Racist
  • Kow wrote:
    The niggers and wogs joke is clearly a joke at the expense of the major and his lack of social awareness. I don't have a problem with it. Doubtless at the time, some people would have thought it's funny because it's true. That's not really the case anymore. Nobody gives a shit that the Irish are unironically presented as useless thickos. And how many thousands of British holiday makers have hilariously shouted Oi Manuel at a waiter in Spain. I'd say a huge amount of negative stereotyping of the Spanish can be traced back to Manuel.

This point seems to start one way and then reverse into answering why it needs to be deleted?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A lot of the Irish stereotyping I don't have much problem with, especially if it's done knowingly. Alf Garnett is a good example. He was full of coons and paddies and micks. But he was also a very clever satire of a type of British mentality. I do worry that a lot of clever and beneficial writing will get swept out with the trash in a big cultural clean up.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The niggers and wogs joke is clearly a joke at the expense of the major and his lack of social awareness. I don't have a problem with it. Doubtless at the time, some people would have thought it's funny because it's true. That's not really the case anymore. Nobody gives a shit that the Irish are unironically presented as useless thickos. And how many thousands of British holiday makers have hilariously shouted Oi Manuel at a waiter in Spain. I'd say a huge amount of negative stereotyping of the Spanish can be traced back to Manuel.
    This point seems to start one way and then reverse into answering why it needs to be deleted?

No, I'm just curious as to why some harmful stereotypes are largely ignored and others not. I guess at the moment it's clear why black culture is centre field. In general, I'm not in favour of deleting anything but rather introducing with explanations and letting viewers make their own minds up.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I always found it such a contrast, when working abroad I found many of the Brits to be amongst the best travellers I'd seen, however on holiday normally a bunch of fucking morons

edit: the comment about the Spanish rang true and reminded of this 

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's always likely to be a muddy field on this kind of thing. 
    In general, I'm not in favour of deleting anything but rather introducing with explanations and letting viewers make their own minds up.
    Probably the only real way to deal with it. I suppose the difference might be - does something actively promote racism or bigotry as a good thing? Most media side steps this - comedy will always hover around offending people, intentionally or unintentionally. Telling Harry Einfield to stop impersonating people seems the wrong approach to me - especially as the sends up of Trump and his cronies by the likes of SNL has been helpful in showing how idiotic some of these people are.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Car Crash Dragon's Den pitch...was going bad until the Spanish came up.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2W8pd7Zq0
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • She was briefly married to Jeremy Clarkson...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I always found it such a contrast, when working abroad I found many of the Brits to be amongst the best travellers I'd seen, however on holiday normally a bunch of fucking morons edit: the comment about the Spanish rang true and reminded of this 

I enjoyed that, and glad he backs up my 'cho-ree-tho' use.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's no need to back it up. It's correct.
  • nick_md wrote:
    LarryDavid wrote:
    They already edit it out of OFAH I think. @cocko
    It was in on the Netflix ones, I rewatched them a couple of months back. We also had 'Irish tumbledrier' (cement mixer), referring to Brixton as Rorke's Drift, 'Spic drinking club', calling a random black guy 'Mandingo', 'poofs' and saying that 'he'd think battersea dogs home was a takeaway' of an Korean guy.

Okay, didn't know that. The ones I saw repeated earlier in the year (probably UKTV or whatever) had definitely been tinkered with a bit. Maybe it was because of the time they were being shown, which was during the day. (It was lockdown and OFAH served as nostalgic comfort TV during a weird, scary time).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Although cho ree so is also acceptable.
  • I know, but I never hear anyone (English) say it outside my immediate family, everyone's always choritzo and thinks I'm odd for saying it differently.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My mother used to pronounce it koritzo. Jesus.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    LarryDavid wrote:
    They already edit it out of OFAH I think. @cocko
    It was in on the Netflix ones, I rewatched them a couple of months back. We also had 'Irish tumbledrier' (cement mixer), referring to Brixton as Rorke's Drift, 'Spic drinking club', calling a random black guy 'Mandingo', 'poofs' and saying that 'he'd think battersea dogs home was a takeaway' of an Korean guy.
    Okay, didn't know that. The ones I saw repeated earlier in the year (probably UKTV or whatever) had definitely been tinkered with a bit. Maybe it was because of the time they were being shown, which was during the day. (It was lockdown and OFAH served as nostalgic comfort TV during a weird, scary time).

Yeah I watched a load at the start of lockdown too, the early episodes still hold up, right up until Raquel starts coming in really and they shift to 1hr+ length.
  • This video is 5 years old.  I looked it up after I saw it mentioned.  It's incredible.

• See, I told you there was a knee in the neck sop for black people....
    I'm surprised he didn't do a chokehold on a 14 year old girl.
    'You WILL respect my autharitaaahhh!!!'
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • A little clarity

His name is Baby legs and He's not racist, he was just very, very excited to get out with the normal sized cops.

Look at the barrel roll at the start FFS
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Posted in the US politics thread already, but trump is holding an election rally, in Tulsa, on Juneteenth. If that's not a dog whistle then I don't know what is.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    This video is 5 years old.  I looked it up after I saw it mentioned.  It's incredible.

Utter cunt. Utter fucking cunt.

• This guy is high af, and I wonder how many of these guys are.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He's a fucking head case.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I mean the roll at the start. Wtf?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fell over a tree root. Should have broke his fucking neck.
  • Man is a fucking disgrace.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Never trust little people.
  • Tempy wrote:

I remember dating a girl from that town. My first visit to ashbourne in winter. The date ended with her telling me i should go home. Not because I'd done anything wrong, but it would soon be throwing out time at the pubs (the bus stop back was around the corner from the pub with that black face bust on it), and i might get some trouble from the locals. She could have said that hours earlier! I shat myself literally standing at the bus stop, freezing and waiting for that darned bus by myself. 17 yrs old and 9 stone nothing. Luckily i didnt see anyone.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy Fuck - that Guardian article for real???? How is that tolerated?

54 years I've lived in the bigoted hole that is NI and I have never seen anything as ridiculous as that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The whole thing reminded me of the Smash The Jew Egg bit from Borat but that was satire. The sad thing is this is real life in Britain now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Holy Fuck - that Guardian article for real???? How is that tolerated? 54 years I've lived in the bigoted hole that is NI and I have never seen anything as ridiculous as that.

To be honest the black head in question doesn't have typically African features, it's a colliery thing, not a colonial thing. That doesn't excuse it, you don't get to decide who is offended by your actions. However by the same token it's also an East Midlands town, and believe it or not from some of the views expressed on that page, it's one of the more progressive ones
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!