God of War
  • Got to admit Im struggling with the 2018 one.

Upgrade systems feel well ott for the type of game it is. Combat while more nuanced on paper than the OG trilogy is a bit plodding. So far Ive faced two of the big trolls with logs, both times it felt liek standing a mile away lobbing my axe was the way forward if slow. Speaking of, walking around in general is very slow, puzzles are so obvious they just really serve to slow everything down further.

Im not that far in, just met the world serpent and drained the lake revealing the golden bridge so suspect that's the end of the beginning. I did enjoy the stranger fight. Mostly though Im left wondering what happened to the GoW spectacle. I mean the start of GoW3 was eye blistering in its scale and scope.

The OG trilogy could be described as angry thrashing spectacle. This is Dad Plod.

Ill play some more but find im drifting off to the other games in the collection.
  • I was really surprised by how much I liked the first one and equally surprised in how disappointing I find this one.
  • I was really surprised by how much I liked the first one and equally surprised in how disappointing I find this one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’d agree with that - it doesn’t flow
    The Forum Herald™
  • Loved the first. Reading all these comments makes me think I'll wait for Ragnorok to his PS Plus.
  • So should Muzzy
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    heh
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well I've enjoyed the first hour well enough. Screw the naysayers.

Though tbh I suspect the fact I've not played a 3PAA thing since Elden Ring (multiple months ago), and a ubi game for a couple of years before that, means I've hopefully got more tolerance fire upcoming bloat than I might otherwise.
  • Just picked this up again and man I’m in a so fucking tedious section.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Play something else. Life’s too short. Unlike Ragnarok.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm still not quite getting the hate... I'm 13h in now, and plugging away pretty happily really.  It's been decidedly linear (apart from two chunky side quests bits, which I've done both of), but no real complaints: combat is grand really (a few more enemy types coming into the mix), couple of big bosses, plot meandering a bit all over the place, ... but kinda getting what I expected, and it seems fun going along for the ride.

So yeah, intrigued which bits people are moaning about.  Maybe they're still to come for me, or my tolerance is higher than others for whatever reasons atm?
    Spoiler:
  • I kept plugging through the dross and I’m sort of enjoying it now. I’ve no idea if I’m closing in on the end, and I’m still just wandering off when the massive am dram cutscenes kick in, but it’s picked up a bit. Less bad than I thought but still not that good out of ten for me.
  • When I played this there was a bit right at the very end where the game developed a bug and wouldn't let me walk through a massive set of ornate doors - because I walked away from a conversation too early, and it just fell over. It felt like a good summary of the whole game - very beautiful, but determined that I do everything at its pace, or not at all.

There an entirely optional area late on that feels really open and interesting in comparison to the rest, and I found myself wishing the whole game had been like that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm about three quarters of the way through now I think.
    Spoiler:

Still enjoying it well enough. Have given up on side quests and will happily see it to completion I think. 21h deep as things stand. Still feels like a solid [8] if not higher, still don't quite get the dislike from so many. Shrug.
  • The thing is compared to say horizon it’s just not that good. It’s not as pretty, it’s neither open world or proper levels , it’s not content to let you alone for a
    Minute .. it’s just like playing for the sake of it
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm about three quarters of the way through now I think.
    Spoiler:

Still enjoying it well enough. Have given up on side quests and will happily see it to completion I think. 21h deep as things stand. Still feels like a solid [8] if not higher, still don't quite get the dislike from so many. Shrug.

I loved that thing in your spoiler.
    I was invested in the story so I probably enjoyed it more than most (helps I like the mythology etc).

There are pacing issues I'm sure but I think that's due to the open nature of it all.
    Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.
  • I loved it. Though like you I can completely understand why some didn’t and couldn’t see it through.

Has something missing that the first had, couldn’t tell you what that is though.
  • Just fought my first Valkyrie, 15 hours in, which felt like the first proper fight. How long left?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    About 70 hours
  • :D I award this post of the day
    The Forum Herald™
  • About 70 hours

You, sir, are a troll of the highest order.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    When I played this there was a bit right at the very end where the game developed a bug and wouldn't let me walk through a massive set of ornate doors - because I walked away from a conversation too early, and it just fell over. It felt like a good summary of the whole game - very beautiful, but determined that I do everything at its pace, or not at all. There an entirely optional area late on that feels really open and interesting in comparison to the rest, and I found myself wishing the whole game had been like that.

I’m at this bit you mention in your last sentence.  It’s really good and feels like a viable route forwards for the game or even an offshoot.
  • Because it doesn’t know what it wants to be. There’s a couple of good early side quests and then it totally abandon some side quests for the next 70
    Hours
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Pretty close to the end now I think. Very much mainlining it now. Might pop to the optional but that tin mentioned, assuming I can carry on after credits and have any remaining mojo.
    Spoiler:

Still basically enjoying it, but yeah pretty low interest in all the side shit now cos it's all been a bit too samey/not enough genuine reward...
  • I started enjoying it more after the 15 hour mark or so. After some extremely tedious fetch quest with rubbish exposition and story. Have fought a few mega bosses now which is what this is about. Combat’s ok now that I have bought more skills and upgrades (of which there is too much). 

Still a 7 I reckon. Maybe an 8.
  • It gets better as it goes certainly, and the crater area is great, but still they keep bringing in walking feel-the-emotion sections that are just beyond pointless. The franchise doesn’t suit nuance and the heavy handed approach to it all just smacks of egotism and irrational self belief from the team that led the whole thing. There’s good here but hidden under a mighty hammer of top tier nonsense.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I started enjoying it more after the 15 hour mark or so.

Box quote
  • This crater area is huge. Have spent ages already and getting lost!
  • Finished it, which is not something I thought I’d be writing tbh.  It really improves, quite massively by the end, but I don’t think making me play though 18 hours of jank to get probably not quite the same amount back of good is as clever pacing as the devs seem to think.

It’s finished on a real high though.  Dunno what to say really.  At best it’s fine at the start, a term I’m using loosely here as it probably equates to a full fucking day, but really it’s also actually pretty terrible at points early on.

I like the Scottish head and it gets really good from the 30 hour mark and had me sort of invested in it all for the last 10 or so.  Banging final half hour.  I don’t think that shows quite enough respect for my time though so I dunno.

Get that on the back of the box.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!