God of War
  • Come over ere I'll suck the fun right out of ye
  • I'm most of the way through Neil Gaiman's Norse mythology book now. Reading the stories and then experiencing them again (mostly as Mimir told them) in the 2018 game really helped with the immersion. I love the lore. Anyone bouncing off or getting bored should get into the subject matter a bit.
  • Bob wrote:
    35 fucking hours!?!?

Fuck that.
    Lol. Why keep
    Coming in
    Here to
    Whinge ?
    I never understood the hoo ha for the first game. It was pretty looking but a clunky old dog to play. Took genuine will power to actually finish it. Also got really sick of getting fucking hacksilver out of chests nearly all the time.

You’ve been whinging for as long as people have been playing it. We get it. It’s not
    For you.
    Go fun sponge somewhere else ?

Your muddled posts are still not funny and never have been Bob.

Go play cod with the fifa masses :)
    The Forum Herald™
  • Come over ere I'll suck the fun right out of ye

Hello sailor
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Post of the year
    The Forum Herald™
  • If I'm a fun sponge I should be full of fun.

Fit to burst with fun.

A bag full of fun.

But misses the point that while
    You might be enjoying it and full of fun it’s because it’s sucked up the residual fun? Maybe. Something to think about .
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm very much enjoying this so far. I'm, lawks ten hours in maybe? It's fun, I like.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Just done the second section
    Spoiler:

Also can someone fill me in on the law?
    Spoiler:
    The Forum Herald™
  • Over half the game feels like filler. Then there’s the 30% of the game that’s the bobbins cutscenes (that I’ve taken to leaving to just run whilst I wonder off and make a 9 course tasting banquet). Leave me with about 15% of stuff that I’ve quite enjoyed. The whole thing is a massive example of shitty box ticking game design. Generally, it’s turned out a mess.

Though, as Moot pointed out, perhaps I got one off the shit batch. There’s an alternate world somewhere where this turned out smashing. It’s such a frustrating experience.
  • I don't think I'll bother with this now tbh. I really enjoyed 2018 but I'm not really in the mood for 'same again but longer'.

Much as I hate to admit it, Elf is right.
  • I've given up after 12 hours. I wouldn't mind seeing the story through if I thought it would wrap up at 20 hours, but it's going to be much more than that. There's no part of the combat/puzzles/exploration loop that I haven't already had enough of.
  • That’s a review for the back of the box Jon!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I still really enjoy the game but feel I need to play it in bursts. It is ridiculously overlong.

Love the story, writing, voice acting, but the loop itself is way too similar to the first.
  • I've not played much since launch but I've given it a few hours this morning. It takes an absolute age to do anything or get anywhere. Maybe its the hardware holding it back or my obsession to explore every nook... but its a lot more noticeable than 2018. 

I'll stick with it as I like the story/characters... but I totally get some of the complaints.
  • Bob wrote:
    Just done the second section
    Spoiler:

Played some more and this bit is still going on and fuck me is the
    Spoiler:
    The Forum Herald™
  • That section you’re on about is where I decided it was time to start avoiding the (apparently unskippable) cutscenes. 30 seconds of linear path, 20 seconds of exploring small area, ‘surprise’ battle with just the right number of enemies to handle, cutscene. Now! Do it again but here skip a stone because that’s the kind of thing that Naughty Dog do and it makes you feel like you care for the character and we know this because we have broken down their game to the exact second and now we know how to make that game but WITH GODS.
    I feel beyond manipulated when I play this. Felt exactly the same feeling with GoT and I just can’t unsee it all. There’s a mid point of the Average Gamer that has been discovered and it seems that all games devised by Sonys second tier of devs stick rigidly to whatever template they’ve been given. Metrics and analytics and good graphics will make our games the best. The whole thing makes me feel grubby.
  • Well I wouldn't go that far. However there's definitely something of the Naughty Dog about it..
    The Forum Herald™
  • I feel beyond manipulated when I play this.
    That's it in a nutshell. It doesn't even seem to be trying to hide it the way other games do.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I haven't played it, but this manipulation chat is odd to me. Trying to make you feel something during these cutscenes is the point isn't it? Manipulating emotions is how that's achieved isn't it?
  • Aren't these Sony’s first tier of devs? Naughty Dog, Santa Monica etc
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I haven't played it, but this manipulation chat is odd to me. Trying to make you feel something during these cutscenes is the point isn't it? Manipulating emotions is how that's achieved isn't it?
    I think there's a difference between manipulating emotions and evoking emotional responses. But in this case, it goes way beyond the cutscenes anyway. Every moment of the game feels like it's been created to elicit a particular response or action. Or as if they've broken down player psychology and designed the game to hit a sequence of satisfaction triggers in a repeating loop.
  • THIS IS WHERE YOU CRY!

(BOY!)
  • JonB wrote:
    I haven't played it, but this manipulation chat is odd to me. Trying to make you feel something during these cutscenes is the point isn't it? Manipulating emotions is how that's achieved isn't it?
    I think there's a difference between manipulating emotions and evoking emotional responses. But in this case, it goes way beyond the cutscenes anyway. Every moment of the game feels like it's been created to elicit a particular response or action. Or as if they've broken down player psychology and designed the game to hit a sequence of satisfaction triggers in a repeating loop.

Yeah. That’s what I was getting at - I don’t feel like they’re trying to elicit a specific emotional response from me with a cut scene but rather that the game world feels devised to elicit a specific response through its design and pacing. I get that all games are kinda aiming for this but this feels so rigid and so obvious in what they now want me to feel, that all I can see are the ropes and pulleys they think they’re pulling behind the scenes. It’s just really really obvious - kinda that trope of the waste high walls in an open area of any Uncharted meaning shooting time. The whole game is like that. But with more squeezing.
  • PHILOSOPHY

EXISTENTIAL DRAMA

YOU WILL LEARN TODAY BOY!!!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    PHILOSOPHY

EXISTENTIAL DRAMA

YOU WILL LEARN TODAY BOY!!!

Hahaha
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Sunk another 6 hours or so into this yesterday and I'm starting to feel the "padding".

I'm still enjoying it, but every additional hour I'm playing is starting to take away from my overall enjoyment of the title.

It really could have done with being a little more concise.  The chat from the NPCs telling me that "I've missed a side mission" or that "I should go and explore over there" is really starting to grate too!

I've just freed:
    Spoiler:

My gut is telling me I've still got about 5 hours to go?
  • I’m probably nowhere near even the middle of the game, but doing a side quest now which is far more interesting than the main path. Even then, I think I’m getting bored. I think. I can’t be sure. Still enjoy it, but I feel like I’m wasting time. Like, I know playing games is wasting time. But this feels like, you know. I’m wasting time I don’t actually have!

So I think I’ll play in small chunks here and there. Maybe finish it in another few months.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m probably nowhere near even the middle of the game, but doing a side quest now which is far more interesting than the main path. Even then, I think I’m getting bored. I think. I can’t be sure. Still enjoy it, but I feel like I’m wasting time. Like, I know playing games is wasting time. But this feels like, you know. I’m wasting time I don’t actually have!

So I think I’ll play in small chunks here and there. Maybe finish it in another few months.

I’ve had the same conflicted feelings. I keep dipping back in and thinking that just about, maybe, perhaps I’m enjoying this! Then I always end up turning it off as I’ve got to a bit that just drags and wasted my time and it leaves a bad final taste to that session. They’ve probably designed it that way.

• Christ there was an annoying bit yesterday! Third time did it without breaking a sweat though.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!