Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It needs digital. Something that can be used easily for teachers as well as for people who want to self educate on the subject.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Museums have a role in education*. Getting the message in at the start - with kids - that's the only real way anything changes wrt attitudes which is the core issue with racism.

That can be physical and digital - I think we need both and have them complementary.

*That and developing critical thought of course - but that's another story.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You’d need the government to enforce such an agenda too. Schools are a good vehicle but there’s way too much pressure to do other things with the time they have. We also know that the government can choose bits of history that can be favourable.
  • Tbh they should start by educating adults about racism, the kids seem to have no problem accepting each other these days, until they have their opinions informed by the ignorance displayed by their elders.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s not going to work bud. I’d give that generation up as lost. Too entrenched in tribalistic responses to any kind of debate. Just look at Twitter. It’s the kids that will determine societies values.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Tbh they should start by educating adults about racism, the kids seem to have no problem accepting each other these days, until they have their opinions informed by the ignorance displayed by their elders.

Im not sure. Adults are more entrenched in their ideas, kids are generally more open to new ideas.

It probably needs a concerted effort for both. I think a start might be not to attribute blame but simply state the facts. White people (myself included I must admit) can feel very defensive about this, especially if they themselves have never been knowingly racist (not saying their isn't a subconscious racism). I think that's were much of the push back in the US comes with the BLM, telling poor white folk that America is holding down the black people and shouldn't all white people accept their massive privelage is a hard sell.

Evidence like that photo from the previous page is a great education - just reading the story would enlighten and humble the reader if they are white. As Brooks said, it doesn't need the "I'm in tears drama", the story does enough.similar to the story in black klansman. The story of the lynching silenced a whole Irish cinema of white people when I went to see it. It made you think hard on things without pointing a finger.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Stop punching down on arts education, might help. See it happen so much - literature is useless, it’s just books! The curtains were just blue! But pretty much every literature course has Post-Colonialism as one of its foundation pillars. I don’t shake up of the GCSE curriculum to include some analysis of why the canon is the way it is would be beyond kids. It doesn’t need to be supremely expansive, get some Achebe in there etc
  • There's a lot of thick people too, my uncle's in a motorbike fb group so I get a glimpse into comments from them, one today was something like, 'slavery wus generations ago an these slaveries yes ws badbut they also done universities built are cities and all other thiings these snowflake generation forgets.it was whites wot abloished slaveries'

My uncle himself is fine but the folk that comment on his posts, jesus fuck. You can't get those people to even understand that racism doesn't need to be overt, they see slavery as ended so job done.
  • nick_md wrote:
    There's a lot of thick people too, my uncle's in a motorbike fb group so I get a glimpse into comments from them, one today was something like, 'slavery wus generations ago an these slaveries yes ws badbut they also done universities built are cities and all other thiings these snowflake generation forgets.it was whites wot abloished slaveries'

My uncle himself is fine but the folk that comment on his posts, jesus fuck. You can't get those people to even understand that racism doesn't need to be overt, they see slavery as ended so job done.

Officer, technically I'm the hero. I was the one who stopped hitting the man after all
    SFV - reddave360
  • Ending racism has to start with education in schools about our colonial past and that includes slavery.
    The reason why it hasn't been done before is a combination of ignorance, colonialist pride and fear of migrant revolt a la BLM. The strategy of let sleeping dogs lie.

Well the dogs are awake. What now?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'd love to wade in and try to explain systemic racism to them but it's just a losing battle with these people. I don't think they actively hate poc but they don't see a problem with the current situation because it's not like there are chains and lynchings.
  • Some people I know have no concept of white privilege. They're getting to understand some of this now but it's been a huge wake up call for some people. I've seen a lot of comments on fb from people I barely know, and i've had to delete a couple of people who were lost causes but the others i've tried my best to educate as well as I can but i'm no where near articulate enough (or knowledgeable enough). It's not something you can instantly. And i've no idea how you reverse something which is so systemic.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Honestly think the way it's presented puts people into a defensive mode, especially in populations which are largely white and western. List the atrocities and hopefully people will see the shame in the history and maybe stop glorifying it.

I don't want to excuse the past but I think there needs to be some separation.
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    My family and friends were amused by how so few Black and Asian people were actually involved in tearing down the Colston statue, or defacing the Churchill one. 

Tells you a great deal in itself.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • What does it say? That anyone can be offended by sins of the past being ignored?
  • I guess it says many more white people are involved with blm and racial protests than in the past. That's arguably a good thing as institutionalised racism tends to respond better/more lenient to white people protesting.

Sounds like a contradiction but....it is what it is. If you want to generate change you need that wider shift in public opinion. In the west that means the general support of white people. If it were just a black rally and the police clamped down on them with teargas and batons noone would've batted an eyelid. Just like 50 years prior.

