Racist
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As much as I was being combative last night (I blame all the jazz), my posts were genuinely meant as a wake-up call. JR, take a step back here, have another think on these issues, seek out some counter-arguments, question your sources. You’re walking a dangerous path here, but it’s not too late to change direction.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yoss, wake up, blame the booze.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That may also have been a factor.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good man
  • Jrpc posting those articles here says more about him than he realises. I don't mind people with different views as long as they're engaging in an intelligent debate. Jrpc does not engage, he evangelices posting his alt right videos and articles and then runs away when we discuss and counter them. He returns, the cycle repeats indefinitely and quite frankly it's getting boring. Him claiming to be leftist is just the latest in his confused arguing.

Either he is a lost soul who truly believes to be arguing from the left agreeing with key alt-right issues (lol) or he's an idiot trying to win souls for his new found alt-right cause (double lol). He's unconvincing either way. Must try harder.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I will quibble over the use of alt right for a blanket phrase for the nature of the links in question. Quillette has issues galore, but it's not alt right.

US mainstream classic liberal/capitalist something or other. Conservative in some senses.

I dunno. We need to differentiate between alt right full gg Milo assholes and left = votes democrat/new labour.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'd prefer he stopped trying altogether tbh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Many alt-righters describe themselves as ‘classical liberals’ though. The phrase is in Paul Joseph Watson’s Twitter bio. I don’t think that the two groups are that easily separated.
  • Okay, in the past I admittedly may have used the blanket term alt right to bait Jrpc in reacting and clarifying his stance. He never did took the bait tho'. He never seemed particularly offended by the label either.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Many alt-righters describe themselves as ‘classical liberals’ though. The phrase is in Paul Joseph Watson’s Twitter bio. I don’t think that the two groups are that easily separated.

And Hoff sommers calls herself a feminist.

(tangent alert.)

I can agree there's blurring. And self identification is a murky game, I dunno, just seems lazy sometimes. Pinker and some frothing 20 year old gamergater need to be distinguished, IMO.

Meanwhile, to make clear why I mentioned West.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/17/ta-nehisi-coates-neoliberal-black-struggle-cornel-west?CMP=share_btn_fb
  • https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/22/-ta-nehisi-coates-cornel-west-black-academic-activists-debate-equality

I like this response:
    Carol Anderson: The real radical is the man who hits power in high places

It was the 1920s. A morally and sexually compromised president had come to power promising a regime fundamentally different to his predecessor’s. The new administration was packed with conmen, hucksters, and unqualified shills raiding the public treasury and selling public lands to Big Oil. There were also those in the cabinet with an agenda that would place inordinate, unbridled power in the hands of corporations while millions of poor Americans took the brunt of a Great Depression that hit before anyone knew what to call it.

Greed fever ran like an epidemic in the financial sector giving the illusion of prosperity and wealth when, just underneath, the economy had major fissures and faultlines that threatened to topple the American behemoth. Meanwhile, black people were being terrorised in Tulsa, the Ku Klux Klan was gaining political power in key states in the north, voting rights were under attack, and a new racist immigration law effectively shut the door on anyone not Anglo-Saxon.

The international scene was just as vexing. The rise of fascist regimes in Europe and Japan ran headlong into an American retreat from the League of Nations, and by the 1930s there was a growing internal fifth column, marketing itself as “America First”, that undermined any effective response to regimes that threatened US national security.

In the midst of the maelstrom, an intellectual brawl broke out among African Americans. Unbelievably, the real issue was not the political and economic horror that confronted the nation and black people, who were dealing with massive disparities in access to constitutional rights and wealth. Instead, one African American intellectual openly and mercilessly challenged another over what was essentially ephemera. Du Bois looked on at the row within Fisk University, Tennessee, and shook his head. This peacock display was merely the effervescence of faux bravery. “The real radical,” he noted, “is the man, who hits power in high places, white power, power backed by unlimited wealth; hits it and hits it openly and between the eyes.”

It’s 2017. A morally and sexually compromised man has assumed the presidency of the United States. His regime is attacking black and brown people with reckless abandon while, under the guise of “America first”, shielding Nazis and other white supremacists, and providing no defence against a government that threatens US national security. He and his minions have also unleashed wanton corporate greed, reduced public lands, attacked voting rights, and imposed or threatened immigration restrictions to warm the cockles of any eugenicist.

In the midst of this maelstrom …

History repeating.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently at work we are contributing to the death of the white race by illustrating articles on dating with mixed-race couples.

I decided against replying to that email.
  • Can you speed it up a bit Yoss?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Apparently at work we are contributing to the death of the white race by illustrating articles on dating with mixed-race couples.

I decided against replying to that email.

Why would somebody with those views ever be anywhere near the The Guardian? I mean do they go actively searching for fair minded shit to get all uppity about? How you didn’t reply to them I’ll have no idea?

Dear Sir,

We thank you for your correspondence and would like to extend our acknowledment that you are indeed a racist fuckwit.

All our love
    The Guardian

• Yossarian wrote:

Keep up the good work.
  • Why would somebody with those views ever be anywhere near the The Guardian? I mean do they go actively searching for fair minded shit to get all uppity about?
    Pretty much. They can't get enough of it. Look at any of the comments sections.
  • I did start writing a point by point rebuttal to the second of JRPC's linked articles then realised that I didn't have the time, and it seemed like there was probably little point.  

Still, JRPC, if you're interested, here are some questions to consider.  Why has he used the word "just" in the opening sentence?  What does his statement about "the Left" being ignorant and "the Right" being impotent tell you about his biases and his blind spots?  The whole essay is essentially framed as a rebuttal, but what arguments is he actually refuting, and were they made by others, or simply by the author himself?  Is the Pedestrian Parable really applicable here - again what assumptions are being made when applying it, and are they fair? etc etc.

(edit - Just read that back and realised how patronising it sounds.  Sorry.)
  • Re "just" do you mean the "just 65%" sentence? Because that stuck out to me.

That's a big % to be using just for.
  • To be fair I think it's meant as 'just' in comparison to the other figure (ten times as high). I put it down to a poor choice of words/sentence structure rather than anything else.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Re "just" do you mean the "just 65%" sentence? Because that stuck out to me. That's a big % to be using just for.

The very same.  I agree with Jon in that I don't think it was a conscious decision, but I also think that it's one hell of a statistic to put the word "just" in front of - and failing to recognise that tells us something of his worldview, and the one he wants his readers to adopt, whether conscious or not.  There are, after all, many ways to construct that sentence that would highlight the difference between the figures, but he opted for a formulation that is dismissive from the outset - and in his opening remarks to boot.
  • I tried reading that 2nd article.
    Urgh, conservatives and how they keep trying to simplify everything and everyone into race. My bi and triracial relatives would hopelessly confuse them.

Either that or they would just label them latinos and be done with it.
  • What conservatives truly fear (and makes their irrational focus on identity politics look like childsplay)

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/30/17505406/trump-obama-race-politics-immigration

https://youtu.be/lI4l6UZ2fqg
  • Taking a pause to think about how best to proceed. 

giphy.gif
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • *waits for chump to cut and paste that non response from three threads ago.*

;)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    Taking a pause to think about how best to proceed. 

giphy.gif

Can't wait.
  • CL2t6qR.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Racist.
  • Schwartzkopf-plorntation
  • Knock me over with a feather. That Coleman Hughes chap is on a Sam Harris pod.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Knock me over with a feather. That Coleman Hughes chap is on a Sam Harris pod.

tenor.gif?itemid=5928662
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!