Racist
  • Fundamentally, they can sack you for pretty much any reason in your first 2 years with a company nowadays.  Even if you're beyond that and have access to an employment tribunal, every contract I've ever signed has had something like a "bringing the company's name into disrepute = gross misconduct" clause.  As soon as he was outed as a massive racist, the company look bad.

It was hilarious seeing it on twitter, with all the racists going "WELL THEY'LL SEE HIM IN THE TRIBUNAL THEY CAN'T SACK HIM" etc, when it's their own beloved Tories who've shot employment rights up the wall too.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Interesting...the guy is a cunt, but I wonder what grounds him and his mrs employers used to fire them?...

Gross misconduct.

Actions that bring your organisation into a state of disrepute, either directly, or indirectly, are reasonable grounds for the dismissal, right?

But it will be at the employer's discretion.

Some organisations would have just overlooked it, but it was just too high profile to sweep under the rug. 

Quite unlike the time I remember finding racist death threats in the toilet of a Marks and Spencers warehouse. I raised it, and got sacked days afterwards.
    Because that's another way to deal with a case with the potential to cause disrepute.

I suppose I can laugh about that now.

That was at the height of Blair's second term, iirc.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Roujin wrote:
    Interesting...the guy is a cunt, but I wonder what grounds him and his mrs employers used to fire them?...

Gross misconduct.

Actions that bring your organisation into a state of disrepute, either directly, or indirectly, are reasonable grounds for the dismissal, right?

But it will be at the employer's discretion.

Some organisations would have just overlooked it, but it was just too high profile to sweep under the rug. 

Quite unlike the time I remember finding racist death threats in the toilet of a Marks and Spencers warehouse. I raised it, and got sacked days afterwards.
    Because that's another way to deal with a case with the potential to cause disrepute.

I suppose I can laugh about that now.

That was at the height of Blair's second term, iirc.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/25/i-foundracism-runs-through-the-afl-it-has-failed-to-uphold-the-rights-and-safety-of-black-players

We'll, at least organisations have learned since then.... Wait, shit.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ecclestone on Hitler

"In a lot of ways, terrible to say this I suppose, but apart from the fact that Hitler got taken away and persuaded to do things that I have no idea whether he wanted to do or not, he was in the way that he could command a lot of people, able to get things done.

In the end he got lost, so he wasn't a very good dictator because either he had all these things and knew what was going on and insisted, or he just went along with it...so either way he wasn't a dictator."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He sounds like Trump.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You'd have thought Ecclestone would identify with Napoleon more
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ah good, Ecclestone continues to prove how much of a cunt he is by outing himself as a massive racist.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Iv been talking to my trump supporting, men's rights activist, brexit and Johnson supporting "friend". We used to live together a long time ago. He was a sound bloke, just right wing. He's completely radicalised himself.

My mental health has just shot to shit. It's so tiring. Here is a small sample.
    Spoiler:

I'm the only one in the cohort who still engages him. I thought I could help him, and when I engage I do - he will climb down from absolute simplistic racist POVs like the above. But then a month or two wil pass and I'll get something like this. My anxiety goes up, I get depressed. He's very tetchy, I think he wants to drive me away - as in, I can't handle the truth like all the SJWs etc.

I handled this one by asking him if he thought my ex, who was black and he got on very well with, was a low iq subhuman dog shit. He just kept ranting on and didn't answer.

