Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • I'll be interested to see where they go with the franchise. The multiplayer has never been my personal kind of thing, but I always bought them for the SP (then co-op) back in the day, and the first few overall were really great stuff. Now I get that the MP is the big thing for most of you, but there's still a lot of people will be looking at it for the SP, and boy do they have a big problem there.

As mentioned in this thread, Me, Sparkles, Webbo and Franny did a full co-op run of Halo5's SP campaign a couple of weeks ago, and fuck me is it a dumpster fire of epic proportions. None of us had the faintest idea what the hell was going on at any point of the "story" and the levels were a sprawling, baffling mess. Switching between two completely different squads coming at the same story from different angles was an appalling idea that just didn't work at all, because it's a 1st person game, so I don't know what my character even looks like, and all the other characters look identical.
    I came to finish the fight as Master Chef, but seemed to be playing the game as a random woman called Linda. Da fuk?
    The levels are huge, full of fabulous looking art design, but don't stand looking at it them too long, or indeed get separated from your team, because the game in it's wisdom, will continually, and without any warning, warp you back to the vicinity of your team, even if you're in the midst of combat. Absolutely dreadful design decision.
    I had no idea who the awful new enemies are, or who is actually fighting who, or what anyone is trying to achieve, and every so often they'd throw in something that was clearly designed as a hub area, but actually served no purpose whatsoever.
    It's only blessing was that the shooty-shooty mechanics were still solid and fun, because, really it had nothing else going for it.

It's a game that reeks of troubled development, and rush release to meet deadlines, and MS are going to have to rethink the entire franchise if they want to get the casual shooter audience back on board.

Other thing that worries me about the franchise is whatever they do next, it's also going to have to run on current gen hardware. You think they'd maybe have looked at the original Destiny game which was hobbled by the same challenge and thought, maybe that's a bad idea.

So yup, going to be at the very least, interesting to see what they've come up with.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah and the single player is often a gateway for the multiplayer. I suspect the drop off in multiplayer population is partly due to the multiplayer but also partly due to the campaigns in H4 and H5 being awful. I’m not expecting to even touch the single player in Infinite.
    GT: Knight640
  • I'll be interested to see how they're incorporating the potentially disastrous design decision of having the new Halo also run on current-gen hardware. You'd think they would have looked at the original Destiny game which followed the same design decision, and realise that it's probably not a good idea.
  • Knight wrote:
    Yeah and the single player is often a gateway for the multiplayer. I suspect the drop off in multiplayer population is partly due to the multiplayer but also partly due to the campaigns in H4 and H5 being awful. I’m not expecting to even touch the single player in Infinite.
    Absolutely. Halo is a very old franchise now, and there are entire generations of new gamers to whom it means little or nothing. If you can't hook them in with a solid SP run through, then you're not going to get many to stay on board for the MP.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There is one great level in Halo 5 and it's up there with the best of Halo - the sky elevator one. I still remember that.

That being said, there's some missions where it is literally go talk to this person, and it reeks of the decline in Halo. I think I hate stripper Cortana in 4 more than anything else ever, but 5 is just disappointing. As mentioned elsewhere, the MP is absolutely banging.

I've been loving playing the MCC on PC, and the work they have put into some of these is incredible. I hear the 3 remaster is a bit more perfunctory, but its also Halo 3 so it'll be a banger no matter what.
  • I mean for fuck sake. There's a hologram man dressed up as fucking Biggles, who keeps turning up with exposition nobody understands in Halo5. What drugs were they taking when they signed off on this shite.
  • I've genuinely never in my life played a story driven game, where I had less of a clue just what the fuck was going on.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I've genuinely never in my life played a story driven game, where I had less of a clue just what the fuck was going on.

Breakpoint.
  • Nah, that's a broken mess, but it has a simple story.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    whats interesting is halo 1 is obviously a clear "aliens" alike - we gotta get this thing to x to do y. Its real basic.

