Racist
  • There is no logic in mk.
    Fatality!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • So that Baker guy pulls a Rosanne and people are torn whether he should be fired for it? She said she didn’t mean it as well.

To be fair I guess she has a long history of being a complete twat, and I don’t know who Danny Baker is.

Edit: and as someone who hasn’t played MK since 9, I had never thought about the fact the parents are pulling fatalities on their kids! That’s messed up! I think that game is slightly too grim for me, and I love gory/horror films etc. But I can’t watch it without flinching.
  • So that Baker guy pulls a Rosanne and people are torn whether he should be fired for it? She said she didn’t mean it as well.

Not quite.

She denied she did anything wrong and tried to blame it on Ambien.

She then continued to be the same hate filled, bloviating, right wing, twatbadger that she was before.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Danny Baker can easily slip into annoying mode. He's quite an enjoyable person to listen a great deal of the time however.

If he was just a stupid arse you could maybe give him a final warning. But he comes across as a smart enough person - so he screwed up . And a message has to be sent out otherwise we get into what was someone thinking at the time which we can never get to the bottom of.

Bill Burr has an amusing answer for it. A shame channel is set up for all the celebs who get fired. Some make it back - many don't.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The general precendent the Baker thing sets is shitty. Imagine you say something in front of everyone at work. It has racist connotations but you just didn't think about them, even though you're a smart enough person. And you're certainly not a big racist with any history of doing similar things. As soon as someone points it out you're mortified and apologise for it to everyone.

You wouldn't be thinking 'fair enough' if you got fired for that. Yes, you made a mistake, but really quite a small one, and you still aren't a big racist.

But for some in here it seems like radio DJs are supposed to be held to a higher standard of accountability than pretty much anyone. I mean, even politicians get away with slip ups like this followed by some mealy-mouthed 'regret if any offence was caused' type non-apology.

You don't want to go down a road where you're thinking, 'yeah that's OK, he made a mistake, deserves to lose his job.' It will start to happen more generally, and if you have a no questions, one strike and you're out policy, you can bet it will be used cynically, be nasty little pricks trying to get their colleagues fired by twisting their words.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    We should protect the practice of redemption.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Nobody should be lauding severe punishments for mistakes (that are essentially immediately admitted as such and have no apparent surrounding pattern) in the context where basically everyone’s lives are being permanently documented in real time.

Furthermore we should also be slower to get onto any territory that smells a bit like “no smoke without fire” land because the dangers in that are also alarming when we know it’s really easy to cynically play a crowd (cf: Brexit).
  • JonB wrote:
    The general precendent the Baker thing sets is shitty. Imagine you say something in front of everyone at work. It has racist connotations but you just didn't think about them, even though you're a smart enough person. And you're certainly not a big racist with any history of doing similar things. As soon as someone points it out you're mortified and apologise for it to everyone.

You wouldn't be thinking 'fair enough' if you got fired for that. Yes, you made a mistake, but really quite a small one, and you still aren't a big racist.

But for some in here it seems like radio DJs are supposed to be held to a higher standard of accountability than pretty much anyone. I mean, even politicians get away with slip ups like this followed by some mealy-mouthed 'regret if any offence was caused' type non-apology.

You don't want to go down a road where you're thinking, 'yeah that's OK, he made a mistake, deserves to lose his job.' It will start to happen more generally, and if you have a no questions, one strike and you're out policy, you can bet it will be used cynically, be nasty little pricks trying to get their colleagues fired by twisting their words.

I'd take it more as if you made the comment amongst other staff, it can be forgiven. You put it out as part of public advertising or with official stationary, we are getting into a more dodgy area.

The firing aspect of this seems a bit over the top but as I said earlier, if someone put that joke up in our staff room I'd be hitting them hard. I don't think people's argument is that we should hold djs to higher account (although there is something to be said for anyone in a public role that they are being both in a position where their comments are given a much larger audience than a regular job would and therefore have to weight that when making a pyclic comment), but I do think the idea that anyone working in media wouldn't be aware of something like the latest birth in the role family feels like a stretch.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    As soon as someone points it out you're mortified and apologise for it to everyone.