I have no question for you lot. I guess I will just ignore him. Last time I told him I was too tired to talk. I actually had a headache. Last time it was about globalist Jews. The time before it was about the Muslamics. Merkel and open borders. Traitors. It never ends. I think he is actually ill. As in sick.in the head. I think he's lost his job now.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry man, tiring is exactly the word for these folk. A friend of mine years ago used to get very upset by these people, I used to try to placate him by saying "they'll learn, they'll grow, you're just a few years ahead is all". Thing is that was near on 20 years ago. Patience gone. Had some bloke this morning try to look all sensible, but then started arguing against things I hadn't even said. Which is patently ridiculous, you poor bastards have known me for ages and realise there's plenty of things I actually say that can be argued with. Not really sure any of this helps, just really to say sorry, it's shit, your energy is yours, you don't owe him anything
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have a very good friend who seems to be sailing down that stream and it's quite upsetting as we were, and to some extent still are, very close. He's a very smart guy and will never go full on racist but he spouts a lot of Sam Harris claptrap and stuff about how Islam is just bad and the old Clash of Civilizations nonsense. Everything can be argued by simply shouting 'political correctness'. I don't know what to do either and every time I talk to him I end up feeling stressed and bad so I try not to meet him so much, which in turn makes me feel even worse. **no help**
  • Is Sam Harris considered a racist? I know he's polarising but I've listened to him quite extensively and don't really see it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well he's certainly an Islamophobe.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've not read or listened to him much, so this comment isn't Harris specific, but I see a lot of people of various channels who may not make racist comments but they say a lot of things that enable racists. As far as I'm concerned that is more damaging, as it's more pervasive, it's less easily written off as fanaticism
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mr friend has honed his "debating skills" on YouTube comments sections and other places, "educating" people, so after a few drinks there's no point in actual discussion as everything becomes "so you're saying we should just let them murder us..." etc etc ad naseum.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, "them", such an innocent turn of phrase, how could that be racist, "us", what's wrong with that, just clubbing together those that might identify with me
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, to be fair, he's a smart guy and can define what he means by us and them in terms of history and culture. He's not a thicko hooligan type, which makes it all the sadder, really.
  • Same with this guy. And weirdly a guy who has never been racist to anyone when I knew him - and whose friends are mostly ethnics. London born and bred. He just radicalised himself online. Or maybe his father or mother are secret Nazis, I've been wondering. I dunno. All I know is my heart sinks when i see I got a WhatsApp from him. "What now".
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    And that choice of phrasing is exactly what I mean by more insidious, it doesn't betray any racist tendencies, yet if one those "thicko hooligan types" were to read it, you know that there take it as an affirmation
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Iv been talking to my trump supporting, men's rights activist, brexit and Johnson supporting "friend". We used to live together a long time ago. He was a sound bloke, just right wing. He's completely radicalised himself.

My mental health has just shot to shit. It's so tiring. Here is a small sample.
    Spoiler:

I'm the only one in the cohort who still engages him. I thought I could help him, and when I engage I do - he will climb down from absolute simplistic racist POVs like the above. But then a month or two wil pass and I'll get something like this. My anxiety goes up, I get depressed. He's very tetchy, I think he wants to drive me away - as in, I can't handle the truth like all the SJWs etc.

I handled this one by asking him if he thought my ex, who was black and he got on very well with, was a low iq subhuman dog shit. He just kept ranting on and didn't answer.

I have no question for you lot. I guess I will just ignore him. Last time I told him I was too tired to talk. I actually had a headache. Last time it was about globalist Jews. The time before it was about the Muslamics. Merkel and open borders. Traitors. It never ends. I think he is actually ill. As in sick.in the head. I think he's lost his job now.

I've essentially given up social media because of people like this.

Even my educated associates (they're not friends) post shit like this:
    This is utterly heartbreaking to see and it is unfortunately a generational issue. They would rather fight statues than stop poisoning our oceans.

With a picture of Bournemouth beach covered in rubbish.

I'd put money on it that at least 90% of the people on that beach leaving rubbish behind were no where near the BLM protests, but I just don't have the energy to argue with these people now. I just know that the debate will be an endless game of shifting goal posts without any conclusion or positive result, so what's the point?
  • At least it's not actual Nazi stuff being said there. The use of the term "subhuman" is a new low. The guy is beyond redemption isn't he. Waste of fucking time.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, agreed. That is the milder stuff I see. It's just incredibly disheartening to see that type of reductive, non evidenced shit take from seemingly intelligent, university educated and world wise individuals, who I had assumed would be resilient to that type of reasoning. If they fall for it what hope for the vast majority?
  • I think there are two ways to try and tackle racist awfulness like this, and probably both are needed to be effective. Everything starts with education, and kids should be getting taught at a fairly early age about things like echo chambers, myopia within your societal context, and how easy to is to convince others of irrational beliefs by manipulating data and using subtle wording. Anthropology in general should be a required subject, learning about how your own species operates seems quite obviously very important.

