Racist
  • Baker’s sacking, and the calling for it, widens the bandwidth for normal people getting fucked over.

Each of us is always one stupid piece fuckery from all of this bullshit and the fact we can effectively participate and observe an employee’s internal disciplinary (and essentially determine and affect the punishment) is an absolute joke.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't know where you work, or what you do, and I don't follow you on twitter because of your job.

It's hardly a comparable situation to the vast majority of people.
  • Andy wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    ...it's people at the BBC not wanting what about Danny Baker thrown at them all the time.

This is part of the problem. The response should be, “What about him?” Sacking him is pandering to the mob. Sacking him is not a rational or reasonable response to what happened. When people are not directly involved, they lose the sense of perspective of what’s being spoken about.

Andy, if you went into work last week - in a diverse environment - and said out loud that the royal baby looked like a monkey, you’d expect to be in trouble, whether you realised your error or not.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Maybe it sets an example in workplaces across the land that racist shit, even if it's of the unintentional variety, will not be tolerated.

I'm still seeing truth in what Dante said earlier, how is that funny if you take race completely out of the equation, and also what reg was getting at, that Baker can't be completely ignorant of all elements which combine to make this a racist faux pas. He's fucked up and paid the price, I'm sure he's not a racist or stupid, but somehow he's managed to tweet a racist, stupid thing. If he was your pal you'd call him out on it, if he's your employee you'd give him the tin tack.
  • If you find it funny or not is irrelevant.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It was meant as a joke though, pretty difficult to see it as such if it's not funny.

Also, it's the first, and weakest, defence of arseholes.

LivDiv, you're a cunt.

Oi!

Only joking.

Or that Nazi cat/dog cunt, whatever his patter was.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    ...it's people at the BBC not wanting what about Danny Baker thrown at them all the time.
    This is part of the problem. The response should be, “What about him?” Sacking him is pandering to the mob. Sacking him is not a rational or reasonable response to what happened. When people are not directly involved, they lose the sense of perspective of what’s being spoken about.
    Andy, if you went into work last week - in a diverse environment - and said out loud that the royal baby looked like a monkey, you’d expect to be in trouble, whether you realised your error or not.

I work in an environment where decision-making is a core skill, an error of judgement can be life or death, and even I wouldn’t expect to lose my job over all but the most serious of mistakes.

Danny Baker is a presenter. If he repeatedly demonstrated serious errors of judgement, or there was a course of conduct that made it look like there was a good chance he was a racist, then I wouldn’t raise an eyebrow at a sacking. But a man losing his livelihood because he told a joke that didn’t land is so obviously ludicrous, it shows a greater lack of judgement than he demonstrated in his tweet.

And that’s before we get to the adoption of an obvious misreading (the royal baby looks like a monkey) as suddenly somehow an unambiguous statement of fact about what he did.
  • It was meant as a joke though, pretty difficult to see it as such if it's not funny.

Also, it's the first, and weakest, defence of arseholes.

LivDiv, you're a cunt.

Oi!

Only joking.

Or that Nazi cat/dog cunt, whatever his patter was.

He explained the joke.
    It was about the royal baby coverage being like a travelling circus. That and he finds chimps dressed as humans amusing. That chimp was dressed up all posh with posh looking humans, making them look like a royal family might.

Theres a non racist joke in that. From Bakers point of view he could have posted it about any of William's 3 kids.
  • Th Nazi dog guy was a different story, he deliberately trained his dog to do that. He also runs an alt right channel, makes horrific, targeted rape jokes and is now part of UKIP.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye but he didn't post it about William's brood did he? Unlucky for him I suppose, he's getting done for being oblivious to the parentage of someone he's doing a joke about.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Th Nazi dog guy was a different story, he deliberately trained his dog to do that. He also runs an alt right channel, makes horrific, targeted rape jokes and is now part of UKIP.

Aye but it was just a joke. Nazi's are funny, ask Harry.
  • @Andy - that you work in that environment is probably making you see this through a different lens. Any life or death decision you make will, no doubt, be viewed as a such - you’ve made a difficult choice, in a difficult situation and consequences happen. We rightly should protect the jobs of people who have to make those choices.