Mortified may be pushing it.
    Following allegations of racism over the tweet, Baker deleted the post on Wednesday. “Sorry my gag pic of the little fella in the posh outfit has whipped some up. Never occurred to me because, well, mind not diseased,” he said.

“Soon as those good enough to point out it’s possible connotations got in touch, down it came. And that’s it.”

Baker, 61, repeated his apology on Wednesday evening, saying the post was intended to poke fun at the royal family.

“Once again. Sincere apologies for the stupid unthinking gag pic earlier. Was supposed to be joke about royals vs circus animals in posh clothes but interpreted as about monkeys & race, so rightly deleted,” he said on Twitter. “Royal watching not my forte. Also, guessing it was my turn in the barrel.”

He also made light of it in interviews afterwards.

I think maybe that if he had dealt with the initial apology better, things might have been different.

Source for the above:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/09/danny-baker-apologises-for-chimp-tweet-about-royal-baby
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You don't have to fawn to be contrite. Also who should he be fawning at? As far as I can tell the subject of the tweet is the only person that might actually require an apology, so as he's already been fired then why on earth wouldn't be just as bullish as he normally is
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Anyone else who thinks that they need an apology from him are the problem, they're the idiots that are seeking offence and pushing buttons to give themselves their 15 seconds of internet fame
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    As soon as someone points it out you're mortified and apologise for it to everyone.
    Mortified may be pushing it.
    Maybe you wouldn't be. I think I would.
  • He's talking about Danny Baker, not you or him.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Because that’s the line where you implied Baker was mortified.
  • Nah, it was a hypothetical situation. The point was to imagine if you did something like that completely accidentally, then realised what you'd done and tried to make up for it but still got the boot.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Anyone else who thinks that they need an apology from him are the problem, they're the idiots that are seeking offence and pushing buttons to give themselves their 15 seconds of internet fame

That's not quite fair. You don't have to be the target of something for it to be offensive.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Nah, it was a hypothetical situation. The point was to imagine if you did something like that completely accidentally, then realised what you'd done and tried to make up for it but still got the boot.

I feel it’s an important distinction myself. As I say, I think if he had handled the apology better things might have been different. Appearing dismissive and defensive in that situation is worse than the original fuckup.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    That's not quite fair. You don't have to be the target of something for it to be offensive.

No, but you do to be offended. Also he took the tweet down and apologised, Yoss appeared to imply that the apology wasn't good enough, who gets to decide that?
  • 20 of the best, dragged through hot coals and a pound of flesh.
    Anything less and he might be racist.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:

No, but you do to be offended. Also he took the tweet down and apologised, Yoss appeared to imply that the apology wasn't good enough, who gets to decide that?

The BBC, clearly.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Nah, it was a hypothetical situation. The point was to imagine if you did something like that completely accidentally, then realised what you'd done and tried to make up for it but still got the boot.
    I feel it’s an important distinction myself. As I say, I think if he had handled the apology better things might have been different. Appearing dismissive and defensive in that situation is worse than the original fuckup.
    So it's too much of a stretch of the imagination to consider this system could ever fail? There's some specific line agreed upon by employers where an apology is deemed sufficiently sincere and gets accepted?

I'm trying to make a point about the precedent being set. You're focusing on an irrelevant detail.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Since when has the sincerity or otherwise of an apology been irrelevant to whether or not the apology is accepted?

If simply expressing the word “sorry” is a blanket get out of jail free card then we’re going to have a lot more issues to deal with than the possibility of a system failing from time to time.
  • I'd be curious what the specifics were for the dismissal. For all we know, it might be less about a racist implication and more about attracting bad press to the BBC. I don't really know bakers stuff but he seems to have been critical of his employer, maybe he had been warned to knock that sort of stuff on the head and the BBC felt this fall into the realm of bringing their image through the mud.

