Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't doubt this for a minute
  • regmcfly wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    He didn’t take care when posting something on the world’s most racist and simultaneously the world’s most oversensitive website. A toxic mix that cost him his job. He’ll be picked up by one of the other stations, won’t go near twitter again and that will be that.

Monkey has actually nailed it.

Monkey should change his handle it's insensitive
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Grand
  • The avatar contextualises it. It’s not racist, just mere cultural appropriation.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Journey into the west my friend.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The BBC sacking is over the top.

Hopefully they can ask Nigel Farage about it on his 33rd appearance on Question Time tonight.

Jesus... Wonder if the joke would've worked as well when Prince George was born?

Waiting for John Barnes to rush in, and shape this one up...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    According to the most racist person I know, a person my Romanian missus won't meet because of that reason (understandably), Danny Baker is an absolute massive racist now.

wut
  • I didn't know you were friends with Danny Baker, wtf indeed
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The BBC sacking is ridiculous, but I don't feel like the stuff i've seen him say about him taking it down are self censorship. More like he realised what it looked  like and thought "ah, maybe that does look bad and wasn't what I was going for?"

Just readng this one post and I will read others, I figure that being told 'hey that could be seen as .....' and then taking it down is self censorship, and the clearest example I've seen in a long time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    A man from the 80s not knowing what monkey connotes? Hmm .. I show my S1 pupils the Show Racism The Red Card documentary on which Les Ferdinand described monkey chants pl and bananas on the pitch in detail. As does Shaun Wright Phillips circa 2006. I don't buy the ignorance.

he posted a picture, he didn;t turn up at the birth making monkey chants, lets not conflate the issue
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    "Live by the Monkey pic, die by the Monkey pic" is the family moto of the Bakers of Dagenham.

I'm intrigued what the Hislops of Clapham make of it
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    People reacted, he apologised and removed the picture. To me that is perfectly reasonable given his explanation and lack of any history of racism. If people want their pound of flesh that is on them but I dont think stringing up Baker for this does anything to help race relations.

^ that right there
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Tuppenceworth: it’s not only entirely possible, but entirely human to get so wrapped up in a certain thing that you forget the tangential link it has to a bad thing. His apology tweet makes it quite clear that while he is well aware of Meghan Markle’s ethnicity, and thus the baby’s ethnicity, he wasn’t thinking about them at the time. While he would also be well aware of monkey chants and bananas thrown at football matches, for example, he has probably also never, ever made the link between that type of racism and funny pictures of chimpanzees dressed in human clothes.

^ that there too
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Actually fuck it, the issue argues with itself and requires a judgement call every time, that is the problem, and the funny (? not funny) thing is that everytime we let something innocuous make the pages we are ignoring something that wsa actually hateful
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Actually fuck it, the issue argues with itself and requires a judgement call every time, that is the problem, and the funny (? not funny) thing is that everytime we let something innocuous make the pages we are ignoring something that wsa actually hateful

Speaking from the perspective where this has happened out here, in various versions, I find this the highly dubious take. 

Because:

1. The EXACT same defense is used for ACTUALLY HATEFUL stuff, every freakin time.

2. Those defending the act in question ALWAYS argue this current act isn't the "real" issue.

3. Those attacking people who disagree or mob up are virtually never on "the right side of history" when it comes to what folks would agree are ACTUAL issues.

See any of the stuff on Adam Goodes, the multiple times over DECADES that fans and administrators in our football codes have said and done stuff. (And yes, monkey and ape comments are part of it). See Australia Day and Anzac Day every freakin year.

THe farage comments above are fair, but guess what, you can basically do what Baker did here, get away with it, and have literal Nazis in the senate too. 

Don't slip into bothsidism because a dude got sacked who shouldn't have.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Personally I think he should be executed.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Defending Danny Baker, and not citing the fairly high profile Reggie Yates case (for which, Reggie Yates actually resigned), makes me wonder about how people are really thinking, when they take Danny Baker's side.

It's pretty much the same case, with the colours inverted.

For the record, I think Reggie kopped the right amount of flack too.
    You can't be in that position, and actively encourage those kind of ideas.

Part of the problem with Baker, specifically, is that he's convinced he's done nothing wrong.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Would be interesting to know the typical demographic of his audience. Then you’d maybe have an idea if he was just making a joke or if he was pandering to a certain sentiment.

