Racist
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    After reading these posts I've revised my opinion of the sacking. It's probably correct. It reflects the world we live in - there is a very nasty percentage of the population that appears to be emboldened by world events at the minute and unless a zero tolerance stance is adopted then it paves the way for insidious ogres to further infiltrate positions of influence. This applies whether Baker is racist or not. He was an idiot to do it. And a tasteless one at that.

That arsehole Clarkson poisoned the BBC well - he should have been let go long before the punching incident.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Aah, in my response I want thinking of self censorship as a bad thing at that moment, was saying that us he noticed it could be perceived as bad and chose to remove it. The same compassion you mention. Pandering to the masses is a slippery slope, I was a very precocious child and often took things too literally (likely on the spectrum, my brother shifts the curve) and when told the old if you can't say something nice thing I spent about two years hardly saying anything as I figured someone might not think it nice. That was a child in 86, it's massively amplified in today's world
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I think it was overzealous and hypocritical of the BBC especially as they’re incredibly bad at recognising how poor their coverage of fringe elements has been, actively promoting people and giving favourable sensationalist coverage to alt-right groups and mouth(arse)pieces.

The slow whataboutist slide into “but the left are equally fascist” always ignores the fact that the left aren’t literally calling for the dehumanisation of enter races and classes of people. It’s such a false dichotomy I am surprised people fall for it so frequently, but I guess the overton window really has dragged the centre into the absolute pit.
  • Mr Baker has issued a much longer apology now.

He’s guilty of being a twat.

I think that’s the gist of it.
  • He was lovely when I sold him a snooker game in Elecronics Boutique.  Social media has ruined everyone.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The issue, for me, is that one has to strike a balance.

There are too many people who seem to think that being offended is some sort of trump card. It isn't. At least it isn't all the time.

In this case it was at best a clumsy, silly joke. At worst a quite nasty jibe - be it racist or anti-royal.   Royals are human beings too.

I still stand by my revised position. The sacking was right. Right because it sends out a message to anyone who thinks they can get away with making offensive statements by being sly and tangential. 

I don't believe BCC always get it right with their output - I really dislike how people like Nick Griffin were treated on Question Time for example. One can expose people like that for what they are without being rude.
  • I dunno man, when you’ve got a world that has huge, huge systemic issues are people who get offended at the frequent clunkers that people in positions of coddled privilege drop really going out of their way, or are they frequently on the receiving end of the shitty end of the stick and have their limits which will eventually broken? You can take any situation out of context and label the “oh well it’s just people getting offended for no reason!” easily, with zero context of the endless barrage of shit they may have dealt with for, I dunno, their entire lives? We’re living in an age where people can just openly preach eugenics and white supremacy without recourse, having a little compassion for people who eventually decide they’re sick of it seems like the absolute least we can do. The idea of striking a balance is ridiculous when the real word balance is so fucking off already. People getting a bit offended isn’t anywhere near as bad as the media frequently failing massive swathes of the population hourly.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Griffin going on QT immediately preceded the BNP losing huge amounts of ground as a political force before disappearing completely, so I have zero complaints about it.
  • Fucking hell Griffin was ages ago and we’ve had trump, Farage and all the other dickheads basically playing the same game.

Griffin was shit on exposure. All it did was help hone the formula for the next even cleaner shirted bastard. He was a honing which smoothed out the national front bullshite by putting a shirt on and have a hair cut.

The fact is riling up anger In the context that the world appears bigger and bigger to an individual (the and the increasing realisation that you are being fucked and theirs nothing you can do) in real time is fucking easy as piss. These pricks have got better and better and better at playing us and we perpetually let them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair enough, but I’m not sure that being less rude to Griffin would have prevented anything that came after.
  • We get constant coverage of extreme movements on the right that’s fawning and more concerned with the story then the facts over and over, because the press is majority white, middle class, privately educated and so can marvel at the novelty of extremist view points without ever having to concern themselves with the result. The Brexit Party rally was covered breathlessly is week or so ago, people calling what it has achieved as “remarkable” as they reported on people calling for Theresa May to be fired, or hung, or shot for “betraying” the nation.

What’s remarkable about enabling that? Check any facebook post on politics and you’ll find the same. It’s only remarkable if you’re so detached from reality that you don’t realise how frequently people vocalise abhorrent mindless shit in public.

That’s why the call for balance is ridiculous, because people report on bloodlust as if it’s as bad as a black person being offended at cultural appropriation, as if they’re in any way equatable.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The outcome of Griffin was likely inevitable - but probably more because of his incompetence. 

How he was treated on that show left a bad taste in my mouth.  There was a baying mob mentality and BBC should be better than that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re striking a balance - it's more important than ever to do that because the world is out of kilter the minute. Swaying the other way isn't the answer as attractive as that is. (not saying that's what is being suggested btw)

What I meant was not responding to a race / sexuality offended card being played when it doesn't apply in such a way that is tantamount to bullying with a cowardly knee-jerk reaction.
  • This is an impossible conversion.