This is entirely different. It wasn’t life or death. It was a broadcaster who messed up because he - deliberately or by accident - made a joke about a mixed-raced mother’s child looking like a monkey. He didn’t need to make the joke, like you have to make decisions. It isn’t the same.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't believe him when he says he didn't know the ethnicity of the mother. I do believe he could have been oblivious to, or not considered the obvious connotations of his joke, but his instance that he didn't know the child was mixed race makes me question his integrity.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Th Nazi dog guy was a different story, he deliberately trained his dog to do that. He also runs an alt right channel, makes horrific, targeted rape jokes and is now part of UKIP.

Aye but it was just a joke. Nazi's are funny, ask Harry.

Could ask the Queen why she has invited the anti democratic, King of Bahrain to watch the horseys as well.
    Notice the BBC haven't bothered with that one.
  • I don't believe him when he says he didn't know the ethnicity of the mother. I do believe he could have been oblivious to, or not considered the obvious connotations of his joke, but his instance that he didn't know the child was mixed race makes me question his integrity.

And I believe it is conceivable it slipped his mind.

Neither of us will ever truly know.

Stealth edit: Either way, he has apologised, he has payed with his job.
    That should really be enough.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The BBC can't sack the Queen.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I don't believe him when he says he didn't know the ethnicity of the mother. I do believe he could have been oblivious to, or not considered the obvious connotations of his joke, but his instance that he didn't know the child was mixed race makes me question his integrity.

It is, but he is claiming he never knew, which is unbelievable.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    This is entirely different. It wasn’t life or death.

Which is why it’s ludicrous that he’s lost his job. The lack of empathy here is astonishing. You’re talking about somebody losing their job like it’s nothing. Yeah, he didn’t have to make the joke. He doesn’t have to make any particular joke. But he does have to entertain his audience.
  • The BBC can't sack the Queen.

No but they can report on her acting the twat.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Racist jokes are entertaining to racists I suppose.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

Aye, strikes me as odd too. Aware enough of the birth etc but not aware of the most (only?) noteworthy aspect of Markle? Nah.

Putting my proper cynical hat on, he had a spot on TalkSport last week promoting something or other. No news is bad news, when a lot of people will be all "Danny who?" about this.
  • He’s paid to broadcast on radio, not post pictures on Twitter.

Edit @Andy
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:

Tbf I always get Kate anf Megan mixed up, no fucking idea half the time which one is dating which. It's not unbelievable at all, there's a couple people at work who had no idea it was Harry and Megan.

It is highly doubtful he didn't know, but entirely plausible it slipped his mind.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    He’s paid to broadcast on radio, not post pictures on Twitter.

Speaking in general terms. I don't think there is a distinction for today's broadcasters.
    An online presence is expected even if not contracted. The smart celebs hire a PR person to filter it all, or even do it for them of course.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:

Tbf I always get Kate anf Megan mixed up, no fucking idea half the time which one is dating which. It's not unbelievable at all, there's a couple people at work who had no idea it was Harry and Megan.

It is highly doubtful he didn't know, but entirely plausible it slipped his mind

Which is almost exactly what I said.
  • ...the most (only?) noteworthy aspect of Markle?
    Pardon?
    Syph79 wrote:
    He’s paid to broadcast on radio, not post pictures on Twitter. Edit @Andy
    In this day and age, few broadcasters/presenters/entertainers can get away with not maintaining an online presence.
  • The media in general was his job. He certainly should've been able to anticipate the backlash considering his job description. If not it's ineptitude thus another reason for firing.

Posting stupid shit on FB/twitter will get you fired, just like any of us?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've accidentally done a racist. Soz, but it was only a joke anyway. Tune in on Saturday!

Untenable.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    ...the most (only?) noteworthy aspect of Markle?
    Pardon?
    Syph79 wrote:
    He’s paid to broadcast on radio, not post pictures on Twitter. Edit @Andy
    In this day and age, few broadcasters/presenters/entertainers can get away without maintaining an online presence.

Don't play the fool. You know what he means.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!