Halo 2 is a little more rashomon, and there's some awkwardness revisiting the 'both sidesness' in it, but its still pretty OK.

Halo 3 is Danny Boyle's Sunshine - we are going one way, and this might save the world but also end us.

Reach is a suicide mission and odst is the view of the people on the street.

4 had to do something new, and it feels like how do you do the matrix 2 or 3 following the success of the first ones? And like those films, the response is bloat. Expand the world, push everything wider, but thinner.

5 has been pushed out on Bone to get a game on Bone and there's no plot and also sitting as a midpoint it is like there's no direction.
  • Totally agree.
  • I genuinely have no fucking idea who I'm fighting or why in Halo any more.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a crime up there with the fate of Mass Effect.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You know what you only made 3 1/2 of? fable. Make a new fable you fucks.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm probably one of 3 people here who saw their way through the journey when I went to stay at my friends in Manchester and it rained for 4 days.
  • I genuinely think it's at the stage where a new franchise with similar mechanics would do better than another attempt to reheat the Halo story.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh you mean destiny
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Oh you mean destiny
    I suppose that would be the problem, anything new would have to be all Games As A Service with seasons and MMO stuff.
  • Does kinda seem like they should let Halo retire now.
  • The first thing that happened when I booted Halo5 for the first time was a message telling me that Black Lives Matter, and here's some loot boxes for you to open. Not really what I was looking for tbh.
  • Fucking loot boxes are the harbinger of design death.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Did anyone ever find out how to gift those loot boxes that you can only gift to your friends?

The story was utter bobbins, and I wasn't happy that a lot of stuff that looked like it would be fun to play was kept to cutscenes, but I still had a lot of fun with the campaign so it was easily worth it for me. I think there's only one Halo game with a decent story, and that's Reach. The rest are forgettable/pure nonsense.

I'm definitely interested in playing the next one.
  • Yeah, don't get me wrong, we still all had hella good fun playing it in co-op, but I'm pretty sure if I'd been going solo I'd just have binned it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Its incredible that we are in a position to ask the new halo to NOT BE SHITE
  • Halo 5 multiplayer is great but its so different to Halo 3. I love Halo 3. I cant love Halo 5 the same not because it's worse, just personal preference.

G - I'm 100% with you there. I may love Halo 3 multiplayer but i also love H1/H2/H3/Reach campaigns and H4 to a lesser extent. H5 was quite poor and again, felt like a completely different game. I got like £20 worth enjoyment out of it, but i hope for more from infinite.

In other news, you can fly in Halo 3 now:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-16-13-years-later-halo-3-has-a-brand-new-skull
  • I can't remember much of 5.
    What I do remember is the new enemies had some red gem in their chest and shooting that was pretty much mandatory. That made half the weapons a waste of time so I stuck with the BR and new alien version of the BR.
    Doing so made my finger hurt from pulling the trigger a lot.
  • I hope they soft reboot for Infinite.
    Just drop all that shite from 4 and 5. Give us Covenant races to shoot at with the carefully balanced selection of human and alien weapons.
  • I liked the original trilogy campaigns - plus Reach and ODST - but have barely touched those of 4 and 5. Seemed garbage.

Halo 5 multiplayer is still some of the best around today. And it feels rock solid. Dedicated servers.and high FPS ftw.

Infinite is supposedly something of a reboot. No idea how they'll approach it. I think the PvP is near enough guaranteed to be stellar but the campaign side is very much an unknown. Intrigued to see what they try and if they can pull it off. At the very least I'm sure we'll see some magic on the technical side.

If there is a BR mode... ODST drop pods please.
  • I would quite like them to drop the me too stuff and release a pure arena shooter but I can't see it happening.

For the campaign drop 4 and 5 in the bin and pretend they never happened.
  • I can't see them not having a proper arena. It is in literally every Halo game (though they fucked 4) and is a huge part of the appeal.

That's not to say they don't copy lots of stuff badly for other modes...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!