Racist
  • Sorry, can't take Sam Harris serious anymore. Not after him backing Murray's debunked conservative propaganda bs.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • OK so I’ve been super busy this week with work, but also had to think about how to respond to all that stuff other day. Looking back, obviously by posting links to those articles I knew I was poking the monster a bit so I’ve definitely got my share of the blame here. But things turned nastier than I imagined.

But after a couple of days mulling the options, I figure fuck it. This place is mine as much as anybodys. I’m just going to carry on for a bit. I am going to ignore the more hateful stuff though, as I did last time. 

Having said that, this is a last attempt to step outside my echo-chamber and engage a with a clique of clearly other-minded people about this admittedly controversial topic. If this goes south again like last time then I’ll leave you to your open and inclusive conversation and return to my alt right rabbit-hole or whatever. 

I tried to avoid a MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT here, which i clearly haven’t. But given what’s been said i’m sort of forced to write carefully, so it also comes out a bit long-winded and formal, but there we go.

So I’m going to say something about IP and how i think it actually fuels real actual racism and then I’ll reply to Tin’s stuff.  

OK…

From where I’m standing, all of this has really been about Identity Politics. The IQ stuff, the inequality stuff and now this. It's all subsumed by IP.

Here’s why I think IP is so toxic to issues around race.

I’m assuming that there’d be a broad agreement here that the end-game we should all be working towards is a truly colorblind society where people are treated as individuals and free to explore any possibility without any trace of racial prejudice. That’s certainly my position.  

The way I see it, and apparently how this guy Hughes sees it, is that to engage in black IP (like Coates does) is to place more emphasis on race as an important variable, not less.

This is a problem for a number of reasons, but one of the big ones is that it’s polarising.

So Hughes uses the example of Jared Taylor. This guy is a full-blown American white supremacist and has no problems being known as such. He has built a career for himself by publicly noticing that the black community is being encouraged to organise around the idea of race and by doing so receiving certain advantages. The problem here is that if you grant him what I’m claiming to be a false premise, that racial identity actually does matter, then the rest of his argument makes enough sense to convince a whole lot of angry white voters.  This is why racial IP is such a dangerous game to play - it can lead to an equal and opposite reaction on the other side.

This is from Hughes from a separate article (turns out there’s 4) which I think makes a hell of a lot of sense. I’ll leave IP at that.

Given America’s brutal history of white racism, it is understandable that the pendulum of racial double-standards has swung in the opposite direction—indeed, it is a testament to our laudable, if naïve, desire to fix history—but the status quo cannot be maintained indefinitely. Cracks in the reparations mindset are beginning to show themselves. Whites are noticing that black leaders still use historical grievances to justify special dispensations for blacks who were born decades after the end of Jim Crow—and many whites understandably resent this. Asian students are noticing that applying to elite colleges is an uphill battle for them, and are understandably fighting for basic fairness in admissions standards. The majority of blacks themselves are noticing that bias is not the main issue they face anymore, even as blacks who dare express this view are called race traitors.

As these cracks widen, the far-Left responds by doubling down on the radical strain of black identity politics that caused these problems to begin with, and the far-Right responds with its own toxic strain of white identity politics. Stale grievances are dredged up from history and used to justify double-standards that create fresh grievances in turn. And beneath all of this lies the tacit claim that blacks are uniquely constrained by history in a way that Jewish-Americans, East Asian-Americans, Indian-Americans, and countless other historically marginalized ethnic groups are not. In the midst of this breakdown in civil discourse, we must ask ourselves—academics, journalists, activists, politicians, and concerned citizens alike—if we are on a path towards a thriving multi-ethnic democracy or a balkanized hotbed of racial and political tribalism.

Moving on...

tin_robot wrote:
    I did start writing a point by point rebuttal to the second of JRPC's linked articles then realised that I didn't have the time, and it seemed like there was probably little point.   Still, JRPC, if you're interested, here are some questions to consider. Why has he used the word "just" in the opening sentence? What does his statement about "the Left" being ignorant and "the Right" being impotent tell you about his biases and his blind spots?  The whole essay is essentially framed as a rebuttal, but what arguments is he actually refuting, and were they made by others, or simply by the author himself? Is the Pedestrian Parable really applicable here - again what assumptions are being made when applying it, and are they fair? etc etc. (edit - Just read that back and realised how patronising it sounds.  Sorry.)

Don’t worry about sounding patronising Tin. It can be hard to avoid in these kinds of things (please see below).

So I'll just say a couple things about your post in general then get to the specific points.  

What jumps out is that your very first move is to try and discredit the author by assigning him to a rival political tribe. The implication is that this is somehow hostile to the veracity of his argument. I don’t think you’d deny that you’re making this move.

