Racist
  • Brooks wrote:
    Maybe a new bit of Madame Tussaud's called "The Hall of Shits".

Because Madame Tussaud's definitely doesn't have loads of shits in it already eh brainlord
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is it possible for a joke to go under your head?
  • I think Pugs post shows that statues as a way of informing about history are utterly pointless as he's walked past the statue multiple times without knowing what the fuck it was.

No one is even saying to destroy statues, it just happened that in this case after years of trying to get just a plaque explaining that he was a slave trader which was blocked by the fucking Society of Merchant Venturers people got pissed off enough to take matters into their own hands.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's a statue of Satan in the park here. So far, no Christians have pulled it down.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Does it say he is a wonderful person?
  • It's because the plaque says he was the most virtuous and wise son of the city.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No but he's very handsome.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can't think of many statues that put 'cunt' under them.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can't even think of any statue that would have a balanced plaque - "He did lots for this city but he was also a bit of a prick, especially to women."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Which is what I said earlier - statues are to praise and that's all. They don't record anything, we have history books for that. Waste of time the lot of them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's statues but I'm guessing there's a pile of other stuff. Buildings, street names, gravestones, parks, God knows what.

The UK has a fuckton of statues and hardly anyone notices them. That isn't the point. The point is they are artifacts of history. And just because some of them are associated with our unsavoury past doesn't mean we get rid. We update them, replace them, whatever - as long as there is evidence retained. And physical evidence enhances written records if trying to educate and inform.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They're not artefacts of history. They are eulogies to certain people. Getting rid of them does nothing to erase history. So you don't live in Pol Pot Row anymore? What does that change?
  • I think Pugs post shows that statues as a way of informing about history are utterly pointless as he's walked past the statue multiple times without knowing what the fuck it was.

This is not conclusive. I think if you consider an alternative format for a statue or monument, where something is clearly toppled or altered or in some way that stands out from the background imperial architectural furniture you might find that more people take an interest in it's meaning and history.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They are artifacts. They record the fact that enough people cared enough about a public figure to create a monument to them - no matter what they did. And that is the fact that needs recorded. They are documents themselves.
  • Like I said, if you shove the idea of big brass vainglorious posturing dickhead statues out of your head, and think about the other more relevant and interesting ways to represent and remember people now, public monuments can be very useful and valuable.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh yeah. Who are all these people who cared enough to call a square in Madrid after Margaret Thatcher? One person in local government, that's who.
  • If some kind of recognition of his actions was what you were suggesting Davy you really buried in the whole "it's akin to holocaust memorials" 

The statue educated no one. It did nothing, it was an inert piece of glorification that did nothing to teach the history of Bristol. You look at it, you see he's the most wise and and virtuous son of the city. You move along. How many more people now know the history of Bristol's roots in the slave trade, versus how many knew before? Is that a failing of our education system, and our lack of curiosity in general? Sure, but there's only so much a person can learn about this vast world of ours, at some point action speaks louder than words.

Should the statue have been torn down? Debatable - I don't give a fuck, as far as I am concerned you can consign this stuff to the drink and enact real change.

Should the statue have been amended? Absolutely. Did people try? Yes. Was it refused? Yes. What's the next course of action? Eventually when things refuse to change, you always end up at the radical. The radical is nearly always flawed, but it is never inert. As a result an action is taken, and people learn something. Thinking about how to keep that knowledge, how to adapt that action into history is more important now that going on about whether or not the statue should be amended, or could be amended. I've said it so many times now - they could not get the plaque updated. At that point, the statue does nothing to help people understand history. 

You cannot even begin to compare this with the monuments and museums to the war dead, the holocaust dead, it's an inert piece of architecture that serves no useful purpose. We don't need a statue to tell us that people revered the people who built Britain of the back of colonialism - we have centuries of art and literature, as well as our current status in the world telling us this - and decades of Post-Colonial theory trying to educate people about it, frequently written off because they're defined as the exact kind of left, cultural marxism that are being railed against by the people who think all of this PC, SJW stuff has gone too far. Achebe wrote an Image of Africa in 1975, 19 fucking 75. So little has been done to change the way we treat heritage and tradition since.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What would the amended plaque say? "Slave trading arsehhole"? It's better off in a river.
  • Kow wrote:
    What would the amended plaque say? "Slave trading arsehhole"? It's better off in a river.

