Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • I've really got into Battle Royale with COD Warzone so i'd be excited to try Battle Royale Halo. Maybe it won't work, but worth a try
  • Yeah, I can't quite envisage how it would look.
  • I don't know why we expect a game nearly 20 years old to still be relevant. It'll appeal to the core fans but outside that, it's had its day. That's not a slight btw. Franchises like Mario can apply themselves to different genres, stay fresh, mix things up. Halo and its ilk can't. It's done. Halo is done. It'll still release games that are great, but the glory days are long since over.
  • Have never been crazy fanatic about the series but I've played them all. Really, really, stupidly enjoyed my brief time with the oldrum crew on 3. I actually have fond memories of 4, SP and MP. And 5 just washed over me after a SP playthrough.

I'd just like a super solid MP with decent playlists and it be constantly updated. Please, please, please don't go BR.
  • Halo MCC MP on Live could be what L4D2 is to Steam.
    Comfort gaming mp to keep 'em coming back for more.

Shame Halo's overarching narrative is stuck in a rut. It was once it's strongest point. Get the narrative and the refreshed gameplay loop right or like Valve don't bother updating at all? The ip needs a serious rethink.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • nick_md wrote:
    I don't know why we expect a game nearly 20 years old to still be relevant. It'll appeal to the core fans but outside that, it's had its day. That's not a slight btw. Franchises like Mario can apply themselves to different genres, stay fresh, mix things up. Halo and its ilk can't. It's done. Halo is done. It'll still release games that are great, but the glory days are long since over.

Loads of games that old are relevant. Counter Strike and call of duty spring to mind.
    GT: Knight640
  • Halo's still relevant. The problem is how to advance past it.
    Destiny is one way of doing it although some hardcore Bungie fans would argue they haven't surpassed the original Halo trilogy on xbox.
  • Knight wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    I don't know why we expect a game nearly 20 years old to still be relevant. It'll appeal to the core fans but outside that, it's had its day. That's not a slight btw. Franchises like Mario can apply themselves to different genres, stay fresh, mix things up. Halo and its ilk can't. It's done. Halo is done. It'll still release games that are great, but the glory days are long since over.

Loads of games that old are relevant. Counter Strike and call of duty spring to mind.

Yet Halo isn't. It's done. The two examples you give are grounded in realism, which is probably why they persist. (I prefer the fantastical ftr, I love halo).

Halo is finished outside its core base. This isn't me saying it's shit, it's just how it is.
  • I’m sure there’ll be arena. They’re already talking esports and that requires arena 4v4 Halo. But I reckon BR could work. BR works in very different types of shooters and in some ways BTB style formats are a clear forerunner to BR. Don’t see how they ensure high arena multiplayer quality though if they split their efforts.
  • Well, they haven’t. I mean, I played a lot of destiny, but fighting hive at light level one feels the same as at level 850. The tight AI and emergent gameplay is gone in place of MMO-lite-lite mechanics and numberwang.

Great games, still, but they’re no Halo 1-3.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

Yet Halo isn't. It's done. The two examples you give are grounded in realism, which is probably why they persist. (I prefer the fantastical ftr, I love halo).

Halo is finished outside its core base. This isn't me saying it's shit, it's just how it is.

Yeah perhaps. And I think you could argue that chasing relevance (at no point did halo ever need a sprint mechanic) is what made things go wrong quality wise in the first place.
  • Well, they haven’t. I mean, I played a lot of destiny, but fighting hive at light level one feels the same as at level 850. The tight AI and emergent gameplay is gone in place of MMO-lite-lite mechanics and numberwang. Great games, still, but they’re no Halo 1-3.

Agreed.
  • nick_md wrote:

Doom would like a word.
  • nick_md wrote:

Doom would like a word.

Doom (classic Doom) hasn't changed though, it's remained exactly what it is.
  • Knight wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

Yeah perhaps. And I think you could argue that chasing relevance (at no point did halo ever need a sprint mechanic) is what made things go wrong quality wise in the first place.

Deffo, chasing relevance is halo's demise. As soon as they added a sprint, I was out.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Yet Halo isn't. It's done. The two examples you give are grounded in realism, which is probably why they persist. (I prefer the fantastical ftr, I love halo). Halo is finished outside its core base. This isn't me saying it's shit, it's just how it is.
    Deffo, chasing relevance is halo's demise. As soon as they added a sprint, I was out.

Agree with this. I mean, sprint was a huge problem for me. Changes the game massively. I thought Halo 5 MP still had its following in esports though, does it not? I guess im not completely following what you mean by 'Halo is done.'
  • I still have a faint glimmer of hope that the MP will be some kind of revolutionary benchmark for online entertainment. Lord knows the console market needs a kick up the arse in that respect. I can't see it though. At best it will be a graphical showcase and a straight up balls out FPS game. No bad thing, but I need a bit more from a shooter after Destiny.
  • Djornson wrote:

Agree with this. I mean, sprint was a huge problem for me. Changes the game massively. I thought Halo 5 MP still had its following in esports though, does it not? I guess im not completely following what you mean by 'Halo is done.'

I'm being a bit ott, but by done I mean it has nothing new to offer and won't ever achieve the same position of influence, it's spent.

• In terms of esports it’s viewing numbers were abysmal. Microsoft chucked a lot of money at it too.
  • Some tight firefight/pve would be nice. Given how much variation was in playlists and what forge brought to the table, I'd say a BR mode is gonna be there, and if not, someone will make it, zombies style.

I dunno, I'll be rusty AF for 4v4 action, I'd like a tight pve gameplay loop. ODST firefight springs to mind. Reach didn't nail that. If it feels more like 4/5 than 3, it's a failure.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I thought Infinite was some open world kinda thing?  Pretty sure that’s what has been hinted at and is also why the first trailer had a menagerie lolling about the place?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I thought Infinite was some open world kinda thing?  Pretty sure that’s what has been hinted at and is also why the first trailer had a menagerie lolling about the place?

I think its more that I've been saying its what I want. I want them to do the destiny thing, but to work some procedural magic on the spawns. The worst thing about destiny in this regard is I knew exactly what to do and when to do it to clear a zone. I'd love the halo aspect to create new 'combat puzzles' each time.
  • Halo (campaign) can only be saved by Bungie.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’ve been playing various Halo mp with friends and their kids, has anyone had issues with audio on H2 ?
    When we play I can’t hear anything but game chat but the other games are ok.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Had some H2 MP last night, audio was fine.
  • Have you got the X?

I’ve googled it and there’s an issue for some, just feels really random.
  • Just reinstall. It'll only take thirteen years.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Have you got the X? I’ve googled it and there’s an issue for some, just feels really random.

Yes on the X
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Have you got the X? I’ve googled it and there’s an issue for some, just feels really random.

Yes on the X
    Mmm bizarre, cheers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!