This is identity politics again and it’s problematic for a few reasons, not least because this guy actually shares a common identity with you - he’s a self-described liberal, voted Clinton and as it turns out, until only recently was a card-carrying hard left Progressive type.

The other problem is that this kind of parsing of specific words or sentences is can very quickly lead to a sort of stalemate if the text can be interpreted in different ways. This doesn’t actually have to be an impasse though. Clever philosopher-types would point out that when there are multiple interpretations available, the pragmatic move is to assume the best (ie most generous) version of an opponent's argument.

So there’s a bunch of different meaty things in these texts that we could talk about but since you raised this pedestrian parable bit let's do that. Not sure what your issues are with it specifically so I'll just waffle a bit and you can tell me what you think.

OK so what are the assumptions? Certainly one is that that there are cultural differences in the US black community which account for some part for the wealth inequality gap (ie it isn’t entirely due to modern white state racism). It seems intuitively crazy to me that anyone could think that cultural differences don’t play at least a role here, and there are plenty of good examples in the piece if you need some persuasion. Another assumption is that a popular belief exists that these sorts of cultural differences can be traced back to historical wrongs committed against the black community. Following on from that, there is a belief that because the state is ultimately responsible for these cultural traits, that it must fall to the state to address the inequality gap.

I think that’s enough to get the analogy working. There may be more going on in there but I’m tired.

OK so Hughes uses this ‘pedestrian parable’ to try and illustrate the point that even if the state is ultimately responsible, that doesn’t mean that it must fall to the state to fix it. It’s not a point about where the responsibility lies, its a point about how to practically improve circumstances.

I actually think it's a pretty good analogy as it goes. You can play with the dials and it still holds. So you can actually grant the most extreme version of this -  you can say that every single cultural trait (real or imagined) in the black community that in some way leads to disadvantage, can be traced back to historical white racism or slavery.  The point of the parable is to illustrate how identifying the ultimate causes of these cultural differences says nothing about how to remedy them and that its entirely possible that in such circumstances the state could have no role to play.

The pedestrian’s doctor could be accused of “victim blaming” by telling him that he’s the only one who can help himself through hundreds of hours of painful physio, but regardless of who was ultimately responsible, the fact remains that he’s been left in a situation where he’s the only one who can do anything about it.

OK so feel free to respond to any of that, but a question for you Tin. You said you were going to do a point-by-point. Rather than that, what in that article do you find the most objectionable?

Right, let's see how this goes then. 

giphy.gif
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Define culture plz.

Or better yet, no more posts.
  • Kudos for diving deep there. Seriously.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Brooks,cmon man.
  • I was gonna say, I'm just gonna go read some Cornell West, but, ironically, I'm trying to Wade through Thomas sowell. May end up in the just given up on thread.....
  • Brooks wrote:
    Define culture plz. Or better yet, no more posts.

Google Dictionary tells me it's "the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society".

And that's exactly how I'm using it.
  • Nice and concrete application and utility here then eh.

For your next trick, define black culture.
  • JRPC wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    I did start writing a point by point rebuttal to the second of JRPC's linked articles then realised that I didn't have the time, and it seemed like there was probably little point.  

Still, JRPC, if you're interested, here are some questions to consider. Why has he used the word "just" in the opening sentence? What does his statement about "the Left" being ignorant and "the Right" being impotent tell you about his biases and his blind spots?  The whole essay is essentially framed as a rebuttal, but what arguments is he actually refuting, and were they made by others, or simply by the author himself? Is the Pedestrian Parable really applicable here - again what assumptions are being made when applying it, and are they fair? etc etc. 

(edit - Just read that back and realised how patronising it sounds.  Sorry.)

What jumps out is that your very first move is to try and discredit the author by assigning him to a rival political tribe.

Um, what? Where does he do that?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Seems like a lot of words to say that you subscribe to the right wing personal responsibility ideology and that you don’t like identity politics.
  • JRPC:
    Meritocracy is awesum, blablabla etc.
    Everyone should be judged so. Begone evil IP politics!

In a perfect world where discrimination doesn't exist I would agree with you.
    Sadly, human nature doesn't work like that so we have to manually 'adjust' the system.
    In the real world people do not only get judged on merit, we also get judged on appearance, race, age, ses, gender and sexuality. All the time and in continues fashion.
    Don't get me wrong, I hate IP politics. I just see it as a necessary evil to help adjust the social balance.

And there needs to be balance. Acting as if race and discrimination don't exist and aren't human traits is just retarded and only benefits one group (society's 'default' group). You'll only get pent up frustration by denying people (and that includes white people!) their identity. That pent up frustration is what drove the Brexit vote, the Trump election and he rise of Geert Wilders in the netherlands.
  • Sup gonz.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Seems like a lot of words to say that you subscribe to the right wing personal responsibility ideology and that you don’t like identity politics.

