God of War
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m probably nowhere near even the middle of the game, but doing a side quest now which is far more interesting than the main path. Even then, I think I’m getting bored. I think. I can’t be sure. Still enjoy it, but I feel like I’m wasting time. Like, I know playing games is wasting time. But this feels like, you know. I’m wasting time I don’t actually have! So I think I’ll play in small chunks here and there. Maybe finish it in another few months.
    I’ve had the same conflicted feelings. I keep dipping back in and thinking that just about, maybe, perhaps I’m enjoying this! Then I always end up turning it off as I’ve got to a bit that just drags and wasted my time and it leaves a bad final taste to that session. They’ve probably designed it that way.

I have slightly mixed feelings on this one. I was home sick today and so put a bunch of hours in. I think I'm pretty far but also doesn't feel like I'm getting close to the end and my enjoyment keeps going up and down. I'm trying to remember how I felt about the previous one but I feel like the main part of the game had a bit more freedom than this and were more "gamey" than handholding corridor stuff where other characters talk at me constantly and tell me how to play the game. But I find the combat still quite fun although I also feel like there's less tests than the previous one where there were more opportunities to do cool battle against tough enemies - like the valkeries - and this one has more standard battles that just slow things down. There also seems to be less new stuff introduced as you play. Makes sense that gameplay from the previous game would come through but I think I've been hoping for some more new new stuff to come and it hasn't really. Nothing particularly exciting anyhow.

But then it has an amazing set-piece with giant scale and beautiful graphics and visual design and a lot of cool use of colour and all that jazz, or some cool story stuff or just a fun little boss battle or environmental gameplay beat and it pulls me back.

I'll play through it all eventually (unless it's much much bigger than I thought) but I do wish it was a bit more focussed in it's design and how it leads you through the main story and that it did it with less handholding so that you can just enjoy the game parts of the game. I wonder if it's the Cory Barlog difference as it's a different guy who was the lead on this one.
  • No, it was Barlog last time too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    No, it was Barlog last time too.

It wasnt on this one!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m probably nowhere near even the middle of the game, but doing a side quest now which is far more interesting than the main path. Even then, I think I’m getting bored. I think. I can’t be sure. Still enjoy it, but I feel like I’m wasting time. Like, I know playing games is wasting time. But this feels like, you know. I’m wasting time I don’t actually have! So I think I’ll play in small chunks here and there. Maybe finish it in another few months.

you are describing Disney Content being poured into the bored, yet still gaping, maws of the Consumers
  • digi wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It wasnt on this one!

It was him and one other this time as Director(s).
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    digi wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It wasnt on this one!

It was him and one other this time as Director(s).

Eric Williams.
    In case you didn’t know, God of War Ragnarok isn’t being directed by God of War 2018’s Cory Barlog, but by veteran Santa Monic dev Eric Williams.

Q: We all know that you’ve taken over after Cory Barlog did such a great
    job on the first game and it must just add to that pressure leading a team that’s making a game which everyone is sort of expecting to be, you know, that the Game of the Year for 2022.

Williams: Yeah, I kind of don’t look at it like that.

I’ve worked with Corey for 20 years and we’ve been partners.

I always have been kind of the guy behind the scenes helping him get where he needs to be, and I love that relationship.

And this time he was like, “you should be the one out front” and he’s like, “I’m tired, I need a break. I trust you, you know, go do it.” And when you have that kind of person that you have that much respect with, we’re we’re really honest with each other when we don’t like something.

We just tell each other, you know, and you know not getting shouting matches, but you know there’s a little, like posturing of, like okay, like maybe you’re right today; I’ll be right tomorrow.

But when you have that kind of level of trust, somebody wouldn’t tell you that if they didn’t believe it, and so then once you get that behind you, and (you kind of) I was looking for a new challenge .and you know, just the stars kind of lined up that this would be the one.

Now, obviously yes, there is pressure, but the pressure is more of a responsibility to the team, you know?

Like they worked so hard to get the franchise back on track, so you don’t want to let them down you know?

And the other part is, I don’t want to let the fans down, so I didn’t want this to be like Cory’s God of War and Eric’s God of War.

I wanted this to be God of War The North Saga, and if I’m almost invisible in this, and you feel like it’s like Cory secretly behind the wheel, then so be it. That, to me, that’s the best job because I don’t want it to be like, “well, I like that and I don’t like this,” I mean you want it to be continuous almost like the way a book would be written in chapter; so there was the goal to try and do that.

Can’t say I disagree with Williams take. I mean, fans might compare Ragnarok to the first one, but it’s part of one story, and if our hands-on preview of the first few hours is anything to go by, the game is certainly living up to its predecessor and then some.

God of War Ragnarok will slice heads off this November 9 on the PS4 and PS5.
  • Cory is apparently working on something else at Santa Monica's studios.
  • Ah maybe this Eric bloke is the issue then.  Feels different to GoW '18.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ah maybe this Eric bloke is the issue then.  Feels different to GoW '18.

Probably.
    I really enjoyed it though, combat is great fun and there's loads of stuff to do after the main story.
  • I feel like, if anything, he was afraid to really break from the mould of the previous one and do something really new. It almost feels like a really really big DLC for 2018 GoW
  • It's a continuation of that story.
  • It’s the U3 of the mainline Uncharteds is what it is.
  • I feel like, if anything, he was afraid to really break from the mould of the previous one and do something really new. It almost feels like a really really big DLC for 2018 GoW

That doesn’t make sense.

The Forum Herald™
  • Makes sense to me from what I've read. It's MORE of the same, right?
  • I thought we were discussing that it’s different? Like, seems less open, level design seems more restricted etc. Certainly feels that way to me but I may be misremembering.
  • Chances are if you dropped someone into the middle section of either game they’d be hard pressed to tell the difference
    The Forum Herald™
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I thought we were discussing that it’s different? Like, seems less open, level design seems more restricted etc. Certainly feels that way to me but I may be misremembering.
    The lake was more of an open hub throughout, with more opportunities to explore each time you returned. Teleporting between regions instead takes away some of that.
  • Chris Pratt will make a decent Kratos
  • Chris Pratt will make a decent Kratos

Sorry Muzzy this was post of the day!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Tempy would make a magnificent Kratos.
  • Srsly, that’s cosplay i’d pay for.
  • Finally ready for Ragnorok.

AVOTbtl.jpg
  • Maybe I'm just bored of big dumb AAA 3rd person action games, but I feel like I can't be bothered with this game.
  • It is starting to feel a bit like hard work
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You guys
  • There's some genuine issues with how the game is paced and with how it lets you (or doesn't let you) play it at times. There's a real push and pull with it and I think the extra freedom and the way the story was paced and directed in the previous one just made for a smoother and funner experience. Jon wrote a good article about it.
  • Got a link to Jon's article? I thought the first was so good and just enough in terms of content. Particularly how it handled the end-game content like a proper epilogue rather than just more crap to collect (it has that too obvs).
  • I’m conflicted cos we need good third person adventure games it can’t just be naughty dog and god of war but this is … not quite there for me so far
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!