It was gonna say that "Bristol Council does not condone the actions of Mr. Colston and this statue is in no way an endorsement of racism so please address all future reparations claims to central government."
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    "This statue is your own fault"
  • "Stay alert > vote for statues of slave traders > save lives"
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • "This statue was not erected to celebrate a profiteer of the slave trade, we were just testing our eye sight"

"Originally erected at Pizza Express Woking"
  • Kow wrote:

The proposed plaque was 
    As a high official of the Royal African Company from 1680 to 1692, Edward Colston played an active role in the enslavement of over 84,000 Africans (including 12,000 children) of whom over 19,000 died en route to the Caribbean and America.

“Colston also invested in the Spanish slave trade and in slave-produced sugar. As Tory MP for Bristol (1710-1713), he defended the city’s ‘right’ to trade in enslaved Africans.

“Bristolians who did not subscribe to his religious and political beliefs were not permitted to benefit from his charities

This was opposed by a Tory counciller, who stated "I have never been a believer in taking the law into one's own hands. However, if this partisan and nauseous plaque is approved, I can not find it in my heart to condemn anyone who damages or removes it", and by the Society of Merchant Venturers, who got it changed to

"Edward Colston, 1636-1721, MP for Bristol 1710-1713, was one of this city’s greatest benefactors.

“He supported and endowed schools, almshouses, hospitals and churches in Bristol, London and elsewhere. Many of his charitable foundations continue. This statue was erected in 1895 to commemorate his philanthropy.

“A significant proportion of Colston’s wealth came from investments in slave trading, sugar and other slave-produced goods.

“As an official of the Royal African Company from 1680 to 1692, he was also involved in the transportation of approximately 84,000 enslaved African men, women and young children, of whom 19,000 died on voyages from West Africa to the Caribbean and the Americas.”"

When the Mayor found out what it was changed to, he axed it.
  • Kow wrote:
    No but he's very handsome.

What a surprise, Satan looks like a moor
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Morgan Freeman?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Statues are , I suppose, a rather outdated thing.

There's a damn good chance some of the ones dotted about the country had been self funded for all I know.

What I want to avoid is the odious, slippery revision of history that certain parties try to do - step by tiny step - each seemingly reasonable at the time. We have seen enough lies spread of late.

I want to be able to ram as much material evidence down the throat of anyone who tries to use oration, social media or any other tool to cast doubt over any mis-doings of the past - be it slavery, genocide, terrorism, child abuse - whatever.

Before anything is removed or destroyed its role as evidence has to be calmly and rationally analysed - and not at the micro level.

The airbrushing of history is something that particularly irks me. Well meaning actions tend to be contemporaneous - and the last thing I'd want to see is anything happening as the result of angry peoples' actions being used at some future point to cast doubt over the validity of any claim.

Statues seem to be part and parcel of our society and culture - we seem to like putting them up and I doubt any have been put up without some sort of controversy.  Like the word "genius" I consider them to be overused now and their use in the past was no doubt heavily skewed to representing the upper classes or climber industrialists no matter what behaviours they indulged in. 

That however is our history. And in response to changing plaques - as long as they are factual and agenda-free then a revision of them all should be policy. But we might see a lot more notables in the river after that.
  • Are there many put up these days? Other than of footballers on private property outside grounds.

I feel like we are moving away from them as a society, with more focus on groups of people or events.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The hoi polloi are the common masses, not the opposite. FYI. Unless I misunderstood what you're saying.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    The hoi polloi are the common masses, not the opposite. FYI. Unless I misunderstood what you're saying.

Jesus you're right....totally misused that phrase - will edit.

EDIT: not the 1st time I have misused that - it somehow auto suggests the opposite of its meaning to me and trips me up.
  • Anyone remember this gem?

wj0sDBr.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!