God of War
  • Tempy wrote:
    My only complaint so far is I wish I could swap Block and Aim without having to swap Light and Heavy Attack
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Circle not rolling is confusing.

You can change any buttons around in the PlayStation menus settings.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Played about two and a half hours of this now. On second hardest. Died a few times but now the combat, and parrying has clicked I feel like a bad ass. Love launching an enemy into the air and using the son to keep them there with arrows as I twat fuck out of em. Genuinely feel like hammering Dark Souls shieldless has prepared me well, still keep forgetting to use it.

Also cliffs are dangerous places for my foes. Game is majestic and beyond what I'd hoped for.
  • Things I love about the combat:

1. Freezing enemies with precision throws to the head.
    2. Shattering frozen enemies.
    3. Kicking frozen enemies into other enemies.
    4. Tripping enemies by throwing the axe at their legs then following up by cleaving them in half.
    5. Juggling enemies in the air.
    6. Throwing the axe into an airborn enemy and pinning them to a tree.
    7. Using an enemy as a club to beat another enemy.
    8. Parrying.
    9. Parrying a projectile and returning it to the sender.
    10. Knocking enemies off cliffs, platforms, high places.
    11. Runic attacks.
    12. The generous cooldown on the runic attacks meaning you never feel bad about using them.
    13. Using runic attacks that have invincibility frames to tank big hits and perform immediate follow ups.
    14. Hand to hand combat.
    15. The BOY and his bow.
    16. Using the shield to guard break enemies.
    17. Recalling the axe through enemies.
    18. The genuine utility of the positional callouts from BOY.
  • Genuinely feel like hammering Dark Souls shieldless has prepared me well, still keep forgetting to use it.

This is not the type of game where a shield is a crutch for more conservative play - it’s invaluable for parry and guardbreak as well as AoE blocking, so don’t forget to use it. This is not a No ShIEld RuN MegA-L337 type of dickwaving game. The most epic fights come from using the shield, not rejecting it.
  • That's a nice list Cinty.
    I watched some Twitch of this on launch night and the combat looked really dull but I think it was because everyone was so early on in the game.

I am a big fan of the original trilogy and although that combat wasn't deep it was exciting visually. Got to do one or the other, depth or visuals, ideally both.
  • To be fair - I thought the combat looked a bit dull and janky when I first saw vids. It’s very different when you’re playing it, at least once you get out into the main hub. Once the game starts throwing more enemies at you, and you have more skills, it really ups the quality.
  • Combat is great but I am real bad at it. I had to make a short visit to a cold realm, which means I got to see a cool thing that I wasn't expecting.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Genuinely feel like hammering Dark Souls shieldless has prepared me well, still keep forgetting to use it.

This is not the type of game where a shield is a crutch for more conservative play - it’s invaluable for parry and guardbreak as well as AoE blocking, so don’t forget to use it. This is not a No ShIEld RuN MegA-L337 type of dickwaving game. The most epic fights come from using the shield, not rejecting it.

Course im using it, I was talking about rolling timings primarily.
  • Ah yeah, deffo got them Souls rolls.
  • Also, game is dope, that is all.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Combat is great but I am real bad at it. I had to make a short visit to a cold realm, which means I got to see a cool thing that I wasn't expecting.

You weren't expecting to see a cool thing in the cold realm?
  • To be fair - I thought the combat looked a bit dull and janky when I first saw vids. It’s very different when you’re playing it, at least once you get out into the main hub. Once the game starts throwing more enemies at you, and you have more skills, it really ups the quality.

I thought the combat was kind of dull at first.  I'm loving it now however.  Meanwhile my initial crapness has been helped by finding a talisman very early on that has offset my crappy old-man reflexes...
    Spoiler:
  • I think I used the same talisman for the whole game - the only thing I didn’t switch.
  • trippy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Combat is great but I am real bad at it. I had to make a short visit to a cold realm, which means I got to see a cool thing that I wasn't expecting.

Ice see what you did there.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Things I love about the combat:

Loving that list. Looking forward to trying out the party projectile thing, I've been dodging them up to now.

The amount of options it gives you, and the strengths and weaknesses of the enemies it groups together are a winning combo. You can easily get swamped and ganked, but if you think about it instead of just running in axe swinging then you can manage the fight and get the upper hand.
    Spoiler:
  • Parry projectile is an unlockable skill, I think, so don’t try it until you’ve bought it. And yeah - like you mentioned, enemy combinations and weaknesses are really well thought out. Feels far more natural and emergent than something like the Arkham games.
  • trippy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Love that, great call back.
    Really enjoying the story as it unfolds.
    Camera being all one shot is so immersive too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Loving that knockback skill too, it's a beast for mobs that swarm ya.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Parry projectile is an unlockable skill, I think, so don’t try it until you’ve bought it. And yeah - like you mentioned, enemy combinations and weaknesses are really well thought out. Feels far more natural and emergent than something like the Arkham games.

Heh, could have strung that out a bit, I wonder how long I'd have spent "Getting the timing down".
  • I w only just unlocked my first health upgrade about 60 or 70% of the way through, whoops
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, that talisman is OP as fuck, just unlocked the projectile parry and the window is mahoosive. Delightful.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I w only just unlocked my first health upgrade about 60 or 70% of the way through, whoops

Sounds about right - think I only got 2 full boosts by the end, not sure how many more there are.

In other news, now doing some optional stuff and I’m getting destroyed.
  • Yeah, that talisman is OP as fuck, just unlocked the projectile parry and the window is mahoosive. Delightful.

:D
  • Tempy wrote:
    I w only just unlocked my first health upgrade about 60 or 70% of the way through, whoops

Sounds about right - think I only got 2 full boosts by the end, not sure how many more there are.

Have you beat a
    Spoiler:
    ?
    Found two but they absolutely destroy me.
    I should probably finish the game first though eh!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There are only three boosts to stuff like vitality and rage, nine trinkets to collect for each attribute.

Just had a very Demon's Souls bit, thankfully I didn't have to strip down to my undies.
  • Just picked this up, don’t think I’ll get chance to play today so will be putting some time in tomorrow and will come back with thoughts then. Looking forward to it.
  • digi wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Have you beat a
    Spoiler:
    ?

That’s what I’m working through now.
  • digi wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Have you beat a
    Spoiler:
    ?

That’s what I’m working through now.

Good luck, there damb hard pal.
  • I've beaten one.

Think I'm currently clearing up the extra bits before the final stretch of story.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!