Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Those all assume at least some knowledge of video games, though.

Yes because some prior knowledge is the only way to get a telly programme on the telly (honourable mention goes out to Kabaddi here)

But then how many people do you know who have no gaming knowledge, I sincerely doubt that anyone under fifty hasn't played a few hours. I mean we grew up with consoles everywhere in front of us and we're all heading swiftly towards 40, I'm pretty sure that makes "people with prior knowledge of games" a pretty large demographic

It's people with prior knowledge of games who also enjoy watching people play games, a much smaller demographic, I'd say, and one which is also split among the hundreds if not thousands of places that they can watch exactly the game they want to watch being played right now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You are veering towards eSports there though, and I don't think anyone is claiming that would make good telly. But a certain level of competence when watching people play, such as backing visuals for a review, or a hint sections for a hidden area, they would be better peformed by someone who knows why X=B=No and O=A=Yes
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Competence is fine, but I'll take someone shit but personally entertaining over someone competent but not every time, as I think would most people.
  • People can be competent AND entertaining.
  • Translating the skill of a gameplay video to a non player is incredibly difficult.

My Gran can appreciate the skill of Ryan Giggs dancing round Arsenal players and twatting it into the top corner.

That Street Fighter video? Not so much.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    People can be competent AND entertaining.

It's getting the  balance.

You also need a really good commentator.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Thank fuck this isn't a dance forum as the Strictly thread would have claimed about 50 casualties at this rate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

Not many, they'd run out of guests very quickly.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Not many, they'd run out of guests very quickly.

Maybe if they rely on the limited DAVE phonebook.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, they should be holding auditions? I can't see why they wouldn't do that. I'm sure they've got loads of money.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Translating the skill of a gameplay video to a non player is incredibly difficult.

My Gran can appreciate the skill of Ryan Giggs dancing round Arsenal players and twatting it into the top corner.

That Street Fighter video? Not so much.

Depends on the game. Use Rocket League and you're on to a winner.
  • But this is surely aimed at gamers, there's enough of us to sustain a TV show, in the 90s GM had good ratings.

I don't think a non-gamer is going to be won over by any TV show.

If it's aimed at us don't insult us my giving us clueless captains etc.

Are we really still seen as an inferior bunch of geeks?

This show isn't awful but with a few tweaks it could be good.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @Paul, they played Rocket League last week.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Was it awesome?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Ah, they should be holding auditions? I can't see why they wouldn't do that. I'm sure they've got loads of money.

TV have people called researchers. They get paid shit money and one of their jobs is to find people appropriate to be on the shows being created. Sometimes they get runners to do it who get paid somewhere between shit and nothing.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Skim read. Has anyone mentioned Click? Quality. 

• Was it awesome?

Unfortunately no, won by an own goal of all things.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's still pretty awesome. Best game.
  • That's still pretty awesome. Best game.

You'd think but it was some tit driving in a straight line, probably because they didn't know how to turn. Felt like a missed opportunity with a great MP game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But this is surely aimed at gamers, there's enough of us to sustain a TV show, in the 90s GM had good ratings.

I don't think it is aimed at us entirely, I don't think there's a big enough audience to make it worthwhile. As I said, in the 90s the only place to see people playing games was GamesMaster, that time has gone. Even the shows that came after GM floundered trying to appeal to gamers.

No crossover appeal, no show, it's as simple as that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

TV have people called researchers. They get paid shit money and one of their jobs is to find people appropriate to be on the shows being created. Sometimes they get runners to do it who get paid somewhere between shit and nothing.

Again, I don't think there are that many people who can manage both. Certainly not that many who can manage both and appeal beyond a base of gamers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The numbers and feedback from when it was first done at the Edinburgh Festival must have hinted at an audience. If it is annoying a lot of gamers here then who is it aimed at?

Even if it is aimed at casual iPad gamers the level competency needs to be intermediate which doesn't seem to be the case.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The numbers and feedback from when it was first done at the Edinburgh Festival must have hinted at an audience. If it is annoying a lot of gamers here then who is it aimed at?

I don't know, the same sort of people who watched it at Edinburgh? It's not a games festival.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    But this is surely aimed at gamers, there's enough of us to sustain a TV show, in the 90s GM had good ratings.

I don't think it is aimed at us entirely, I don't think there's a big enough audience to make it worthwhile. As I said, in the 90s the only place to see people playing games was GamesMaster, that time has gone. Even the shows that came after GM floundered trying to appeal to gamers.

No crossover appeal, no show, it's as simple as that.

I get your point, I think I remember reading GM got around 4m viewers. Even some of the biggest shows don't get that now, there's so much more choice.

Because of that the goalposts have changed. What's the typical Dave ratings? What does this show need to be successful?

Most people game now so to not aim it at us seems odd to me, I don't feel we need to appeal to those left who don't game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As I say, talking about 'people who game' is misleading. Loads of people game, people who enjoy watching others game is a subset of that.

I wouldn't have watched a minute of this if it was purely aimed at gamers.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I haven't watched a minute of it. What do I win?
  • I haven't watched a minute of it. What do I win?
    25 minutes of your life.

I wont be watching again.
    Piss tier gaming.
    Below average comedy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's an hour, and it makes me laugh.
  • Was it awesome?
    Unfortunately no, won by an own goal of all things.
    It was a perfect example of where competency and practice would have made for better footage. One player had worked out if you race straight for the ball at kick of, triggering and using the boosts, and taking your finger off the trigger shortly before reaching the ball, and you can easily chip it into the goal from kick off. As such, the game was 2-0 in a matter of seconds, with the only worthwhile footage being a three second bit of acceleration. The only reason it wasn't 3-0 straight away is that he fluffed the approach from the wing, nothing to do with the opposition doing anything to stop it. Then, we at least got to see some gameplay. It was clear that at least two of them had no clue about toggling between cameras, and spent large portions driving around with no idea what was going on around them.

There's no reason why any of them couldn't have had more practice to develop competency, and still have entertaining chat. Just because it's beyond Yoss's comprehension doesn't make it impossible.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    There's no reason why any of them couldn't have had more practice to develop competency, and still have entertaining chat.

There's an excellent reason, they couldn't be bothered and it doesn't matter.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!