Racist
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    His buddy Mr Sellers was fond of blacking up too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKJuzrCGj4
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Just a thought on it all.

I think the Father Ted Black Face gets a pass because it paints fun at the white priests trying to black face as opposed to being a dig at Black People. I could be wrong on that if you are a black person but thats my take. Much like Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder, the Black Face isn't lampooning the person or culture being imitated, it's mocking the person doing the imitation.

Similarly in another Father Ted episode (the Chinese one) Ted does an impression of a Chinese man with a lantern on his head. This is a little more tricky because he is doing it to make fun of the Chinese BUT he gets shown up for it throughout the show and the actual Chinese in the show are shown to be not at all like the caricatures Ted thinks they are.

But - Father Ted is a serious which really takes the piss out of Catholics and particular the priesthood. None of the priest characters come out of it well and many of the things are both spot on but also mocking. I always found people who complained about this aspect of the show needed to lighten up and I still do, but for arguments sake, can that approach be taken to all mocking comedy. Where does Goodness Gracious Me sit in all this? I always felt it played on stereotypes but some stereotypes seem ok to make fun of and others less so. 

Even looking at that Irish Noughts and Crosses thing ... I'm not offended by it. Yet for a long while the Irish role under England was effectively Slaves and we suffered huge cruelty. I just see it as bad comedy to be honest. And yet, I remember seeing a clip of the American tv series 'All in the family' and being very offended at the racism and bigotry in that show. I cant explain why I was ok with one and not the other. Possibly it's because Milligan's comedy is set in a comedy world, as is Father Ted. Much of Craggy Island is a farce (albeit based on reality) All in the family was jokes (and I use the term loosely) made in a real world setting. Archie Bunker was not the butt of the jokes in the same way Father Ted was.
    SFV - reddave360
  • monkey wrote:
    Cancelling Fawlty Towers is the point where a lot of sympathetic people are going to think this is getting ridiculous now and be less sympathetic for the important thing they’re being asked to agree to next.

It's not cancelled. They've removed a single episode that contains this scene.

As previously mentioned, the BBC have a version without this scene. It shouldn't be hard to UKTV to also delete this scene.
  • I think whoever made the comment about punching-down had it right, stuff like LB was punching down and cruel, whereas the examples in Ted aren't.

Having said that, I speak as a white guy so if a poc had issue with it I'd listen to their perspective.

I think title card at the start to inform of outdated views is the way to go.
  • Cancelling Fawlty Towers is the point where a lot of sympathetic people are going to think this is getting ridiculous now and be less sympathetic for the important thing they’re being asked to agree to next.
    It's not cancelled. They've removed a single episode that contains this scene. As previously mentioned, the BBC have a version without this scene. It shouldn't be hard to UKTV to also delete this scene.
    I was using cancellled in the Twitter sense. The ins and outs of it, and the rights and wrongs, don't really matter. "Fawlty Towers Don't Mention the War episode now deemed too offensive by Lefties to broadcast. PC gone mad." is the story here. The facts are irrelevant.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Just add context to your media. Pretending the racism was never mainstream and on display is just stupid.

I'd personally agree, then I think of the post war German attitude and laws surrounding right wing symbols
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's the phenomenon of outrage by proxy as well.  Not a bad idea if folk get input from the groups that are associated with the material before acting.

There was a Dr Who episode to be filmed here in Belfast that involved swastikas hanging from buildings early one Sunday morning for a few hours. A councillor became outraged and when he tried to kick up the stink the local synagogue told him to wind his neck in.They had been consulted already as far as I remember.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    His buddy Mr Sellers was fond of blacking up too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKJuzrCGj4

Hasn't done Desmond Swayne any harm
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Well thats a problem with the reporting. It's the "N*****s and W**s episode that has been deemed too offensive. The Mail and the Express kicked up a fit when the BBC removed the scene in 2013, but the world continued to spin.
  • Anything that lampoons racism - by allowing it to be expressed in a context that's set up to reflect on and laugh at its horrible weirdness, e.g. that Fawlty scene - seems like a good thing, but maybe I'm too cool.
  • It's companies and corporations removing things to avoid the hassle of controversy and negative PR in the current climate, I haven't seen anyone campaigning for old comedy episodes to be kicked out of circulation. It's a distraction from more serious issues imo - and plays into the Daily Mail/Gammon-y stereotypes of 'the woke left' as joyless thought police engaged in trivial pettiness.
  • ^

FFS @ wot Brooks said.

