Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • At least people actually played the ranked games in H3, as opposed to steering clear of them in Reach.

On now :)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Yeah however obselete H3 ranked was it was still infinitely better than Reach's system, because nobody plays Reach's ranked system. Also, WAY too much was made of the 2nd accounter problem back then, resulting in Reach's joke of an 'Arena' now. It really wasn't that bad. They certainly didn't break the ranking system.
    GT: Knight640
  • Again, I'd argue that you wouldn't have seen the extent of the problem Knight, being that you were a 50.

My highest is 27. Almost every game would see someone way, way, way too good for that game. And you'd check them and see that they had a gamerscore of 250. All online Halo 3 achievements.

If you were good enough to get to the mid 40's and up, you'd likely not notice these people, because they would have been around your level anyway.
  • Would you really though? "Almost every game"? If that was true then it would mean that I'd be seeing an absolute ton of 2nd accounters once they'd worked their way up to 45+ and I simply didn't see the numbers of people necessary for you to be playing at least 1 2nd accounter 'almost every game'. However, the MLG list was undoubtedly much worse, because a 50 in that was more highly prized than any other list, so if you were playing a decent amount of MLG I'll happily concede. That list was absolutely plagued with 2nd accounters, and I know because of the amount of low XP players I'd come up against at the higher levels.

GT: Knight640
  • My main list was Lone Wolves, and it's mostly this I'm referring to. Though I seem to recall Team Doubles became rife with this too. Post Reach, it seems to have got worse.

Bear in mind that I played a lot less than you, so my almost every game would be lot less then yours.
  • Nice few games.

Cheers fellas.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Awesome games, not quite as vocal tonight as normal, baby is asleep upstairs...

Dante is totally right, I remember going from 30 to 40 in lone wolves and it was a huge pain in the arse.  I could usually handle most people per game but there would always be at least one 2nd account absolutely trouncing everyone else.  I levelled out at about 38-40 as the games became more evenly matched.

Definitely worse in doubles.  But who remembers the hilariously BAD 2nd accounters, the ones that bought their 50 and were just terrible :)

I still preferred that slightly abused ranking system to any other I've played.

Trying to hit that next rank kept me coming back and practicing harder than credits/cosmetic armor and the silly Arena bands.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    @Knight, I'm with @Dante. Halo 3's system was utterly gimped by second accounters. Depending on the play list, you would find a second account almost every game. Like people have said, if you were already high ranked, you wouldn't really notice, because a guy who's really a 50 playing as 43 isn't going to make much difference. For those of us in the 20s and 30s, we could never get any higher because we'd get beaten by a level 10 (who was really a 50 in MLG) called 'iTz BR A POPPIN v.2' or some shit. Shyam and I had to give up Doubles because there was no point playing it, every damn team we played was two guys with second accounts, or a second accounter boosting his buddy.

I agree that 3's ranking system was better than Reach's, but people are dicks, especially on XBL, and it was ruined by the players.

Arena was probably a step too far, but I can see why Bungie tried it. Arena was abandoned because you had to play X games in Y time, which means you can't play on your own schedule, and because Reach (as we've discussed) didn't have that competitive a style of play.

I still think the best solution would be something of a blend of Reach and Halo 3. If you start a second account you lose your permanent rank, all the armour you've unlocked, something to make you want to keep your first account. The competitive play lists should have a second ranking, one that goes up and down depending on how well you're doing.

Knight, second accounts weren't a problem for you because you were already a 40+er. Towards the end of Halo 3's life, for those of us of mid rank, the ranking system may as well have not existed. We may as well have been fighting completely random people, because the game thought that 'iTz BR MAN 64 v3' was the same skill as me, when he was actually much higher. Trust me on this, Knight, for us of middling skill, Halo 3 was almost ruined by second accounters. I know, because I really started to hate ranked Halo 3 in the run up to Reach. Halo 3, for me, was not as much fun, because of second accounters. You can argue it wasn't a problem as much as you want, but for me, it really was a problem. You may as well try to persuade me that a type of food I dislike is actually delicious.

@Billy_Hologram I did love the bought accounts. "I've just spent $100 to get a number next to my name in Halo 3's MLG list. Hmm, I'm a bit shit, though, don't want to lose my 50. I know, I'll just play multi-team all the time, and call people fagnoobs! A WINNER IS ME."
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • So will hopefully be on for a few games tonight again, if anyone's about?
  • Ooh I can always be talked into Halo!! Though remember if it's classic the opposition can't touch me,it's its vanilla Reach I can't touch them down to moaning and frustration.
  • Plus there's been some interesting things said by O'Connor recently on Neo-Gaf, I do hope it's the first hints towards a Halo 2 remake. They did say they wanted a Halo a year. A remake of 2 could be next years.

http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/06/frank-oconnor-teases-interesting-monday.html?m=1
  • I think he's been on record as saying there is no H2 remake on the cards.

