into stuff he can't handle yet" camp.  Generally though I've tended to stay and play, which has resulted in some fairly ridiculous battles with guys that can kill in one hit.  (Though these tend to limit themselves to mostly one on one encounters, which I can usually handle.)

Last night I did however visit somewhere that I decided I would have to return to later as I was just embarrassing myself, namely...
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • I am not sure if the stuff in the game scales with you a little or not in places.

Case in point would be the first favour you get from Sindri:
    Spoiler:

@Tin, I dunno if you're talking about the Hard version of the first thing, or if you've opened a gate and gone further up. Not to teach you to suck eggs, but
    Spoiler:

@Cinto

Have you done the mists stuff yet? I saw it last night, thought better of it, and finished the game instead.
  • I’ve done some of it, but not much. Need to do more of that and continue on the stuff Tin mentioned (though I am past the point he was at).

So yeah...bits and bobs to do which I’ll chip away at until I’ve had enough.
  • So far it’s very beautiful, combat feels a little...clunky? Like it should be slicker, smoother? However at the same time I could imagine that’s because you aren’t a lithe slinky hero but, well very much me with a beard and I’d certainly be more slow and powerful than nimble. Touching so far also.

@Digi, great great shout on the stick swap. You really have just made the PS4 much more liked in this house.
  • Early combat is deffo clunky - but you’ll get the hang of it and you’ll gain some new skills, all of which should increase your overall speed.

But yeah, DEX build Dark Souls this is not.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It feels visceral and real, which is why I love it. Souls can sometimes feel a bit weightless outside of boss battles.
  • Cool, I'll give a few bits a bash but I want to send it to my dad to save him the cash for buying it.

What did you think about the ending?

MEGA SPOILERS FOR THOSE JUST BROWSING, DON'T CLICK
    Spoiler:
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm going to have to buy this at the weekend aren't I you bastards? I hate you all.

Except DS, he's lovely.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @Tin, I dunno if you're talking about the Hard version of the first thing, or if you've opened a gate and gone further up. Not to teach you to suck eggs, but
    Spoiler:

Yep, that's what I did for the first couple of waves.  To be honest I just wasn't having fun with it, so decided to go off and do something else for a bit.  (There is, after all, plenty to do).  I can pretty much guarantee I'll be going back...
  • The combat in this game is far more satisfying and impressive than Dark Souls. It has such a greater breadth and a better need for awareness of space and your options than Dark Souls, which is obviously limited by its restrained move set and stamina - everyone loves that stamina shit cos it's inspired, but Kratos is a god and it's liberating to be able to cut loose, but the systems are good enough that you'll be overwhelmed in seconds if you fuck up. 

The closest analogue game wise, for a lot of GoW, is The Last of Us I think. They're both about as big budget as you can get, and they try and reinforce the theme using every aspect of the game. I think The Last of Us fails a little more than God of War, which really gets the coherency right (its only failing being the menus and submenus for skills and upgrades etc) and very rarely acquiesces to 'gameplay' stuff beyond your physical presence in the world.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The combat in this game is far more satisfying and impressive than Dark Souls.
    Blimey.
  • This over-the-shoulder cam makes me feel like I'm perpetually moving sideways.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    CRAB OF WAR
  • monkey wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    The combat in this game is far more satisfying and impressive than Dark Souls.
    Blimey.

It should be known that I don't think Dark Souls combat is all that impressive. I always preferred Monster Hunter, and since I am a fan of DMC I prefer Bloodborne to Dark Souls anyway. 

God of War gets the heft right and the threat of these kind of brawls right, nearly every fight feels like it gives you options and ways to approach it that make them unfold in interesting ways. At your best you're untouchable, tearing through enemies by chaining together long range attacks, combos with your son, and brutal finishes. Everything seems tweaked to minute levels of detail, from the travel time of your axe and recall, to the way time slows during certain moves to let you catch your breath.
  • Also someone has made the perfect GoW joke tweet:

KRATOS: boy. translate these runes
    ATREUS: they say "updog," father
    KRATOS: what do you know of this creature?
    ATREUS: what creature?
    KRATOS: "updog," boy! what is "updog?!"
    ATREUS: not much, father. what is up with you?
    KRATOS: *eyes narrowing* i will stay alert for this "updog"
  • I think I'd like Christopher Judge to read degg tweets at people in this.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I'm another in the "keeps stumbling into stuff he can't handle yet" camp.  Generally though I've tended to stay and play, which has resulted in some fairly ridiculous battles with guys that can kill in one hit.  (Though these tend to limit themselves to mostly one on one encounters, which I can usually handle.)

Last night I did however visit somewhere that I decided I would have to return to later as I was just embarrassing myself, namely...
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Think tempy is confusing
    Spoiler:

For the
    Spoiler:

For the
    Spoiler:

Loved that area and think i stopped at 4th gate.
    Spoiler:

Il be back to that after story ends, as with lots of stuff iv found in this game.
    Must push on and just finish it goddamn!
  • The Crate and the Crowbar have a thing on their Discord called the "critics circle" at the moment, which is just a series of prompts to make you think about writing short 500 word things. Given I have just blasted through God of War, I thought their Power and Responsibility prompt this week, I thought i'd write something about how I felt.

It perhaps has some mild spoilers, but I think I avoided them as best I can.

Here it is for those who are interested.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The Crate and the Crowbar have a thing on their Discord called the "critics circle" at the moment, which is just a series of prompts to make you think about writing short 500 word things. Given I have just blasted through God of War, I thought their Power and Responsibility prompt this week, I thought i'd write something about how I felt.

It perhaps has some mild spoilers, but I think I avoided them as best I can.

Here it is for those who are interested.

Thanks pal.
  • Tempy wrote:
    What did you think about the ending?

MEGA SPOILERS FOR THOSE JUST BROWSING, DON'T CLICK
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah I agree with all that. The Mason part was really good, and the game did definitely capitalise on that central transforming hub which was right at home in the God of War canon of insane and impractical mega structures.

My only issue with your last paragraph is what I wrote in that link up there. I don't want to come back.
  • Yeah, I read your link and I know what you mean. But...it’s gonna happen.
  • I think you're right, and it makes me a bit sad for the characters.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    So after unexpected errands, time to dive in for four hours. Nngg am moist.
  • You are not prepared BOY.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think you're right, and it makes me a bit sad for the characters.

Yeah...but I don’t necessarily think it has to be a bad thing.
    Spoiler:

Anyway, I dunno. I think they could end it here, but they won’t - and I’m not convinced a sequel would be a thematic disaster.
  • Yeah, I agree. I think it was just a strong reaction to the game which I wasn't expecting.
    Spoiler:
  • Reluctantly left this late last night.

Am not moist to get back tho, am wet.

• So after unexpected errands, time to dive in for four hours.

Presumably to perform more unexpected errands as Kratos.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Another update? My PS4 just crashed too. How do you set it to auto update? I'm sure I did it when I got the console but I want to check.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!