The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • Spoiler:
    Tell me more... Battery ran out for the first time on the Switch today. And that's only because I left it in my bag for three days.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

My favourite mini game was probably the...
    Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I've managed to find my way to Goron City again, and am getting ready to get my second beast started. Really looking forward to it.

Skipped one shrine for now (modest test of strength) as I was playing it in bed and just wanted to zigzag around a bit.

So much good stuff has happened along the road, and it looks like I need to get back to my yellow stamps one I've finished this Beast. Only about 20 left, so need to figure out which ones are still valid.
  • I've fallen in love with this game again. The 3 heart only run I'm currently working through has made me appreciate certain parts of the map and just how well designed they are. I merely sauntered through these areas on my previous playthrough, but as I'm so fragile now, they've become gauntlets of peril and nail biting stealth.

As I'm not doing shrines or towers, there isn't any fast travel available at all, unless I go back to the plateau in the middle of the map. If I go anywhere, there's a genuine need to scan the horizon for hazards that lay before me, and plan the best path.

There's no need to waste any time cooking dishes, as a couple of apples or some other fruit will fill my hearts. The only thing I'm bothering to cook is stamina potions currently. Fairies are a godsend.

This run regularly has me standing at the base of some cliff pondering - can I make it up and over without a potion?

As I'm hunting the four fairies for the upgrades to my armour, rupees are my most sought after item, so I'm on the look out for rocks to mine for stones I can sell.

It's almost like the game was meant to be played this way, and the shrines were an afterthought. They are mere scenery to me, same with the towers. You don't need to know where anything is, you can just plonk a marker down. I find it's honestly best to leave the map as a blank, huge slate, ripe for adventure.

It's awesome.
  • Sounds shit.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Judging by your contributions to this forum you're no stranger to shit, Bob.

You could of made an effort.
  • The game is ace but could be doing with more challenge.  Not up for self imposed limitations though.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Agreed. I wish there was a proper hard mode like this available.

The only limitations I've imposed are no shrines, towers or DB's. Everything else is on the table so it's not hard to do. People should try it out it's bloody great fun.
  • Sounds like a nightmare to me but fair play to you if your having fun.

I'm the mirror opposite, mini map on, shrine alerts on, mark everything of interest on maps to come back later. More like @Nina from what I read.

To each their own.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I was one of those kids that drew maps for games.

Zelda ALttP and Super Metroids maps were such and improvement over the NES games there was no need.

Maps are great.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Never said maps aren't great, just that in this you don't really need one. Relying on what's actually in front of you rather than going to a map screen and seeing an easy way round. It changes the game for me. Makes it more organic. I'm loving this at the minute. Been battered about loads, but having to deal with whatever is over the next hill with whatever I have is a brilliant feeling. It's got a definite survival feel to it with three hearts.
  • I'm with Chalice on this. Adds to level of immersion if you just ignore map (most of the time).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Like I said to each their own.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I have the mini map off, shrine locator on, but I don't hear it that often, which worries me. Have still a couple of towers to do.

I'm mainly running around by what I see, but for finding memories I use the map and the hints of painter. I'm not fighting much so I'm putting stars where the bigger camps are, skulls where the big enemies are. I'm using the map mainly to make sure I'm actually making progress, too often I've found myself spending a lot of time in a pretty small area, ending up in the same spot I started. So at that point I'll climb up the highest bit nearby, check the map where I roughly wanted to go, jump off and glide. I'm planning on doing most of the fighting, shrines and bigger enemies after I've done the Beasts and memories, take my horse with me as I'm doing most stuff by foot at the moment (and a little bit of fast travel if I just want to complete a quest)

65 hours, 2 Beasts, 6 memories and a whole lot of fun along the road.

Curious to the DLC that tracks the path you've taken. Guess that will show up quite a few undiscovered spots on the map. Can imagine that being useful if you're trying to find Korok's if you're done with the game but still feel like wandering.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Maps are great.

P for pirate, yo.

Treasure_Island.png

T for treasure up at the top-left by the cave.
  • Fuck. That game probably started my fondness for the medium.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I'm with Chalice on this. Adds to level of immersion if you just ignore map (most of the time).

Depends... I've recently developed a new found appreciation of the 2D map. Sometimes, I zoom right in, and find some odd little wrinkle in the map like "The fuck is that?"... Then set off to find it...

It's excellent.

It's especially cool when the NPC's drop place names, and you know the location they've described sits within the gamut of that world...

It's not just bullshit made up to pad out the narrative, like in 99% of other games.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    On the
    Spoiler:
    , if your zoom the map right in you can actually see it, which is handy because the area is pretty big and difficult to run around in.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That took me absolutely ages to find, mostly because I thought it would be close to the other thing you find up there.
  • Kow wrote:
    On the
    Spoiler:
    , if your zoom the map right in you can actually see it, which is handy because the area is pretty big and difficult to run around in.

And I expect the quest marker is back where  you got the quest.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yep. But that's a good thing. I really dislike games that just signpost everything on a map.
  • Bob needs his hand held through his games though.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Fuck. That game probably started my fondness for the medium.

Sure did for me. My first openworld game, as well.
  • Kow wrote:
    Yep. But that's a good thing. I really dislike games that just signpost everything on a map.
    One of things that always puts me off open-world games is the clutter on the map....so many different things calling for you to look at and go to it really distracts me, to the point i don't feel like i make any progress cos i'm too busy following icons and worried i'll miss something important if i don't...which usually just leads to me not playing anymore.

Zelda breaks this problem by having a huge world with loads of things to do, but the only things on the map really are the things you choose to put on there...it makes it easier to focus on the destination/mission if you want, and if you do go wandering instead, it's because you've seen something interesting that you want to investigate - not because a load of icons popped up and planted a nagging doubt that 'maybe you should do these first just in case'.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yiga clan hideout,
    Spoiler:
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Yiga clan hideout, 2nd room is epically pissing me off. I fecking hate stealth sections.

Yeah... That took me a while.

Also, SPOILERS!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Seeing as we're going there.

Spoiler:
  • I've only managed two. I didn't have fun either time.
  • I spent the 1st half of my 120 odd hours playthrough avoiding, sneaky past, only facing when I had to, after a few harsh lessons learnt early on.
    Spoiler:
  • Seeing as we're going there.
    Spoiler:

In my game save 
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!