Looking at it I don’t “feel” that he had intent. However, I do understand that he is an intelligent individual, who works in media and, perhaps, should have had more sense.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @dynamite - what did Reggie do?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Let's make a rainbow of this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41915241/dj-logan-sama-wont-present-1xtra-grime-show-after-making-offensive-comments

I mean, in Sama's case, the Tweets were like, 5 years old, or something.

Unlike the two cases above, however, while Sama can be a bit of a prick at times, he clearly was not being racist. Sexist though? Arguably. And almost imperceptibly, if even that.

But he was remorseful, and accepted quite a harsh punishment.

I'd argue out of the 3, only the outcome of Sama's case was unfair.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message

Not sure his comments about white people, wine and rugby are any better than the Jewish comment but guessing you can lead a headline with that.
  • Taking a step aside from the media side of things, I'd be fucking livid if someone put that joke up in the staff room. I know a lot of people who would find it very offensive and I find it impossible that the racial context to this particular joke didn't at the very least pass through his mind.

Would it lead to a sacking? After dust has been let to settle probably not but I think an employee who did that would have a lot of explaining to do.
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Not sure his comments about white people, wine and rugby are any better than the Jewish comment but guessing you can lead a headline with that.

As Reggie actually has aristocratic white roots, you will now see those comments you cited very differently.

Edit - A little dramatic, and a little flippant, but relevant.
  • It's pretty much the same case, with the colours inverted.

It really isn’t.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:

It really isn’t.

I'm always up for exploring an alternative view. Hate having to challenge cryptic allusions to get at them though...

Please enlighten me.

If you're talking about outcomes, I can possibly agree with that.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    1. The EXACT same defense is used for ACTUALLY HATEFUL stuff, every freakin time.

2. Those defending the act in question ALWAYS argue this current act isn't the "real" issue.

3. Those attacking people who disagree or mob up are virtually never on "the right side of history" when it comes to what folks would agree are ACTUAL issues.

Don't slip into bothsidism because a dude got sacked who shouldn't have.

Won't argue with those points, still think that soshal meedja attracts all the wrong folk and searching for offence is a shitty thing to do
  • Andy wrote:

It really isn’t.

I'm always up for exploring an alternative view. Hate having to challenge cryptic allusions to get at them though...

Please enlighten me.

If you're talking about outcomes, I can possibly agree with that.

No, I’m talking about the fact that Yates specifically referred to ethnicity to argue a serious point, while Baker made no specific reference to ethnicity to make a joking point. The two cases are not alike, other than ‘man no longer has job after comment’.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm usual quite amenable to your arguments Andy, but that's somewhat tenuous...
    Before I take on your specific point, here are the similarities as I see them:

- They're both high profile broadcasters
    - They both used a public forum to court a niche audience audience away from their 'day jobs'
    - They were both 'unaware' of how their 'joke' would be perceived by their mainstream audiences, until the point was put to them
    - In both cases, the comments they made appeared to be racist
    - Heck, they even both work for the Beeb

I actually appreciate the subtle distinction you've made. Reggie applied a specific label to a minority group. People will try to argue the toss, and say that Danny Baker did not. 

No one though, has to be a media professional to understand how the symbolic interpretation of Danny Baker's commentary, and the timing of the joke, can be seen as wildly offensive.

That alone, can be seen as gross incompetence, and the grounds for dismissal in at least any workplace I know of.

And to clarify, do I think that Danny Baker is racist? Unlike Neeson, or what ever the fuck his name is, I'm not sure. But he definitely knows better, and should just concede that, instead of saying additionally offensive shit like "I didn't see the problem, because I don't have a mental disease".

Fucking (edit - over privileged... Tbf, dude's as working class as it gets) twat*.

* Danny Baker I mean, not you Andy, you're lovely, m8.
  • @Cocko

Baker has half a million followers on twitter. His reach via RT must be many times that. What’s more likely, that a handful of them found it potentially offensive, or that some make believe cadre of ever-offended folk were browsing the web specifically looking for someone to slip up?

Also re: your point about self-censorship. Yeah, I actually agree, it is self censorship. But it isn’t a bad thing. I refuse to fall to this stupid right wing rhetoric that even dumb thing you wish to spout should be enshrined and free of criticism. If I say something here that ends up being offensive and someone calls my attention to it, it’s not some streak of lefty fascism that is making me take it down, it’s just compassion and common decency.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!