Racist
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Hope you don't mind me picking up on just a couple of the points in your response
    JonB wrote:
    Well I've only written one post of any substance, but OK. But I don't see the connection you've made there at all. Danny Baker hasn't undermined whatever symbolic value there is in a mixed race royal marriage.

And:

JonB wrote:
    No one's even taken the security issue into account. Can you imagine the number of death threats the family have received from domestic enemies, since Meghan has married into the family?
    You've lost me there.

I'm saying, that after being subjected to nearly 2 years of (very credible) death threats from neo-nazi groups, targeting the couple because they are mixed raced, and royal, they've seen some very overt attempts to undermine what their relationship represents:

prince-harry-neo-nazis.jpg

And more common, purile attempts at the same thing:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5266657/Ukip-leaders-girlfriends-racist-Meghan-Markle-messages.html

So again, at the very least, if Danny Baker was unaware of the above, he was stupid, and should be sacked for gross incompetence. Because his joke can be clearly seen by most people to fit in with the sentiment illustrated by those two examples. And the image definitely can be used for a nefarious purpose.

It's a bit worrying that a number of people on here don't quite see that, frankly.

And at worse, his joke was inflammatory, racist propaganda, and an abuse of a prominent public platform. But that's harder to prove.  

@facewon

A part of me thinks there is a line to be drawn, and, like Tempy, Jon, and Andy suggests, mans' can lighten up somewhat...

This Danny Baker thing though, is not that line.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • The problem in Mr Bakers case is one of context and intent.

The diseased mind comment could be a reference to himself, as in “who would have enough of a diseased mind to post an image like that as an insult?”

Or as “who ever saw the image and thought it was racist clearly has a diseased mind”.

The problem like with most tweets is that it can easily be read either way.

Which is why people in these situations really need to think before they post a knee jerk response.

If they don’t they end up paying the price.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You think there would be no one objecting to this is we just swap out Danny Baker for Russell Howard?

Are you high?

No, but not nearly as much if at all because of his previous body of work, and yes I’m high but perhaps looking for the good in people.

Edit: He must have known intentionally posting an image which could be perceived as racist would be professional suicide?

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Getting fired as punishment has issues, however, if we're talking glossing over, one of the reasons folks are ambivalent (myself included) about celebs being fired is the loooooong history of them getting away with any old shit, and not only not getting fired, but continuing with massive pay days and no sanctions at all. See Eddie Maguire out here. President of massive football club, ubiquitous TV personality. Host of a show where his off sider makes clarkson look like contra points. Suggests Adam Goodes would be great as promo guy for King Kong. The week after a fan of his club called Goodes a monkey and goodes had to point her out and had her removed. Big apologies from all. So sincere. Goodes, of course, is aboriginal. He's an absolute champion of the game. And was all but forced to retire because of copping it from fans AFTER that incident. Maguire has gone on to say dumb shit about disabled folk and some other howlers. Meanwhile, monkey comments, blackface Nd other such fuckery continue. In tandem with massive racist structure. Won't someone think of the boomer age white blokes and their oblivious comments! Ffs.

I guess the one substantial difference between Baker and McGuire is that many Australians know the latter's form. He has been doing borderline racist/actual racist and generally offensive shit for years, occasionally acting as a "good cop" foil to effectively condone while weakly condemning the more racist acts of Sam Newman. As a consequence, we know McGuire deserves no benefit of the doubt.

Baker on the other hand, we dont know (I dont) in aus.

It might be a genuine mistake, it might not. If Kyle Sandilands made the same post it would be met with criticism. If someone like Scott Stephens said it I would assume it was entirely unintentional and believe his apology.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • And FWIW I read the "diseased mind" remark as saying that anyone who uses the racist monkey insult has a diseased brain. But again, Im no expert on the broadcaster and like @Kara_Jane_Adams says, context may matter.

All this said, people on receiving end of casual racism have every right to be fed up with it so I will get back in my box and hope I havent gravely misread anything here.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I think Baker is a good person.

I believe it was unintentional and the apology both times was genuine.

I don’t believe he should have been sacked by the BBC.

I think his past statements, where he has criticised aspects of the BBC, coupled with the fire the BBC has come under for enabling racist things in the past, as well as the fact it was said with anti Royal sentiment coupled with Baker’s non-integral position in the BBC (and the BBCs tiresome pro-royal coverage) contribute greatly to his sacking. An easy target.

I also believe that the post was easy to construe as offensive, and I can understand why many minority people on twitter (where it was posted) have taken offence at it. Our old chum Ian Evenden wrote about it too, as his daughter is also mixed race, and the connotations of the image upset him. Given the current climate, the way minorities feel, the way we’re listing effortlessly into a white supremacist, conservative, alt-right political world that is doing morning but enshrine centuries of institutes of systematic oppression that constantly batter down those less privileged than us, and Baker, I totally understand the outrage.

I have my sympathy for Baker, I do not believe he should have been sacked after the apology, I find it deeply ironic that the Daily Mail turned up at his door given the shit they enable, but the connotations of the image he posted were deeply unpleasant, and if I can understand why black people may have been deeply offended by it.

It’s possible to hold all of those viewpoints at once without reducing this to a simplistic level.
  • Sorry Tempy, can you reduce the coherent point to 140 characters or less.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Or post a pic. :}
  • Vela wrote:
    Sorry Tempy, can you reduce the coherent point to 140 characters or less.

240 now mate
  • ...gross incompetence...

