Go 8 bit , Dara O Briain etc
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There's an excellent reason, they couldn't be bothered and it doesn't matter.
    I bet your supervisors are delighted with your excuses when you fuck up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My work does matter.

Also I don't fuck up.
  • People who think they don't fuck up are the exact type of people who regularly fuck up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    BTW, by 'does matter' I mean 'provides the funds I need to live on'.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    People who think they don't fuck up are the exact type of people who regularly fuck up.
    I don't think it, I know it, so that's alright.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    BTW, by 'does matter' I mean 'provides the funds I need to live on'.
    Whereas the guests on panel shows are doing it out of the good of their heart, and don't mind being associated with shows that fail.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't think they do care about being associated with shows that fail, I'm sure they've all been guests on shows that didn't get past a season, it doesn't seem to have dented their careers.

And I'm pretty sure they were doing their jobs as they had been asked to. They were clearly booked for being entertaining or providing a draw, not for their video game skills. I'm sure some of them would have explicitly said that they aren't very good at games, and the response was clearly "it doesn't matter".
  • Bloody well does matter mate.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    They were clearly booked for being entertaining or providing a draw, not for their video game skills. I'm sure some of them would have explicitly said that they aren't very good at games, and the response was clearly "it doesn't matter".

And yet, so far, they've exclusively had guests who claim to have played regularly at some point in their life, and have a favourite game. I'll bet there are a number of agents saying to their talent, "Just say you're really into games, I'll get you the gig." Rachel Riley mentioned that they had test  runs of the games before the show. All I'm saying is that a bit more of that would mean more decent game footage, and less that looks like a toddler was handed the controller. The [Sensible Soccer/i] challenge was hardly a masterclass, but at least the two of them were competent enough to chase each other and the ball around the pitch, and it was entertaining.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How much more of that exactly? I would expect that the filming takes a minimum of two and a half hours with retakes and swearing being cut out, plus they have to have make-up and the rest of it. they're probably there all day as it is, with a couple of hours being put aside to learn at least two entirely new games. Should they have to have two days there, with a doubling of their fee, just to become vaguely competent at these games with a resulting skill level that would arguably make the games less entertaining?
  • For a show like this that isn't topical, I would reasonably expect the entire run to be done in a block of just a few days. Rig and prep on Monday, then two or even three shows a day for the next few days. Set out on Friday. Nobody does this sort of stuff once a week.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Just get mans who know their way round some sticks innit, don't know why this takes pages of discussion. Competence once again is the take home. Be able to at least demonstrate that you know how to play. Being good at this point is a nice to have.
  • Although I have enjoyed the pages of discussion.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Competence once again is the take home.
    Not by a long shot.
  • It wouldn't work. It's a mainstream comedy panel show. Therefore you book all the usual suspects as panelists because that's what gets the mainstream viewer watching. It wouldn't be very funny (or mainstream) if you booked lots of leet gamers no-one had heard of. 
    It's not really targeted at gamers, hence the way they explain everything game related at great length for an audience that otherwise would be largely clueless about what they were talking about.
    I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but that's what it is.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Should they have to have two days there, with a doubling of their fee, just to become vaguely competent at these games with a resulting skill level that would arguably make the games less entertaining?

On other shows (particularly topical, current affairs types) it's apparent that there's an expectation on panellists to do their own prep, keeping more abreast of the news than they currently are. Given the fees, it's not unreasonable to expect them to put a couple of days prep in, rather than thinking that they're entitled to it just for showing up on time.
  • As long as we can all agree the rotating set is retarded.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Should they have to have two days there, with a doubling of their fee, just to become vaguely competent at these games with a resulting skill level that would arguably make the games less entertaining?
    On other shows (particularly topical, current affairs types) it's apparent that there's an expectation on panellists to do their own prep, keeping more abreast of the news than they currently are. Given the fees, it's not unreasonable to expect them to put a couple of days prep in, rather than thinking that they're entitled to it just for showing up on time.
    There is? When did that happen?
  • As long as we can all agree the rotating set is retarded.
    Aye, that's terrible.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Christ, it's not like people on those shows get criticised if they don't know what's been happening in the news anyway, that part doesn't matter as long as they're entertaining.
  • I don't mind the rotating set, just the bollocks mimes they do.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's tough to know what else to do with the need for the audience to be able to see the screen for the gaming and people's faces for the talking.
  • Give them monitors directly in front of them, and a big screen for the audience.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Christ, it's not like people on those shows get criticised if they don't know what's been happening in the news anyway, that part doesn't matter as long as they're entertaining.

No but if they couldn't speak about the news or even form the words required to speak about the news they should be.

• Back later, off to watch Evo and Dota on ESPN2 innit.

Where's my money match Yoss stop ducking me blud, straight pum pum citay.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

No but if they couldn't speak about the news or even form the words required to speak about the news they should be.

Nobody would give a shit if they were funny. Ross Noble barely talks about the news at on HIGNFY, he's great.
  • HIGNFY balances it well though Merton isn't especially political but Gossip is very much so.
    For every Noble there will be an ex MP.

To compare the gaming ability of 8 bit guests to HIGNFY guests it would have to be someone like Joey Essex.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But it's a light entertainment show first and foremost. People are booked, just like on so many other shows, for their ability to be entertaining, not their skills at videogames/knowing the news/whatever the fuck else the entertainment is notionally built around. The entertainment comes first, watching people play videogames is not entertaining to the vast majority of people. It's simple.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!