Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Should have done an assault rifle joke really...

Played some 3 at the weekend and it was GOOD.  I would share a nice base-to-base sticky I got on Boundless but y'know, Bungie Pro :(  Wish I'd rendered those 3 games of teh awesum we played before Reach came out.  Rumble Pit was also full of killers which was odd, showed up how rusty I was too, especially with CQC.
    I find this more amusing than I think it should be:
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Wait, so even 343's video leaks aren't as good as Bungie's? They've got no chance here have they. Sigh.

What are you wittering on about chap, and why is there a tone in your post.

Dante already said it but Bungie didn't deliberately fake leak VHS footage to generate marketing hype, they made wonderful and cryptic AR (Augmented Reality) games to tease new stuff.  having said that, I love bees was actually outsourced to another company by MS.  The point stands that some methods of marketing are more enjoyable than others.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Well, when Bungie are cranking out annualised updates for the Activision sausage machine I'm sure there'll be lots of lovely Bungieesque marketing to enjoy.
  • And if it's along the lines of i love bees or iris then that'll be great.  We can all enjoy it together Mod, every year!11 like one big massive BUNGIEHALOLLOVINGFANCLUB  <3
  • Yeah. The issue so far is that the ideas and mechanics apparently being introduced to Halo MP can / probably will substantially change the experience, in ways that most posters in this thread fear is for the worse.

It's speculation, sure, but you can surely understand the concerns, whatever your opinion of previous Halo MP experiences.

When the studio in charge seems to lack intelligence, subtlety and good execution in one area (viral marketing), it does not do much to reassure us of their intelligence, subtlety and good execution in others (implementing new mechanics in Halo 4 MP).

Does that make sense?
  • I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well from my point of view. And this is just my point of view as a gamer not a Halo die hard so please don't go all "you just don't know wah"

343 are in a monumentally difficult situation. They've been handed to premier Xbox franchise and told to make a game with it.

They need to balance keeping old fans on side with attracting new players and for the sake of their own sanity put their own stamp (stamp is a bit strong, flourish maybe) on the game.

You can understand that they'd want to try and capture some of the COD pie. It's a 3rd party game that utterly dominates the Live usage. That's their system, their game should be top.

As a gamer I think Halo should be incorporating some of those elements, it's what gamers like and are drawn towards. The franchise seems locked in the past unable to incorporate modern touches because of the resistance involved. Like it or loathe it COD is immensely popular because there's a lot of stuff they do extremely well.

I'll fully admit I've not played anything like the amount of H3 and Reach as you lot but from a mostly outsider it does seem it's rather stagnated. Bungie seemed to have been caught in the same dilemma as 343 are, pleasing fans but trying to innovate. They were probably quite sick to death of the franchise because of that.

I'm open minded. In the same way I was open minded towards Treyarch's games.

Different does not equal better, but by the same token it doesn't equal worse either.

(and wigging out when someone says they like something new isn't going to help expand the player base, natch)
  • Well, there're at least two things to address there:

1) I'd argue that keeping the existing user base happy is more important than attracting new players. This is because a) the existing user base is freaking huge; and b) introducing features that are popular in other shooters can often result in a dilution that is neither attractive to the base nor newbies (since they can already get those features they like in other games, as you point out).

2) The reason people are wigging out at you, perhaps, and this is just my take, is that the new elements you talk about do not fit in with the existing base's (not you, as you point out) ideas of what Halo MP should be about. So it's not so much criticism of you personally, for saying "I like the sound of some of these ideas", it's criticism of the ideas and their apparent non-fit with established Halo mechanics - and your subsequent criticism of those mechanics being used by you as justification for the new ideas. You can see how that may not go down very well with fans of the current mechanics, right?

Edit: to clarify the last statement, you can see why you criticising the mechanics as a non-hardcore player of the game and using them as justification to introduce new mechanics is not going down favourably

And also, there is a difference between adding flourishes (which I'm sure would be welcomed by the base) and changing the mechanics wholesale (which is what people here are worried about, even though it may not happen).
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm not denying the Halo player base is large, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

However there was a time when it was number one, then COD game along and ate its lunch.

Yes, the player base is large, but you have to look at the relatively.

"Keep customer base roughly what it is now" rarely appears on a list of project objectives.
  • That is basically the gist of it.  Halo and COD have very different mechanics, if one adopts too many features of the other then you essentially have the same game.  Which we obviously don't want. Especially if you didn't like the games the new features came from.

Issues of balancing market appeal on 343s shoulders aside, I'm purely considering how the game is shaping up.

