Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Chocka with spoilage:

Climbing and gliding really saves its openworld play, 'cause I realise when watching that how much sightseeing there is.
  • I can barely tell the difference. Looks a bit darker. This stuff is a bit pointless. The game looks stunning as it is.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    60 frames is always welcome though.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Again, dark as fuck. I've no idea what the point is.
  • Why even bother? Looks fine as it is.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Loving the immediate start to this game. Not too much hand holding. Great making your way to the first village and exploring as much or as little as you wish. Dialogue is still slow, find myself skipping though it.

Playing this along side Mario is really odd. Totally different gameplay and controls. Might stick with Mario for another few weeks before I get solidly back into this.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Sod Mario, play this.
  • I found Mario to be structurally very similar. Both games are almost two interpretations of a single aim.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I found Mario to be structurally very similar. Both games are almost two interpretations of a single aim.

YES
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I found Mario to be structurally very similar. Both games are almost two interpretations of a single aim.

How so?
    Get schwifty.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The little men run around.
  • I see very little similarity in structure.
  • Raiziel wrote:

How so?

Both are games about exploring. The framing of each scene ensures you see something that makes you want to go there and both will reward you for going to the place you think looks interesting. The games both carry this loop of

ooh shiny
    Go there
    Ooh another shiny.

And so on.

There are differences,the way you move and the rewards (zelda is slower and often rewards going somewhere with a challenge shrine, while Mario has the challenge as part of the getting there and the ends with a token)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That sounds like an awful lot of games to me.  So they’re only alike in the broadest of definitions.  In my opinion obvs.
    Get schwifty.
  • I could be underestimating other games do this (hey if you can tell me more - I guess Skyrims and Fallout?!), but, I disagree that it’s something a lot of games do.

I specifically said “framing” and by that I mean the enticements are visually crafted in game, using the scenery to filter out most and highlight one or two max interesting thing. This is also coupled with zero explicit instructions.

All of this is within the architecture of the world as opposed to a dot on a map.

It’s interesting that both came out this year from Nintendo.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I see very little similarity in structure.

More info, perhaps?
  • I agree there is a great similarity visually, within framing. Although Mario has immediate reward Where as Zelda is about stamina and patience.

And also the fucking controls. I'm too old to adapt to a different jump button in any one evening.
  • Andy wrote:
    More info, perhaps?

Odyssey is divided into set levels, which must be progressed linearly. Sure, you can backtrack, but you cannot progress to the next area until you’ve done a specific number of things, some of which are set in stone. BotW is an open world which can be roamed as you please. You can abandon tasks mid way, pick up side quests, then return to those half completed tasks as you see fit. You can have multiple pending tasks at any time. With Odyssey, you can’t really do that. If you are sidetracked, you have to see it through, or start again. The gameplay structure is built on trial and retrial until a result is achieved in a set way. There is no emergence like we see in BotW

As such, the signposting Crayon is referring to is, imho, totally different in the two games. As has been discussed, in BotW it is designed to funnel you towards things in a manner that feels like you found it. In Odyssey, it is simply the case of starting each level with the camera showing you your ultimate goal; it’s no different from 1001 other 3D games in that respect. The clever funnelling is absent, it’s a sledgehammer knocking your face to look in the direction of your main objective.

The structural similarities begin and end at ‘navigate avatar around environment in order to complete objectives’, at which point we’d be as well saying that all videogamedom is structurally the same.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Andy taking the long way around to say...
    Raiziel wrote:
    That sounds like an awful lot of games to me.

But well said, Andy.
    Get schwifty.
  • I was just ignoring it. Yes, well done Andy for taking the time.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    None of those things are new.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm with ya Crayon, sod em.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    More info, perhaps?
    Odyssey is divided into set levels, which must be progressed linearly. Sure, you can backtrack, but you cannot progress to the next area until you’ve done a specific number of things, some of which are set in stone. BotW is an open world which can be roamed as you please. You can abandon tasks mid way, pick up side quests, then return to those half completed tasks as you see fit. You can have multiple pending tasks at any time. With Odyssey, you can’t really do that. If you are sidetracked, you have to see it through, or start again. The gameplay structure is built on trial and retrial until a result is achieved in a set way. There is no emergence like we see in BotW As such, the signposting Crayon is referring to is, imho, totally different in the two games. As has been discussed, in BotW it is designed to funnel you towards things in a manner that feels like you found it. In Odyssey, it is simply the case of starting each level with the camera showing you your ultimate goal; it’s no different from 1001 other 3D games in that respect. The clever funnelling is absent, it’s a sledgehammer knocking your face to look in the direction of your main objective. The structural similarities begin and end at ‘navigate avatar around environment in order to complete objectives’, at which point we’d be as well saying that all videogamedom is structurally the same.

I mostly agree with that, but you have to concede that there are some similarities in some of the challenges offered by both games.

To liken Korok seed placement in many instances to the location of a good number of Mario moons, is an undeniable one, for sure. Another parallel can also be drawn between the function of Mario's 'hat doors' and the shrines in BotW.

These are pretty large components of both games.

So yeah, on a superficial level, I definitely agree with you. They are as different as you have explained...

But both games are also doing very similar things to encourage prolonged play, and in that, it's fair for people to confuse some aspects of both experiences.
  • Nice to have caused a mild argument. Proud of myself.
  • I mostly agree with that, but you have to concede that there are some similarities in some of the challenges offered by both games. To liken Korok seed placement in many instances to the location of a good number of Mario moons, is an undeniable one, for sure.
    No, I can deny that fairly easily.

Another parallel can also be drawn between the function of Mario's 'hat doors' and the shrines in BotW.
    I’m a little more minded to agree with this, but I still don’t think it’s sufficient to support some unifying theory that doesn’t just come down to ‘videogames’.

These are pretty large components of both games. So yeah, on a superficial level, I definitely agree with you. They are as different as you have explained... But both games are also doing very similar things to encourage prolonged play, and in that, it's fair for people to confuse some aspects of both experiences.
    Again, they’re not doing anything so similar to each other that doesn’t also make them similar to all games with collectibles.
  • I mostly agree with that, but you have to concede that there are some similarities in some of the challenges offered by both games. To liken Korok seed placement in many instances to the location of a good number of Mario moons, is an undeniable one, for sure.
    No, I can deny that pretty easily.

Another parallel can also be drawn between the function of Mario's 'hat doors' and the shrines in BotW.
    I’ll give you that one. But I don’t see that it supports some unifying theory that somehow doesn’t include all other videogames.

These are pretty large components of both games. So yeah, on a superficial level, I definitely agree with you. They are as different as you have explained... But both games are also doing very similar things to encourage prolonged play, and in that, it's fair for people to confuse some aspects of both experiences.
    The similar things they’re doing to encourage prolonged play are collectibles. Again, ‘videogames’.
  • That’s what happens when you think you’ve lost a post to the ether, redo it, then find out it did save.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!