Given that it’s completely debatable whether or not being unaware of something you don’t need to know about for your job even qualifies as incompetence, it doesn’t even come close to gross incompetence. Please don’t throw around phrases like that to add to your argument.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think it’s very likely that damaging the reputation of the BBC is listed as potential gross incompetence in BBC contracts. I’ve definitely had it in at least some of mine.
  • That’s not what dynamiteReady said, though. He said that not knowing that Harry and Meghan were subject to sustained attacks and death threats (which I don’t doubt, but is nevertheless news to me) amounted to gross incompetence, which it doesn’t.

Whether or not he damaged their reputation is a whole other debate, which the BBC would lose before it even started.
  • So again, at the very least, if Danny Baker was unaware of the above, he was stupid, and should be sacked for gross incompetence. Because his joke can be clearly seen by most people to fit in with the sentiment illustrated by those two examples. And the image definitely can be used for a nefarious purpose. It's a bit worrying that a number of people on here don't quite see that, frankly.
    Perhaps people are just people and don't think about something in a certain way sometimes. It's seems to me something that's easily done, and since his first reaction was an apology and to remove it, I'm not sure what major harm has been done.

What concerns me is that nobody really seems to think DB is racist, or that this picture was posted with any racist intent. And presumably most would agree he would learn from this mistake and think more carefully in future. So do you really want someone who isn't racist, who has (AFAIK) no history of racism in about 30 years of broadcasting to get fired for this? Or would you rather save that kind of punishment for someone who actually does appear to be racist, or hateful in some other way?
  • Tempy wrote:
    I also believe that the post was easy to construe as offensive, and I can understand why many minority people on twitter (where it was posted) have taken offence at it. Our old chum Ian Evenden wrote about it too, as his daughter is also mixed race, and the connotations of the image upset him. Given the current climate, the way minorities feel, the way we’re listing effortlessly into a white supremacist, conservative, alt-right political world that is doing morning but enshrine centuries of institutes of systematic oppression that constantly batter down those less privileged than us, and Baker, I totally understand the outrage.
    This as well, though.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Absolutely that.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • JonB wrote:
    ...Or would you rather save that kind of punishment for someone who actually does appear to be racist, or hateful in some other way?
    After Brand and Wossy’s voice-message hijinks, one would presume that all radio personnel are on a short leash.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    So again, at the very least, if Danny Baker was unaware of the above, he was stupid, and should be sacked for gross incompetence. Because his joke can be clearly seen by most people to fit in with the sentiment illustrated by those two examples. And the image definitely can be used for a nefarious purpose. It's a bit worrying that a number of people on here don't quite see that, frankly.
    So do you really want someone who isn't racist, who has (AFAIK) no history of racism in about 30 years of broadcasting to get fired for this? Or would you rather save that kind of punishment for someone who actually does appear to be racist, or hateful in some other way?

Tbh, I've gone over this point before when I mentioned Big Ron, who I'm pretty sure is not racist (I'm more sure about his intent, than I am Danny Baker's, even though his language was blatantly worse. Off air too, we should add), but was rightfully sacked.

And sorry if you don't like my use of the word 'incompetent' Andy, but even without the specific case of the royal birth, working as a public service broadcaster (paid with our tax money, not commercial sponsorship, we should remember), while throwing monkey pics around on Twitter without a second thought to who might take offence to that, is extremely fucking ignorant, and to my mind, can definitely be construed as incompetence.

Same with Reggie Yates. Or even Beenie Man for that matter (homophobic comments iirc).
    Couldn't remember feeling especially sorry for Beenie Man that time either. 

And I like that mofo's music...
  • Not sure this is suitable for this thread, so apologies in advance if this post doesn’t come across well.

I’ve spent the afternoon in a beer garden at a local pub with family and friends. There’s a park and entertainment for children.

My 9 year old daughter Imogen was taking to to me about the bouncy castle and there was a boy she knew that everyone called “Monkey”, I asked “which boy?”, she replied “the one with the darker skin”.

I’ll be honest, I was shocked. I gave Imogen a talk about racism. It turned out the boy in question was called Monkey because “he’s good at climbing trees”.

I felt a bit of a fool, really, but I genuinely worried.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kids are great and also terrifying. My daughter regularly refers to the girls next door as "the ones with the brown faces" so as to differentiate them from our other neighbours. She's not wrong but, you know!
  • Both children should have notes entered on their permanent records and when they get their first jobs they should be immediately fired.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Friend of mine's kid, when she was about 2 or 3, was in a supermarket queue on her dad's shoulder. There was a black couple with kids behind them. For some reason unknown she decided to start roaring "I don't like black people" repeatedly. Cue much embarrassment on everyone's part. She was later fired.
  • Kow wrote:
    Friend of mine's kid, when she was about 2 or 3, was in a supermarket queue on her dad's shoulder. There was a black couple with kids behind them. For some reason unknown she decided to start roaring "I don't like black people" repeatedly. Cue much embarrassment on everyone's part. She was later fired.

To be fair, if she had apologised...

SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If they had been fair then there would have been no problem.
  • I still don't get what the argument is about. He's not racist, he still had to go. Himpathy, as mentioned elsewhere, is strong it seems. He'll be back on a station in no time. He still had to go.
  • I agree, don't see what people are fussing about here. Open and shut.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I was being serious! I like the dude. But he had to go. You can't do chimp jokes with the first royal to have African genes ever. C'mon.
  • I think it is probably time to put this to bed.
    Most if not all in here are aligned as to the person, theres little point in arguing the toss over the sacking forever.
  • I was being serious! I like the dude. But he had to go. You can't do chimp jokes with the first royal to have African genes ever. C'mon.

Ah sound, yeah agreed.

Also agreed LivDiv, wtf it's been several days of chat here. Enough.

• I was surprised to see so many pages of argument.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!