Throw in white people in the mix and politicians start getting nervous.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    What does it say? That anyone can be offended by sins of the past being ignored?

It says many things.

But for one, I'm waiting to see if the people directly involved in destroying the statue will see any prison time at all.

Because, you know, the people who really do respect this cause, will understand me when I say I care more about the inequity encoded (and deeply hidden) in the Occidental Justice system itself, than the destruction of a single statue, and a discussion about rewriting a few plaques.

So it's an amusing side-effect, yes. But it just represents a new plateau of ignorance to me.
    You'd have thought that 1994 would have represented a real full stop.

Not this fucking statue.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Shame we can’t just give these statues a new head or something and collectively agree it’s depicting someone else.

My guess is that whatever installation replaces these will be aesthetically shitter
  • I went to the Simpson wiki in the end!
  • So just read that Little Britain has been removed from the BBC player and netflix due to Black face. I may have missed the outcry if there was any, but it brings a thought to my head of who decides what goes, who asks for it to go and can it be objected. So somewhat similar to Gone with the Wind in a way.

In both cases I dont see any issue - Netflix, HBO and BBC should be free to put what they like on their streaming service. I'm not sure BBC have a role to play in documenting old BBC programs but HBO and netflix certainly have no obligations.

But how does the process go - and can other programs be asked to be removed? Whats the appeal process?

Much like the statues for some it wont be a problem, for others it will be a necessary part of Society to move forward into better understanding and for others it will be seen as an attack on their culture.

Incidentally - The article I read this about included endorsement on the removal by co-creator Matt Lucas, who felt the humour was more cruel and society had moved on.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think Netflix or BBC go:

Is it worth the hassle of keeping this here?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I presume League of Gentlemen and Tropic Thunder are out of bounds now as well.

Bluray and DVD for the win.
  • As I mentioned earlier in the thread, that Gone With the Wind has only been removed temporarily, it will be coming back when they can link it to something educational.

The guy person brought up the idea of removing it from their rotation righ tnow was John Ridley, the screenwriter of 12 Years a Slave, he wrote an Op-Ed in the LA Times.

Think this paragraph clears up his view pretty well:
    Let me be real clear: I don’t believe in censorship. I don’t think “Gone With the Wind” should be relegated to a vault in Burbank. I would just ask, after a respectful amount of time has passed, that the film be re-introduced to the HBO Max platform along with other films that give a more broad-based and complete picture of what slavery and the Confederacy truly were. Or, perhaps it could be paired with conversations about narratives and why it’s important to have many voices sharing stories from different perspectives rather than merely those reinforcing the views of the prevailing culture.

Culture evolves, representation evolves, discourse allows new voices to be heard, and new opinions to be aired. What was OK yesterday may not be OK tomorrow. Streaming platforms that don't consider themselves archivist really only have capital to answer to. Considering the current flashpoint in America, I really can't see any problem with Ridley's view point, what he's suggested, or how HBO Max have responded. I can see an issue with how it has been reported, word of mouth afterwards.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That makes perfect sense to me.  And as was said earlier - the Tom and Jerry cartoons have been put into context on the disc releases.

It's the sort of thing we will be seeing more of now and it's fair to say it's been late in coming.
  • I think Netflix or BBC go: Is it worth the hassle of keeping this here?

Yeah, fair enough. But what about when its something that Netflix or BBC wants to keep but some people find offence. IN the same instances like this statue - how do you ask for something to be removed, can others oppose it etc.

Its not so much a big issue for a thing like Netflix but TV shows, Music etc. are all part of history and culture. So its a bit more of an issue for BBC to 'cancel' something. I'm not defending Little Britain - I thought it had a few good jokes alright but it did have a nasty sneering vibe which I'm not a fan of. But thats not the issue. I suppose the question is removing something from a BBC archive like iPlayer a good thing in that it might offend people (but did it actually - did anyone complain to netflix or BBC) or is it a way for the BBC in particular to hide something it made great profit off but now looks back and thinks it might be better if people forgot about it being a BBC thing.

Also, there is an issue of things disappearing. I'm still pissed Outrun 2 isnt available anymore and I'm guessing something like Little Britain had much more cultural impact.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Little Britain would be on the radar for a number of reasons....there was the vomiting WI member character and the "I'm a lady" characters.  The Thai bride and The slimming club would probably get a touch too.

Trying to think of any content in that show that wouldn't be causing concern to the BBC lawyers actually...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    That makes perfect sense to me.  And as was said earlier - the Tom and Jerry cartoons have been put into context on the disc releases. It's the sort of thing we will be seeing more of now and it's fair to say it's been late in coming.

True that, I remember getting hold of "Coal Black and Snow White", and wow it was pretty shocking. Didn't legitimise racism to me, had the complete opposite effect, but then I saw it years after in an environment where it was alien. The issues lie with the more subtle, innocent, and ignorant examples
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!