I'm not saying I think that's what it was or that I agree with it, but I'd be curious on the exacts.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If simply expressing the word “sorry” is a blanket get out of jail free card then we’re going to have a lot more issues to deal with than the possibility of a system failing from time to time.
    Why would you imagine I was saying that? I think it was pretty clear from my bigger post that that's not my position.

This really isn't going anywhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You appear to think that this can be divorced from its context and held up as a precedent. I don’t, that’s what this comes down to.

Baker’s initial apology was poor and could certainly be taken as suggesting that seeing racism in his joke was the product of a diseased mind. His second apology dismissed the situation as being his turn in the barrel rather than reflecting on his own actions and how that might seem to others. He then went on to start joking about the situation.

If he had made a full, unqualified apology at the start, I’m reasonably sure that this wouldn’t have gone any further, but he didn’t. I don’t know that he should have been fired for it, but I also don’t see this as precedent-setting, and I certainly don’t think that you can simply skate over how poorly he handled the situation when analysing this and what it might mean for others.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Since when has the sincerity or otherwise of an apology been irrelevant to whether or not the apology is accepted?

So not only in a stressful situation they have to come up with a wordy apology and also the right wordy apology. I mean yeah there could be some PR manufactured perfect apology press statement then it’s even easier to see or construct a complete lack of sincerity.

I feel like it’s basically an unwinnable trap at this point in the situation of making a mistake? In which case the trick is always to never make a mistake or do anything which could be construed as a mistake?!

We’ll never know the full details of this (and nor should we) but the public shouldn’t be the court for things like this.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    The general precendent the Baker thing sets is shitty. Imagine you say something in front of everyone at work. It has racist connotations but you just didn't think about them, even though you're a smart enough person. And you're certainly not a big racist with any history of doing similar things. As soon as someone points it out you're mortified and apologise for it to everyone. You wouldn't be thinking 'fair enough' if you got fired for that. Yes, you made a mistake, but really quite a small one, and you still aren't a big racist. But for some in here it seems like radio DJs are supposed to be held to a higher standard of accountability than pretty much anyone. I mean, even politicians get away with slip ups like this followed by some mealy-mouthed 'regret if any offence was caused' type non-apology. You don't want to go down a road where you're thinking, 'yeah that's OK, he made a mistake, deserves to lose his job.' It will start to happen more generally, and if you have a no questions, one strike and you're out policy, you can bet it will be used cynically, be nasty little pricks trying to get their colleagues fired by twisting their words.

Say if a colleague at work has cancer, for example, and as a 'joke', on Slack, on the general chat channel, or on your company wide email group you raise:

"Don't show that bald headed cunt any sympathy. Haha."

Even in a stream of other well wishing messages, and even if you know the guy well, there's a good chance you'll get fired.

That's the 'common sense' side of it.

Culturally though, yourself and Tempy keep pushing this 'bigger picture' idea, completely neglecting the fact that a mixed race Royal family is one of the greatest anti racism gestures we've seen in our time.

Possibly the clearest symbol of a change in culture, at least since Obama.

So perhaps zealously guarding that is more valuable than you think.

No one's even taken the security issue into account.
    Can you imagine the number of death threats the family have received from domestic enemies, since Meghan has married into the family? 

And, interestingly, no one has bought up Alan Sugar yet.
    His comments can possibly be seen as less harmful than Danny's (overlooking intent). But they were no less stupid, and he pretty much got away with that...

Why do you think that is?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • He was probably in a bit of a flap when he made initial apologies/responses. I took it that he meant his mind isn't diseased (regarding any intent), and then the barell thing was just shots fired on the way down, which is probably more of a natural thing to do than totally nailing an apology for something this sensitive at the first pass.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!