Racist
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I don't think I could ever support capital punishment anymore.  Not only is there always a fraction of a percentage change that someone's actually innocent, there's always so much more to the reasons people do things.  Rehabilitation is always better, it just costs much more.

This is about where I am at with it.
    I think that despite the costs rehabilitation would be better overall for society. I don't believe in "evil", there is a reason these people have committed these crimes and whether if that is medical or social we need these people alive and mainly cooperative to understand it. We can then use that information to hopefully avoid others committing the same crime.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not everyone can be rehabilitated though. Life in prison for those types should mean life. If they can't be rehabilitated they should be released.
  • Yeah of course, but if they are dead they definitely cant. I'm not against rehabilitated people being released but I'm not sure we know enough yet about the worst of criminals to do so. In time we might but it takes proper work and funding in that area.

The whole defund the police argument can work similarly to defunding prisons, particularly in America.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    I don't think I could ever support capital punishment anymore.  Not only is there always a fraction of a percentage change that someone's actually innocent, there's always so much more to the reasons people do things.  Rehabilitation is always better, it just costs much more.

Same here.  I was very much in the hang 'em high school of thought when younger but not any more.

No trial system is perfect so it's not viable. But even if there was a 100% closed case I don't think we can take a life no matter how repellent the crimes. A life of sufferance is a far more fitting punishment anyhow. I'm not convinced it's a deterrent.

I'm not sure keeping someone locked up for 23hrs a day is the answer either though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/18/uncle-bens-rice-firm-to-scrap-brand-image-of-black-farmer

Uncle Ben's is going...

Also, so might be the rugby song, ...swing low..sweet chariot...

As its racist apparently (i know nothing about rugby).
  • Not everyone can be rehabilitated though. Life in prison for those types should mean life. If they can't be rehabilitated they should be released.

A louis theroux epsiode was repeated on bbc earlier this week when he visited a prison in San Francisco.
    One of the prisoners was in for 11 life sentences and a total of 512 years. He'd done some very nasty stuff to people during home invasions. Anyway that chap has been in prisons of one sort or another since age 11. He was now 22. So prison is all hes really known.

In those cases, where hes a burden on the system for the rest of his life, maybe death penalty maybe better?!?
  • Capital punishment as a deterrent doesn't work; no one who is going to commit a crime that would warrant it by those advocating it ever thinks, 'you know what, I won't because I may get the death penalty' imo.

I'm staunchly anti death penalty and agree with others who say that a lifetime of imprisonment is more of a punishment. Also agree that rehabilitation, where possible, is preferred.

I acknowledge that I would probably argue against this stance if I had a loved one affected, but I'd hope there would be someone arguing against me, as much as I'd protest. It's not a pleasant thing to fight against those who are affected. (Not sure if that sentence makes sense, forgive me).
  • I don’t think you can really get transactional on people’s lives like this. “This is a burden on the system it’s cheaper if they’re dead”. It’s pretty gross. I mean by that logic you could murder a lot of people.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    One of the prisoners was in for 11 life sentences and a total of 512 years. He'd done some very nasty stuff to people during home invasions. Anyway that chap has been in prisons of one sort or another since age 11. He was now 22. So prison is all hes really known. In those cases, where hes a burden on the system for the rest of his life, maybe death penalty maybe better?!?

Something happened to him to set him off down that path, because that's not normal behaviour nor a normal psyche.  Now imagine that prison system, instead of purely being there to dehumanise, punish, and in the US, commodify him for virtual slave labour, was set up to examine, rehabilitate, understand, train and develop him.  Proper access to psychiatry, to doctors, to education, to therapy of whatever type they needed.

Maybe it wouldn't always work, and people would be there forever.  But there would be plenty of people who otherwise would just sit in prison for the ridiculous length of US sentences then leave again with no opportunities and not many options other than returning to crime.  Those people could come out as functioning members of society.

Of course, the system doesn't have to churn out 500 year sentences in the first place, and plenty of countries seem to have remarkable success with more open and rehabilitative prison regimes.  The last series of the podcast Serial was pretty eye opening about the total stupidity of many in the US justice system.  I can't even get over elected judges.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    State sponsored murder is still murder. The only purpose for a prison should be to protect society from people who pose a threat to it, not as a source of slave labour. If we think about what "human rights" actually mean, what any individual should realistically have the right to, then a prison is already a better option than the outside world, being as you are fed and sheltered
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Not everyone can be rehabilitated though. Life in prison for those types should mean life. If they can't be rehabilitated they should be released.

A louis theroux epsiode was repeated on bbc earlier this week when he visited a prison in San Francisco.
    One of the prisoners was in for 11 life sentences and a total of 512 years. He'd done some very nasty stuff to people during home invasions. Anyway that chap has been in prisons of one sort or another since age 11. He was now 22. So prison is all hes really known.

In those cases, where hes a burden on the system for the rest of his life, maybe death penalty maybe better?!?

I don't think we have the right to take life because it is more convenient.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    What does it say? That anyone can be offended by sins of the past being ignored?

It says many things.

But for one, I'm waiting to see if the people directly involved in destroying the statue will see any prison time at all.