I'm kinda glad. While CE more than holds up, 2 is a mess and a chore to get through (played through recently).

Very much looking forward to monday though. 

I'll try and get on for 930-10. I don't mind winning at classic so much.
  • Right, jumping on for a few games now.
  • JRPC wrote:
    While CE more than holds up, 2 is a mess and a chore to get through (played through recently).

It would need to be more re-imagining than remake like CEA.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • 2 had the weakest campaign experience if only because it made me play The Arbiter which I had no interest in and the constant jumping between roles. Also remember Sniper Alley on Legendary? I would place ODST in top-spot followed by 3 and CE in joint 2nd and Reach a very close 3rd.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • 2 had the weakest campaign experience if only because it made me play The Arbiter which I had no interest in and the constant jumping between roles. Also remember Sniper Alley on Legendary? I would place CE in top-spot followed by 3 and ODST in joint 2nd and Reach a very close 3rd.

Bloody new forum - messed up your post.

Don't worry, fixed.
  • Yeah im ever a fan of character switching in games, didnt like it in halo, was magnified stupidlyin cod, i had no idea who the hell i washalf the time!

I think im defo going to be whacking out some games on Reach this week, have yet to try out the no bloom, also still up for anniversay co op if anyone is around!!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    You guys are clearly mental. Playing as the Arbiter was amazeballs.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • im not sure what that means, but if it means 'shit' youre bang on the money!
    I thought it distracted from the character, I had just been killing the shit out of the covvie bastards and was now playing as the guy whoms sole purpose was to plasma sword my hind. I commited suicide to no avail, had to soldier on.
  • I actually like the Arbiter as a character. I think the problem was that the game around him wasn't up to scratch. I'd be fine with Arbiter sections in 4 (although I doubt it).

The problem with 2 was it was obviously unfinished and rushed out the door. I'm pretty sure I remember Bungie saying as much, too.

It had it's moments mind. I love the Hog bits at the beginning and the tank across the bridge was ace.
  • I did like the tank :)

Il be honest though, I was confused as fuck with the story, so the covies came to earth because there was a relic buried there/here? But they only sent a few ships? Was there a tracking becon on it or somesuch? They didnt know we were here? Someone help.
  • You shoot aliens, Hulka. With laser guns.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hulka T wrote:
    o the covies came to earth because there was a relic buried there/here? But they only sent a few ships? Was there a tracking becon on it or somesuch? They didnt know we were here? Someone help.

Yes. They work out during CE or early on in 2 that the gizmo that sets all the Halos off at once is buried on Earth. The Covenant want to use it to achieve {insert religious shite here}. However, as the humans have been guarding the location of Earth from the Covenant (hence why the Pillar of Autumn makes a random jump at the start of Halo CE), the covies didn't realise that the two planets were the same place. This is why they turn up with fuck all ships for the "invasion" of Earth.

Also, what Tiger said.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Why the fuck is the text in the quote struck through?
  • I have never seen such a big nerd fail at forum shit on such a regular basis.

Lol Swirl <3
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Hulka T wrote:
    o the covies came to earth because there was a relic buried there/here? But they only sent a few ships? Was there a tracking becon on it or somesuch? They didnt know we were here? Someone help.
    Yes. They work out during CE or early on in 2 that the gizmo that sets all the Halos off at once is buried on Earth. The Covenant want to use it to achieve {insert religious shite here}. However, as the humans have been guarding the location of Earth from the Covenant (hence why the Pillar of Autumn makes a random jump at the start of Halo CE), the covies didn't realise that the two planets were the same place. This is why they turn up with fuck all ships for the "invasion" of Earth. Also, what Tiger said.

Hang on, wasn't the whole point of Reach that it wasn't a random jump?
  • No,no,no they found Reach after landing a small probe on the UNSC Iroquois,Keyes ship before the Autumn. The probe took pictures of the stars everywhere the Iroquois went and sent them back.

As for Earth it was and wasn't an accident. The covenant found Earth kind of by accident as the Prophet of Regret had found the co-ordinates for the Ark,not expecting it to be the human home world. Finding earth was just a result of the ark being there. Hence the scarab as its actual practical use is for mining not attack. Cortana mentions no human presence was expected by Regret and that's why his fleet is so small  when your descending in the elevator on Halo 05.
  • No, I mean wasn't the point of getting Cortana to the Autumn at the end of Reach so that they could find the Halo ring?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    No, I mean wasn't the point of getting Cortana to the Autumn at the end of Reach so that they could find the Halo ring?

Oh, maybe.

Shows how much attention I was paying to the plot of Reach, I guess.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!