You simply cannot equate the sway that the white nationalist movement has with the “knee jerk” reaction people have to inculcated racist shit being trotted out as just result every day japes that black folk have to deal with because it’s the way the world is. The world is riddled with systemic inequality - it’s OUR responsibility to be accountable for that, not kowtow to some absurd conservative sense of “offence culture” when our political and media elite enable a system of persecution that legitimises actual genuine fascists to flourish.
  • Like heaven forbid you might need to be vaguely introspective and examine the power structures that are in place that allow a white bloke to not have to even think about the connotations of equating the royal baby to a monkey, when we have a growing movement of people that genuinely think of black people as racially inferior.

I need to step away from this as it literally has my blood boiling.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    They're part of the same problem, and one fuels the other.
    Costs a great deal to stop a forest fire. Sometimes it's impossible.

But if you can take the lighters away from the maniac, then you're definitely making life easier for a good number of people...

Not just the people who live in the forest itself, either.

And in this specific case, too, this must be a massive full stop on a very mixed week emotionally for Prince Harry, Megan, and the royal family, as Davy pointed out.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • The thing is you can’t balance if people are playing on completely different see saws!

Farage et al’s guts based villainy plays at a part we have to perpetually work to cancel and moderate in ourselves. It’s easy to be nihilistic and violent and monstrous in any moment and tugging at those emotions feels empowering and intoxicating. Except the fallout of such things is never that important when the bad action is carried out.

On the other side you have to have people saying “woah there, stay calm for a minute, do nothing and think this through”. It’s fucking boring, patronising and hectoring (but necessary) when everyone wants to be a master of their own fortune (and thinks if they were they’d be billionaires).

It’s an unwinnable fucking game.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It’s easy to be nihilistic and violent and monstrous in any moment...

Hmm... Taking that point at face value, I'm not sure. 
    But that's a question for someone of Jon's level of expertise, tbh.
  • I actually appreciate the subtle distinction you've made. Reggie applied a specific label to a minority group. People will try to argue the toss, and say that Danny Baker did not. 

No one though, has to be a media professional to understand how the symbolic interpretation of Danny Baker's commentary, and the timing of the joke, can be seen as wildly offensive.

That alone, can be seen as gross incompetence, and the grounds for dismissal in at least any workplace I know of.

I think the difference is that I don’t see it as a subtle distinction, but a fundamental one at the centre of the debate.

I also disagree with the idea that it’s gross incompetence, worthy of dismissal.

Other than that, we’re golden.
  • The guy offended royals of mixed heritage.
    How could he not foresee the consequences. Either he's woefully ignorant of historical context, dumb, incompetent or all of the above.

TLDR: Don't insult royals with dumb (racial) jokes. You'll get fired for crossing them and I can't say I blame them (the royals).
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Didn't Prince Harry dress up as a Nazi a while back.
    Should have been sacked.
  • You can't sack a royal, they are omnipotent for life (birthright!).They can also get you fired if you work for the bbc.

Look at it this way. In the past they would've had your head.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well he was already out of a job coz William exists.
  • Accidents can happen, especially in Parisian tunnels.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    *reporting to Interpol*
  • Cersei would approve.
  • The BBC and The Royals two great British institutions, protecting peados for over 40 years.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Didn't Prince Harry dress up as a Nazi a while back. Should have been sacked.

I honestly don't understand how the world has overlooked that.
    But he's a member of the royal family, not a broadcaster.

And we're all a bit pissed off about what that means (a good number of us here, at least).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I actually appreciate the subtle distinction you've made. Reggie applied a specific label to a minority group. People will try to argue the toss, and say that Danny Baker did not.  No one though, has to be a media professional to understand how the symbolic interpretation of Danny Baker's commentary, and the timing of the joke, can be seen as wildly offensive. That alone, can be seen as gross incompetence, and the grounds for dismissal in at least any workplace I know of.
    I think the difference is that I don’t see it as a subtle distinction, but a fundamental one at the centre of the debate. I also disagree with the idea that it’s gross incompetence, worthy of dismissal. Other than that, we’re golden.

Put it this way, if you overlook what you think Danny Baker meant/intended, and look at how the comments were received by the wider audience in both cases, then you'll find it easier to accept the comparison I'd drawn, because it's not an unreasonable one.

The second point about the penalty for incompetence, is definitely more flexible/subjective.
  • Not a defence of Harry but he was a dumb fucking kid at the time who had definitely been through some shit. A dumb fucking move, but I can understand how a teenager doesn't comprehend properly the full severity of wearing a nazi uniform to a fancy dress party.

My 2p is that Baker is probably right to have gone, it was a right old fuck up. You can't be that short sighted about racist connotations when you're a football guy who knows all about monkey chants from the stands and since your day job is a DJ on the BBC you should probably have a basic grasp of who the big celebrities are since you might have to talk about them.

BBC looking inconsistent as fuck though because their recentish slide into allowing racist mouthpieces onto their channels to debate shit makes a mockery of this decision, even though the people they invite on are guests not employees.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!