Such education is of critical importance right now. Perhaps those things are getting taught in schools currently, I don't know, they definitely weren't for me when I was there. I can imagine some ways of teaching those things to young kids that could be quite effective too, modern technology can allow communication between classrooms on opposite sides of the world, and I think there's a great opportunity there to broaden their understanding of people and culture by allowing them to talk to kids in very different societies.

The other thing that I think needs to happen is for better information propagation platforms to be developed, i.e. new forms of social media that aren't based around an algorithm that placates the user by primarily showing things that fit within their current worldview and promote the loudest rhetoric. I've got some ideas for how this could be accomplished but more research is needed. I definitely think there is some serious untapped potential in the currently available technology for a tool that's far better than the mess of corrupt platforms we have now.

As far as trying to get through to people that have already raised the walls of hate and ignorance around them I really don't know what to do, losing friends that way must be really tragic. The best thing to do that I can think of is to try and give them some new ideas, new mental tools that they might not have considered previously, plant the seeds of doubt and inquiry and hope that they might grow into a deeper understanding.
  • Aye, there's no doubt in my mind that as a society, we're being radicalised by algorithms that were primarily designed to just keep us watching. When you dig deeper into how (for instance) the YouTube algorithm apparently works, then this unwanted and deeply harmful byproduct of consumerism becomes all too apparent. Coupled with things like the human need to belong, and the para-social relationships fostered by content creators, we're on a really problematic downward spiral that absolutely isn't going to end well.
    I certainly don't have the answer, but I think maybe I can see what's causing the problems, so I suppose that's a start.
    Still, stuff like this gives you a little hope...

anyway, I'm off to watch some amusing cat videos.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's all very well saying education is the key, but who's going to do the educating when leaders, educators and role models all believe this shit too? Who is left to do the educating? Who is going to allocate the resources to do it? Who will want to do it?
  • wait reg tiger and daddy are nazis what?
  • Kow wrote:
    It's all very well saying education is the key, but who's going to do the educating when leaders, educators and role models all believe this shit too? Who is left to do the educating? Who is going to allocate the resources to do it? Who will want to do it?

The right doesn't want to educate the masses.
    Waste of money as far as they're concerned. Exceptional people will rise to the top anyway; it is one of their core tenets. Besides, the dumber the populace the cheaper the workforce. Easier to manipulate them with propaganda and fake news too. Eventually, they will vote conservative and the class pyramid is reinforced and maintained

The left is too divided and clueless. Education is definitely a thing as is the media blue collars consume. The working class is ingrained with sensationalist Murdoch tabloids, facebook sanctioned news/ads/propaganda and youtube algorithms serving ever more extreme content. All this controlled by right wing media and Big Tech. If the left wants change this situation needs to be addressed eventually.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It's an almost complete waste of time waiting for a government to enact substantial change in anything at a fast enough rate for our exponentially evolving present. It's far better to try and self-organise using the available communication technology to get things rolling at a local or small institutional level. Otherwise you just end up waiting and hoping and inevitably complaining when the System lets us all down once again, a fundamental change needs to occur for governements to become actually effective at this kind of thing, and that change isn't going to come from within.
  • You could play by the rules but what if that doesn't work because the system is rigged against you? This is essentially what BLM is about regardless of race. What if you cannot trust the system due to hidden inherent internal bias?

I am aware these are difficult questions and there are no easy answers.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Funkstain wrote:
    wait reg tiger and daddy are nazis what?
    :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!