Obviously they want growth, but it's a shame they are drawing on a game with mechanics that don't gel well with what makes Halo so good.
  • Yup - although I think "make sure existing base doesn't abandon us" should be on those objectives more often. I'm sure 343 are very conscious of that, tbf, and I harbour hopes that they will not move too far from the current template - introducing changes that make sense and enhance, rather than slavishly looking at COD-type mechanics and adding it to the bucket list labelled: "shit COD does".
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Obviously they want growth, but it's a shame they are drawing on a game with mechanics that don't gel well with what makes Halo so good.
    Yup, 343 should be innovating, leading the FPS genre into pastures new with a revitalised Halo, not just borrowing from its younger peers. We certainly don't want Halo to turn out like the latest Ghost Recon – a pastiche of other games with little voice of its own.

I'm remaining optimistic for now. There's too little info, and while singular changes may seem out of key, there may be others that redress the balance that makes Halo so great to play.

We shall see...
  • We shall see indeed. I'm hinging my hopes on the idea that 343 are spectacularly bad at PR, and what they've cribbed from COD has been recast to make it feel like Halo, and not chucked in there for a bullet point.

Attempting to rip off COD is not a recipe for success. The only thing that has worked for is COD. It's like all the MMO's marching in a big long line wearing a 'Lets all be like Warcraft tshirt. COD took on Halo by not being Halo. Halo should fight back by not being COD.
  • ummm one person half jokingly said they prefer the bungie viral advert and we are all foaming at the mouth bungie fanboys lol.

343 have got a tough job. good luck to em, let's hope they make a good game above all else.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well apparently because 343s marketing isn't up to Bungie's standards their game won't be either, so, um, yep?
  • That's not at all what was said.
  • all i saw was this: 
    lame.  i miss Bungie's AR games.

I don't even know what that means but i'm pretty sure it doesn't say 'that advert sucks so the game definitely will suck'
    I made an earlier comment based on the content of the video, not the quality or virality (lolol) of the advert.
  • I did say "When the studio in charge seems to lack intelligence, subtlety and good execution in one area (viral marketing), it does not do much to reassure us of their intelligence, subtlety and good execution in others (implementing new mechanics in Halo 4 MP)."
    I still think that's a fair statement, but more likely to be the one that Mod was performing a reductio ad absurdum on.
  • why is everyone whispering?
  • G.man's asleep.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I still think that's a fair statement, but more likely to be the one that Mod was performing a reductio ad absurdum on.

Um, you made you statement after mine. I didn't comment on yours.

Djorn was doing a bit of the old reducto.
  • Ah right. Whoops. Apologies then!
  • is that a word? i don't get it. i'm going to assume it was a lovely compliment.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That is basically the gist of it. Halo and COD have very different mechanics, if one adopts too many features of the other then you essentially have the same game.  Which we obviously don't want. Especially if you didn't like the games the new features came from. Issues of balancing market appeal on 343s shoulders aside, I'm purely considering how the game is shaping up. Obviously they want growth, but it's a shame they are drawing on a game with mechanics that don't gel well with what makes Halo so good.

+1

Right, what's next? Bloom? BR vs DMR? Ooh, the BR spread! We haven't done that in a while.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm currently watching Ninja (aka Tyler Blevins, MLG Halo pro) stream some Halo 3 games. He said something that I thought was quite interesting; MLG should have treated Reach the same way they treated CoD World At War. Basically, MLG switched between 3 and Reach simply because Reach was Halo and it was the newest one. However, with CoD, they keep playing the old one until the new one demonstrates how well it handles competitive play. Going back to CoD, there were very few if any WaW tournaments, people just played WaW for fun. MLG still (IIRC) uses Black Ops as its CoD game, they've yet to switch to MW3.

I know it's not an exact parallel, as CoD has a much more frequent release schedule, so it doesn't matter as much if they don't always switch to the latest version. Also, the CoDs tend to be much closer to each other than the Halos are; despite sharing a similar ethos, few would claim that Halo 2 plays similarly to Reach. Someone who's really good at BlOps, though, will probably be good at MW3, while a lot of Halo pros have struggled to switch between the games.

There's not really a point here, just thought what he said was interesting. Is it possible that Reach was switched to too quickly?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Sometimes I think about the fact that I haven't played Halo for what feels like years and I get a sad. I look forward to hopefully returning to active noob duty as long as 343 don't fuck it up.

Please change the thread title to: 'Halo is it me you're looking four?' so that I can get rid of the sad through the magic of puns.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'd say yes.

Agreed. I played Reach for the first time in ages last night and this morning and, while vanilla Reach was definitely a poor start, I'd argue that Anniversary mode is as good as Halo's ever been.
  • Yeah, it's funny, it's actually been bashed into some very good shape. Still, the numbers, as mod mentions above, aren't quite there. Certainly enough numbers to be getting a game whenever you want, but not amaze, by any stretch.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • There's also some weird stuff that still sticks. CQC is a bit inconsistent, for example. I think that's the movement speed throwing it off. There's only so much they could fix though, I suppose.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!