Racist
  • I still have no idea what it was supposed to be.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Why do you have no idea, it's been explained. That'd be like me still claiming that Meghan Larkle is white (and let's be honest she is). If he was trying to be racist the image would surely have had two monkeys in it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm not claiming he was being racist. I'm claiming I have no idea what the joke is. 'He has a thing for pictures of monkeys" doesn't explain what the joke here was.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As far as I know he does a regular feature on his show / media presence akin to Karl Pilkington's monkey news. Just a bit of nonsense bringing clothed monkeys into different contexts within a humorous framework (?)

Possibly a spin in the Goldblum thing that happens here from time to time.

I suspect his fixation on clothed monkeys is grounded in the PG tips ads.

Not naïve just a bit stupid knowing how the Twitter crowd can become "enraged". The BBC sacking is over the top but management probably used the opportunity.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Monkeys doing human stuff is funny. That’s the joke I think.

I can’t remember for certain who it was but I nearly changed my avatar once to, I think, Stringer Bell. I realised at some point that there was room there for some horrific misinterpretation so I didn’t do it. End of pointless anecdote.
  • The BBC sacking is over the top.

Hopefully they can ask Nigel Farage about it on his 33rd appearance on Question Time tonight.
  • Baker has some issues with class too (not lack of - think Corbett/Barker/Cleese). It seems to be a dig, not a racist gag.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Censoring yourself because the twitterati will take offense is just as ridiculous a concept as the beeb having climate change deniers or antivaxers on telly for 'balance'
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Baker has some issues with class too (not lack of - think Corbett/Barker/Cleese). It seems to be a dig, not a racist gag.

This.
    I'm not anti-royal. Happy for them to exist but the endless fawning over them is tedious.
    cockbeard wrote:
    Censoring yourself because the twitterati will take offense is just as ridiculous a concept as the beeb having climate change deniers or antivaxers on telly for 'balance'
    And This. What David Icke in his more lucid periods calls "the mob" - playing to that gallery is a particular bit of madness that the public seems to tolerate.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We all censor ourselves all of the time because others may take offence. If we didn’t, we’d all be Larry David in Curb.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And if you make a living playing a certain game then you have to go along with the rules.

However the race card does seem to be on a hair trigger.
  • The BBC sacking is ridiculous, but I don't feel like the stuff i've seen him say about him taking it down are self censorship. More like he realised what it looked  like and thought "ah, maybe that does look bad and wasn't what I was going for?"
  • How do you do visual gags on a radio show?
    Once again. Sincere apologies for the stupid unthinking gag pic earlier. Was supposed to be joke about Royals vs circus animals in posh clothes but interpreted as about monkeys & race, so rightly deleted.

"Royal watching not my forte. Also, guessing it was my turn in the barrel."

Royals are circus animals then? I don't really see it. Maybe its just not funny.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A man from the 80s not knowing what monkey connotes? Hmm .. I show my S1 pupils the Show Racism The Red Card documentary on which Les Ferdinand described monkey chants pl and bananas on the pitch in detail.
    As does Shaun Wright Phillips circa 2006. I don't buy the ignorance.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fwiw I don't think he meant it as racist but he's in media and self aware enough to be smart enough to not have done it
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think he was claiming ignorance to knowing who in the royal family had had a baby, never mind that she's black.

When it was pointed out to him he did in fact see the connotation, how awful it looked if taken the wrong way, and removed it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ignorance to knowing who Prince Harry's Wife is? As a radio DJ? I can't quite truck with it. As I said, I don't think it was meant in any way intentionally, but as someone with that influence, in the media, you do your homework.
  • We can all make mistakes, none of us are perfect.
    He handled it in a perfectly reasonable manner.

I am 100% sure he is aware of the "monkey" racism thing, just didnt link the two before posting. Easily done. 
    If every time someone saw a monkey they thought of black people, that would be more alarming.

It is a storm in a teacup that the BBC have overreacted to, I suspect in an opportunist way.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We quite often, due to nice connections, have people from radio / media / ads come into our school, and the biggest thing they say to our kids is, your social media footprint is your identity.
  • "Live by the Monkey pic, die by the Monkey pic" is the family moto of the Bakers of Dagenham.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    We can all make mistakes, none of us are perfect.
    He handled it in a perfectly reasonable manner.

I am 100% sure he is aware of the "monkey" racism thing, just didnt link the two before posting. Easily done. 
    If every time someone saw a monkey they thought of black people, that would be more alarming.

It is a storm in a teacup that the BBC have overreacted to, I suspect in an opportunist way.

I'm also not getting rid of the opportunist BBC element. I'm just saying that as someone with that level of influence he should have thought things through.

I disagree with your bit about monkey / black. You are posting openly on the internet. I wonder how people would react were it a Twitch streamer / YouTube personality. Unfortunately that's part of the package. There's an interesting thing that a Forth One DJ said to our Higher Media pupils last year in that there are going to be a number of jobs going in radio over the next few years because the old guard just don't know how to handle their social media presence.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    "Live by the Monkey pic, die by the Monkey pic" is the family moto of the Bakers of Dagenham.

I've heard of them
  • People reacted, he apologised and removed the picture.
    To me that is perfectly reasonable given his explanation and lack of any history of racism.

If people want their pound of flesh that is on them but I dont think stringing up Baker for this does anything to help race relations.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Ignorance to knowing who Prince Harry's Wife is? As a radio DJ? I can't quite truck with it. As I said, I don't think it was meant in any way intentionally, but as someone with that influence, in the media, you do your homework.

I know, I find it a big ask to believe that too, just saying that's what he's came out with afterwards, not that he's unaware of any racist monkey connotations.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    We quite often, due to nice connections, have people from radio / media / ads come into our school, and the biggest thing they say to our kids is, your social media footprint is your identity.
    This sounds more toxic than anything Danny Baker came out with.

• Tuppenceworth: it’s not only entirely possible, but entirely human to get so wrapped up in a certain thing that you forget the tangential link it has to a bad thing.

His apology tweet makes it quite clear that while he is well aware of Meghan Markle’s ethnicity, and thus the baby’s ethnicity, he wasn’t thinking about them at the time. While he would also be well aware of monkey chants and bananas thrown at football matches, for example, he has probably also never, ever made the link between that type of racism and funny pictures of chimpanzees dressed in human clothes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    This sounds more toxic than anything Danny Baker came out with.

To go with Sparky's post, again, I don't think anything malicious was meant, but this is our modern world. Everything is ripe for choice. If you look at the training current bbc trainees get, a lot of it is "delete your old self". It's a lot of self protection.

I'm an educator. I am the most likely person to move into politics. Imagine the shit everyone would have on me were I wanting to do so.
  • He didn’t take care when posting something on the world’s most racist and simultaneously the world’s most oversensitive website. A toxic mix that cost him his job. He’ll be picked up by one of the other stations, won’t go near twitter again and that will be that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    He didn’t take care when posting something on the world’s most racist and simultaneously the world’s most oversensitive website. A toxic mix that cost him his job. He’ll be picked up by one of the other stations, won’t go near twitter again and that will be that.

Monkey has actually nailed it.
  • The BBC are institutionally racist.
    I know several non-white people who work in TV who wont go back there because of it.

One of their high profile radio presenters used to say racist shit to my best mate on a daily basis when they worked together.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!