No Yoss you're simply wrong about this.

In fact I actually have unusually extreme views in the opposite direction. 

My views on Free Will mean that I don't think any of us can take deep responsibility for anything we do. Not our failures nor our greatest successes. The difference between me and my life and the ICE addict who's sleeping under an archway tonight I see as nothing but sheer luck. 

Perhaps my views just don't fit neatly into your simplistic ideas of a political dichotomy?
  • JRPC wrote:
    No Yoss you're simply wrong about this. In fact I actually have unusually extreme views in the opposite direction.
    JRPC wrote:
    ... regardless of who was ultimately responsible, the fact remains that he’s been left in a situation where he’s the only one who can do anything about it.

JRPC wrote:
    ... Perhaps my views just don't fit neatly into your simplistic ideas of a political dichotomy?
    Orrrr.... perhaps you're contradicting yourself all over the place and don't actually know what you think, because you haven't really thought this through?
  • JRPC wrote:
    No Yoss you're simply wrong about this. In fact I actually have unusually extreme views in the opposite direction.  My views on Free Will mean that I don't think any of us can take deep responsibility for anything we do. Not our failures nor our greatest successes. The difference between me and my life and the ICE addict who's sleeping under an archway tonight I see as nothing but sheer luck.  Perhaps my views just don't fit neatly into your simplistic ideas of a political dichotomy?

So you're all for meritocracy but you also believe you're not in control of life?
    What gives?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Okay, perhaps I misread something, but that was the impression I got.

So, if the responsibility for fixing these things neither falls on the individual nor the state, where does it fall?
  • Big business of course
    Facebook, Apple and McDonald's will figure it out.
  • JRPC wrote:
    OK so I’ve been super busy this week with work, but also had to think about how to respond to all that stuff other day. Looking back, obviously by posting links to those articles I knew I was poking the monster a bit so I’ve definitely got my share of the blame here. But things turned nastier than I imagined. But after a couple of days mulling the options, I figure fuck it. This place is mine as much as anybodys. I’m just going to carry on for a bit. I am going to ignore the more hateful stuff though, as I did last time.  Having said that, this is a last attempt to step outside my echo-chamber and engage a with a clique of clearly other-minded people about this admittedly controversial topic. If this goes south again like last time then I’ll leave you to your open and inclusive conversation and return to my alt right rabbit-hole or whatever.

It's okay, you can stay.
    I enjoy grilling you on my bbq.
  • I feel like JRPC has won this thread like 80 times now or something. It's just that nobody but him seems to notice.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, another question:

You decry identity politics but talk about cultural differences in US black communities. Is this not a contradiction?
  • Before that can I get an answer to my question?
  • I'm off to bed. Knackered. 

Yoss I'll get to them tomorrow.

Before that can I get an answer to my question?

Ah I'll wait to see what Tin says if he gets a chance. 

I'm sure he wouldn't frame it the way did, but like I said I don't think he'd deny that's what he's really doing there.
  • Why do we need to wait for Tin? I'm asking you where he says the thing you said he says.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Yoss I'll get to them tomorrow.
    Suuuuuuuuure you will.
  • JRPC wrote:
    (Lots of stuff I've edited oout because this is already going to be a massive wall of text... 
    I did start writing a point by point rebuttal to the second of JRPC's linked articles then realised that I didn't have the time, and it seemed like there was probably little point.   Still, JRPC, if you're interested, here are some questions to consider. Why has he used the word "just" in the opening sentence? What does his statement about "the Left" being ignorant and "the Right" being impotent tell you about his biases and his blind spots?  The whole essay is essentially framed as a rebuttal, but what arguments is he actually refuting, and were they made by others, or simply by the author himself? Is the Pedestrian Parable really applicable here - again what assumptions are being made when applying it, and are they fair? etc etc. (edit - Just read that back and realised how patronising it sounds.  Sorry.)
    Don’t worry about sounding patronising Tin. It can be hard to avoid in these kinds of things (please see below). So I'll just say a couple things about your post in general to this then get to the specific points.  

Oh no, this means I'm going to have to remember whatever half baked nonsense was in my head when I wrote this.  Still, let's go...  (Also this is the third time I've tried writing this, as work gets in the way and then it's magically gone when I come back.)
    JRPC wrote:
     What jumps out is that your very first move is to try and discredit the author by assigning him to a rival political tribe. The implication is that this is somehow hostile to the veracity of his argument. I don’t think you’d deny that you’re making this move.

Never underestimate my capacity for denial.  I don't think I at any point assign him to a tribe, "rival" or otherwise.  

