Go 8 bit , Dara O Briain etc
  • Definitely not but I've found them both more entertaining and informative.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I honestly don't think, in 2016, games really work on TV.
    I would be open to a Horizon episode based inside a dev studio. Or perhaps an insight into a Game Jam.

E-Sports on some SKY channel next to that really loud Nigerian religious channel, that would work.

Problem is the core gaming audience no longer really watch live TV. Hence it needs another angle, like 8-bit's comedy panel.

In fact I would argue 8 bit is just another panel comedy and this month's flavour is games. Next month it will be something else, it's what DAVE does.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Enjoyed this tonight. Bob Mortimer's always good value, even, apparently, after a triple heart bypass.
  • Like Bob. Holly Walsh makes me want to punch the television.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I like Walsh. The discussion about tactics for flip kick football (or whatever it was called) was one of the highlights of the show, even if unintentionally.
  • I think she fails terribly at her job. She's a comedian who's not funny.
  • Why don't they get guests who actually like videogames and are OK at it ?

Who the fuck chooses Flick kick football ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I liked the girl.

I liked bob Mortimer
    The Forum Herald™
  • I don't think Bob had played Resi much though.

Considering it was one of his favourites he was suspiciously shit.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I reckon I'd be pretty shit at most PS1-era games if I played them now. I doubt the controls on most of them have aged well.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Are we talking about ICO again?

In seriousness though I played a few PS1 games on the PS3 and with a pad they're not so bad, but when you filter it through a touchscreen or whatever it really does take a lot more away
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I couldn't play tomb raider any more.

Those controls are cack.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I played the first third of Tomb Raider again when I got my Vita and the controls were surprisingly un-cack, they just moved on very quickly after Mario 64, so the tank thing understandably disappeared.  It all works in squares, you see - i.e one hop back is the precise run up needed for a long jump.  Successfully climbing a structure was a lot more puzzle based than the point and press of Uncharted.  Top game, if the save spots weren't so far apart I probably would've worked my way through it again.
  • Was the first Tomb Raider before they added sticks to the PS1 controller?
  • Was the first Tomb Raider before they added sticks to the PS1 controller?

Yeah. They never used sticks until angel of darkness iirc

@moot I did the same with tlr and the race at the beginning really exposes how unsuited they where. It's virtually unplayable and it's the TUTORIAL
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message

I love chess but I'd describe myself as mildly competent at best.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

I love chess but I'd describe myself as mildly competent at best.

He was standing on the spot turning in circles at one point and walked backwards instead of towards the door in the first room.

I don't believe someone would forget Up is forward, even after he worked that out he didn't run one.

Wasn't as painful as the Sonic 2 round a couple of weeks ago but it was still frustrating viewing.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • They should really give them a practice go before filming. Yeah that would make it somewhat fake but worth it for the sake of entertainment.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBH, I actually prefer them being a bit shit. Keeps it away from the worst bits of Gamesmaster.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Somewhat fake?? You'll be hard pushed to find a panel show where the guests/talent don't have prior knowledge of questions etc
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I played the first third of Tomb Raider again when I got my Vita and the controls were surprisingly un-cack, they just moved on very quickly after Mario 64, so the tank thing understandably disappeared.  It all works in squares, you see - i.e one hop back is the precise run up needed for a long jump.  Successfully climbing a structure was a lot more puzzle based than the point and press of Uncharted.  Top game, if the save spots weren't so far apart I probably would've worked my way through it again.

This. Realising the entire game is built on grids is the only thing you need to know. If you can't control it after that, we'll that's on you.

Newer Tomb Raiders also replaced the 'walk means you don't fall off the edge' with 'walk means you fall off the edge, but grab on', which is idiotic design.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I played the first third of Tomb Raider again when I got my Vita and the controls were surprisingly un-cack, they just moved on very quickly after Mario 64, so the tank thing understandably disappeared.  It all works in squares, you see - i.e one hop back is the precise run up needed for a long jump.  Successfully climbing a structure was a lot more puzzle based than the point and press of Uncharted.  Top game, if the save spots weren't so far apart I probably would've worked my way through it again.
    Anniversary was pretty much the perfect balance in terms of friendlier controls and the puzzley level design.

QTEs and boss fights weren't so good, but it's still the best version for me.
  • God I hated that version. Took everything good about the game and ruined it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Wasn't as painful as the Sonic 2 round a couple of weeks ago but it was still frustrating viewing.

The Sonic 2 round was top, the last-minute overtake was aces.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I watched a few mins of that one and saw one of them trying to walk up an incline that you simply can't walk up.

I'll give another ep a try before I write it off completely, but tbh I'd prefer madskills and tatsujins etc than comedians claiming 'my favourite game' then being patently shit.
  • Or a mixture at least, pair one tatsujin up with one comedian on each team or so.
  • Yeah, I kinda get why some folk think crap is better, but it's getting to be as entertaining as a five year old hogging a demo pod.

It's funny watching somebody be shit for a few minutes. It's much better viewing to watch people who know what they're doing. That counts for pretty much any activity.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not video games. I'll take a five year old hogging a demo pod for a few minutes over someone with skills every time.
  • Yes I much prefer watching my mates hard sweep each other for a match in SF than a top contender doing JFs and parry madness.
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!