Because, you know, the people who really do respect this cause, will understand me when I say I care more about the inequity encoded (and deeply hidden) in the Occidental Justice system itself, than the destruction of a single statue, and a discussion about rewriting a few plaques.

So it's an amusing side-effect, yes. But it just represents a new plateau of ignorance to me.
    You'd have thought that 1994 would have represented a real full stop.

Not this fucking statue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8408223/amp/Black-Lives-Matter-protesters-tore-Edward-Colston-statue-likely-escape-prosecution.html
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I had a big ol' post ready to reply to that but decided against, since, y'know, sometimes better to listen. But I have to ask: what did you mean when you said you were waiting to see if the people directly involved will see any prison time at all?

It was clear from the outset they wouldn't - legal twitter came in with all sorts of reasons why even if they were caught red-handed, they could essentially be let off completely, and that's what would happen. Are you implying that had the people who tore it down been black, then it would've been a different story?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can't tell people killing is wrong and then kill them. There's no justification for it. If it's wrong then it's wrong for everyone, the state included. Being a burden on the system is just about the worst reason. Let's kill off the long term unemployed too, they're a worse burden on the system.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Are you implying that had the people who tore it down been black, then it would've been a different story?

To be clear, I'd agree with that implication, and I think I understand the broader point you're making: these white activists focusing on statues are a) a bit too keen to congratulate themselves on racism being solved now the statue of the bad man is gone and b) attacking "safe" targets that do little to impact root causes of racism, in fact if anything, cause flare-ups of, ahem, "counter protest" movements (aka massive racists).

I suppose the only answer I'd have for that is just because it's a relatively small gesture, it's still probably worth doing - letting rich people whitewash their nefarious past and getting statues as a reward isn't something to be encouraged and it shows at least some awareness
  • When it comes to punishment, the state should be there as a kind of reasonable actor. It's there to take decisions out of the hands of the people directly affected by crimes who may rightly be motivated by anger and a need for vengeance. And it provides (hopefully) a more dispassionate and consistent response that takes into account the overall needs of society.

The US system is none of these things, of course.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/18/uncle-bens-rice-firm-to-scrap-brand-image-of-black-farmer Uncle Ben's is going... Also, so might be the rugby song, ...swing low..sweet chariot... As its racist apparently (i know nothing about rugby).

Swing Low Sweet Chariot was written by a slave in the 1800s and I have never understood why it has been sung since I found that out, I don't even think it's particularly uncommon knowledge for people familiar with it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can remember when I was a teenager - very much in the flush of youth - and very much in the pro-execution school. My thinking was that it was immoral for the family members of a murder victim to pay for the upkeep of the murderer.

That is still problematic to me but not as much as state killing is.

Prison should be used solely for keeping the public safe. It isn't a very good way of punishing people. Some get to like it. Service to the community coupled with a loss of freedoms is one way. That deals with the issue of paying for upkeep.

I'm not talking pointless hard labour - though maybe that should be part of it - but a life or sentence of servitude nonetheless.

Not sure how that would be done - I'm sure wiser than I have thought about it.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53111295

Racist troll Hopkins suspended from Twitter.

Also lol:

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • http://dailynous.com/2020/06/24/controversy-philosophical-psychology-leads-editors-resignation/

Your latest reminder that "free inquiry" is a term that has been badly tainted by racist a-holes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Every time I go into this thread the phrase "I hear you're a racist now Father" is in my head.

Cannot shake it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a recurring joke in here. Don't you read other people's posts?
  • I hear you're a racist now, Father.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He's Chinese, if you please.
  • Good for you, Father! Good for you! Somebody finally had the guts to stand up and say it! They come over here, after our jobs and our women, fecking Greeks!
  • That guy who paid for the White Lives Matter slogan to be flown over the Burnley stadium has lost his job as has his missus.
  • Interesting...the guy is a cunt, but I wonder what grounds him and his mrs employers used to fire them?

Edit: Ahhh. Looking up the news there's a quote from the engineering company that the guy worked for.
    They told Sky News: "We have concluded our investigation into the conduct of one of our employees in relation to an incident at the Burnley vs Manchester City match, as well as other related matters.

"We have concluded that there has been a breach of the company's various policies and procedures. The individual no longer works for the company."

I can't help but notice the phrase "other related matters", so I'm going to assume that following the guy's details coming to light in the press, his company have run through his work PC/Phone and found he'd been using it to organise this shit on company time, or just using company property in the organising of this shitfest.
  • Sky news says she was sacked because of Twitter posts and he was sacked because of the plane and "other related matters", so probably again social media posts.

I think they can then sack them on bringing the company into disrepute and/or creating a hostile working environment.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    It's a recurring joke in here. Don't you read other people's posts?

Heh.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Interesting...the guy is a cunt, but I wonder what grounds him and his mrs employers used to fire them?

I know his girlfriend got sacked because they had found she had posted racist material on her Facebook feed, and that she'd been offered "racial sensitivity training" but it sounds like they ultimately realised it was pointless and fired her.   Apparently his mother is one of the directors of the company from which she's been fired, which should make for an interesting family gathering in the future.

(Mentioned in this Guardian story.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!