My "opening move" was to flag what I felt was the slightly odd use of the word "just" to describe a 65% difference in income between white households and their "black counterparts".  I thought it was a revealing piece of framing, not politically, but simply because I thought it extraordinary to find a  65% pay difference so insignificant as to prefix it with "just".  (Though that may, I suppose, be more of a statement on me, than the author.  Equally, as Jon pointed out, it could simply be sloppy writing.)

I then went on to ask you to consider the way in which he chose to describe "the left" and "the right".  For instance, I thought his description of "the right" as impotent to be bizarre.  (The exact context to which he was referring was the assertion that "the right" was "too far from the media channels through which blacks communicate" - a statement that is both as bizarre as it is bold, but also utterly rife with the very identity politics which you dislike.  It is highly problematic at the very least.)

I said that the essay was, in my opinion, largely framed as a rebuttal and asked you to consider what exactly he was refuting, and whether those were really arguments others had made.  (A none too subtle suggestion that much of his argument felt to me like a strawman.)  He chiefly posits that "progressives" believe that the wealth gap is attributable entirely to slavery and New Deal policies.  I'm not widely read when it comes to those he is critiquing, but what exposure I have had to their arguments has led me to believe that their position is considerably more complicated and nuanced.  This makes it all the more ironic therefore when he suggests that about a third of the wealth gap might indeed be due to historical racism.  "It's part of the problem, just not the whole problem", is not a particularly strong refutation, particularly when no-one had really been arguing it was the whole problem anyway.

Which brings us to the pedestrian parable.  A quick recap.  The Pedestrian Parable goes like this:  A pedestrian (P) gets hit by a driver (D) and sustains serious injuries.  The incident itself in entirely the fault of D.  D pays all the medical fees for P, who is patched up in hospital.  However P refuses to engage in physiotherapy, holding D entirely responsible for his physical condition.  P doesn't recover, despite D doing everything he can to facilitate it, because P won't take the necessary steps required to ensure his recovery.

The parable is invoked here (and elsewhere) to suggest that black americans are now essentially P.  They could get out of their predicament if only they would stop blaming D and help themselves...

There are a bunch of assumptions in this that renders the analogy unhelpful, if not actively offensive.  The primary one is the idea that the D (in this case, "white america") has done all it can to help P ("black america").  This seems to me to be pretty much a nonsense.  To get even close to being able to make that argument you would need to begin with the sort of financial reparations that Coates et al have called for.  Though even then, I think you're a way short.  P is probably not engaging with his physio, partly because physio sucks, but also because of the psychological impact of the accident.  The psychological effect of a road traffic accident is nothing next to generations of oppression, so again, I think this particular driver has quite a way to go before they can be said to have "done everything".  

I think there's a wider point to be made about our metaphorical pedestrian too.  I've seen plenty of people who act in exactly the manner described in the parable.  People to whom terrible things happened because someone else fucked them over.  It's true that some are held back in their recovery because they're so busy blaming the person who caused their suffering, that they never take ownership of the bit they can control.  I understand that argument.  But...  For the most part I find people are really good at letting go of that resentment once, and only once, they feel that the person that caused their injury has atoned.  The phrase "if they had only apologised" is used a lot.  the argument the Coates et al have employed in what little I have read of their work tends to be about precisely that.  Achieving a sense of reparation, not really financially, but socially, and psychologically, so that everyone (white americans included) can move on.  Moving on involves acknowledging and accepting the past, not making convoluted arguments about why we should just forget about it and pull ourselves together.

So to make the pedestrian parable work here, you need the driver to have run him down, but then refuse to make any initial attempts to help, and refuse to pay for any physiotherapy or pain relief, just grudgingly stumping up enough for essential life saving treatments.  D should insist he's done nothing wrong, and should then regularly tell P it's time he stopped whining because he could probably get better if he really tried.  Then the "parable" just about fits.  Fuck D.

And that's enough milking of what was already a bloody terrible analogy. 
    JRPC wrote:
    Rather than that, what in that article do you find the most objectionable?

You probably get the gist.  But if I absolutely had to pick one thing, it's that I felt the whole piece was built on air.  There was no real meat, just a whole bunch of assertions with little evidence, refuted with even less.  We all debate like that to some degree, (certainly I have done here), and that's fine when you're just shooting the shit, but less so in a pseudo-intellectual article about racial politics.

Finally, apologies, I almost certainly won't respond to any reply (certainly not in this level of detail).  That's not meant as blanking you, simply a reflection of my singular lack of time.  (This has been assembled piece meal as is.)  It's bloody rude, but it's also inevitable I'm afraid.
  • Who's alt is hmmmm again?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!