Larry post also solid
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    It's companies and corporations removing things to avoid the hassle of controversy and negative PR in the current climate, I haven't seen anyone campaigning for old comedy episodes to be kicked out of circulation. It's a distraction from more serious issues imo - and plays into the Daily Mail/Gammon-y stereotypes of 'the woke left' as joyless thought police engaged in trivial pettiness.

Yeah, the guileless arse-covering is all I'm getting outta these instances too. Capitalists gonna capitalism.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well thats a problem with the reporting. It's the "N*****s and W**s episode that has been deemed too offensive. The Mail and the Express kicked up a fit when the BBC removed the scene in 2013, but the world continued to spin.

Dialogue like that is on wild side - even for me who probably errs in comparison to the majority. I can't even remember that line but I wonder did it get a laugh back then and why...was it laughing at the Major or the words themselves?  That's what's at the bottom of this. I doubt it would raise a laugh now no matter which anyhow.

EDIT: just watched it - it isn't as bad as I thought it would be and I can see the humour in the exercise of bigoty-classification. Others may not of course and I can see why - maybe that's the point - seeing why it would offend. Not seeing it exposes the real problem.

But a warning would be appropriate no matter what.
  • Both probably. I always found it uncomfortable in an otherwise great episode.
  • Well thats a problem with the reporting. It's the "N*****s and W**s episode that has been deemed too offensive. The Mail and the Express kicked up a fit when the BBC removed the scene in 2013, but the world continued to spin.

It’s the reporting, the sharing of only headlines, no one reading the articles they’re getting furious about. The whole chain.

It’s also the white boys sitting on racist content for years and only going “Oh shit let’s not be racist because it’s not a great look right now”.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Both probably. I always found it uncomfortable in an otherwise great episode.

It does put one's teeth on edge.  Feels like skating on thin ice just watching it. Maybe that's what gives pleasure to some...
  • I mean, the lol is the consequence of setting up an excruciatingly uncomfortable situation where all one can do is lol. There are entire schools of comedy that do cringe in this way, still.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yup.

Is Office-esque.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I wonder if we could take back the word "Paki" at some point, probably just because it's closer to me, but seeing Jim Davidson on YouTube last week using it and attempting to justify it's use made me a very very angry man
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jim Davidson is an unfunny cunt though.

His whole schtick was based on racial stereotypes.
  • They already edit it out of OFAH I think.

@cocko
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jim Davidson cut his teeth on the Working Mens' Clubs of the 70's and he never moved on.
  • monkey wrote:
    It’s also the white boys sitting on racist content for years and only going “Oh shit let’s not be racist because it’s not a great look right now”.

Exactly, which goes back to this
    I think its more likely that broadcasters know they have offensive material, but until now it's been in their financial interests not to do anything about it, but they're now judging they're better off doing something.
  • There’s a few categories here I think. Little Britain was deliberately bad taste and that was the joke so that can probably get in the bin. David Brent’s casual racism the joke is on him and it’s pretty clear it is. I remember the Alf Garnet actor saying he used to get twats coming up to him and congratulating him for sticking it to the foreigners or whatever so maybe that’s not clear enough, and might not be now. Fuck knows how to categorise Papa Lazarou. They all need handling differently.
  • I landed on "only an actual fucking monster would wear blackface"? As TV psychos goes, one of the greats.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    They already edit it out of OFAH I think. @cocko

It was in on the Netflix ones, I rewatched them a couple of months back. We also had 'Irish tumbledrier' (cement mixer), referring to Brixton as Rorke's Drift, 'Spic drinking club', calling a random black guy 'Mandingo', 'poofs' and saying that 'he'd think battersea dogs home was a takeaway' of an Korean guy.
  • Papa Lazarou dons white makeup to be in disguise in later episodes, god knows what he's meant to be.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The niggers and wogs joke is clearly a joke at the expense of the major and his lack of social awareness. I don't have a problem with it. Doubtless at the time, some people would have thought it's funny because it's true. That's not really the case anymore. Nobody gives a shit that the Irish are unironically presented as useless thickos. And how many thousands of British holiday makers have hilariously shouted Oi Manuel at a waiter in Spain. I'd say a huge amount of negative stereotyping of the Spanish can be traced back to Manuel.
  • My experience of the Spanish is that Manuel was one of the better workers.

*I kid
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!