Westworld - Full Of Spoilers
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    That jarring use of Common People as she turns the table on her captors! I could go on and on!

Yeah, I liked that people in their future were shown to be enjoying ‘old’ music and ‘classic’ cars. The super-rich guy jumping into a 2014 Porsche, his goons driving hybrid Land Rovers, etc.

It’s something that often gets forgotten in sci-fi production designers’ fetish for inventing all the new things.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Thought the opener was terrific, hopefully the park stuff can be less annoying than previous seasons.
    Spoiler:
    Things can only get better.
  • Here’s a radical idea. What if … they keep the whole thing in normal, chronological, order and don’t fuck around? It’d be quite the thing, now that other shows *cough* Witcher *cough* are ripping off the deliberate chronology-confusion gimmick.
  • The tricksy-ness of the structure is a major problem now imo. You can get away with doing that once with Season 1, but Season 2 ramped that shit up to ridiculous levels, and while I still enjoyed it to to some extent, by the time they got to the Season 2 finale, I didn't have a fucking clue what was going on.
    This makes it very difficult to get properly invested in the show, because you now naturally assume that whether it's the case or not, everything you're watching could all be complete bollocks, and that any two shots might in reality be separated by fucking decades, or be all in someone's head, or some sort of mad computer simulation.
    It's the major reason that their ratings tanked during Season 2, and there's no reason not to suspect that they'll be doing it again in Season 3.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • My guess is the ‘are we living in a simulation?’ chat from the drunken tech-bro in this first episode was a clue as to what’s coming. Hopefully less jumping back-and-forth through time, but I’m now expecting plenty of ‘what’s real and what isn’t?’ shenanigans. Especially with the introduction of an all-seeing stochastic AI that runs the world by predicting possible futures.
  • Yeah, the simulation chat got my spider-sense tingling. And not in as good way.
  • I was surprised about how much I enjoyed that, I'd really written off the series and only gave it another shot because of current affairs. There is a nagging feeling that it's a load of absolute nonsense that's wasting a great cast, but it was shiny fun.
  • Yeah, it's just nice to have some well made big budget tosh to watch in these grim times.
  • And it really does seem to have a big, huge, enormous budget.
  • Do you know what else is big, huge and enormous?
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Do you know what else is big, huge and enormous?
    Spoiler:

I was so close to making that joke myself. Thanks for taking the hit.
  • Well I throughly enjoyed that. Top level sci-fi vengeance nonsense, exactly what I want. Some good massive attack tunage in there too.

Have they always done post-credit scenes in this? I usually turn off as soon as they roll.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • poprock wrote:
    Blocks100 wrote:
    That jarring use of Common People as she turns the table on her captors! I could go on and on!

Yeah, I liked that people in their future were shown to be enjoying ‘old’ music and ‘classic’ cars. The super-rich guy jumping into a 2014 Porsche, his goons driving hybrid Land Rovers, etc.

It’s something that often gets forgotten in sci-fi production designers’ fetish for inventing all the new things.

They remembered it in i, robot...unfortunately.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Have they always done post-credit scenes in this? I usually turn off as soon as they roll.

Can’t recall, but I only realized I’d missed something when I read this thread.

Things can only get better.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just watched it. Don’t recall that much from season 2 but remember some of the major points. Didn’t see the post credits or Nazi world. It’s very much style of substance at the moment, but at least they gave time to develop Aaron Paul’s character, unlike the shite in Picard. I was wondering when the characters would converge and it was done well. I agree with G I hope they don’t do the time or simulation stuff. The problem with the former is that it confuses the fuck out of you. The latter is that you have little investment in the plot as there is little sense of danger as it could all be fake and Jessie wakes up in the shower and it was all a dream.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh and the music. The music is definitely one of the best things about this show.
  • They remembered it in i, robot...unfortunately.

Apart from the fight in the Audi factory I’ve managed to erase that film two-hour product placement festival from my memory. Thankfully.
  • poprock wrote:
    They remembered it in i, robot...unfortunately.

Apart from the fight in the Audi factory I’ve managed to erase that film two-hour product placement festival from my memory. Thankfully.

Weirdly I had forgotten the Audi factory, but remember clearly other parts such as Will Smith slowly putting on his CONVERSE and then leaving in his CONVERSE before a random stranger stops him in the street to compliment his CONVERSE shoes and Will Smith says “Thank you, yeah they’re great, they’re CONVERSE”.
  • There was that bit where, in the middle of a big action sequence, Will Smith jumped over something and landed with his CONVERSE perfectly filling the screen like a piece of pack photography and held that shot for a moment too long, making it really obvious and awkward.
  • I don’t think any product placement has ever been quite as bad as Airwaves in Splinter Cell
  • Oddly i thought the score was epic, properly thumping. Watched via my xbox with decent Sony monitor headphones( comfy as fuck padding/ decent noise insulation) as mrs and baby were both asleep.
    PSN - minkymu
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, I also thought the Cons in I, Robot were pretty extreme but Nike have never really been known for their subtlety. That said I thought the J1s in Spiderverse were pretty cool in that you'd expect him to wear those shoes, and a classic colourway that was on a very wide general release that year
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    as charged
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I have no faith that this programme can keep it together but that was a solid first episode.
  • poprock wrote:
    The gorgeous future dystopia world is designed largely by B.I.G. if anyone’s interested. Probably the hottest architecture practice in the world right now.

Architectural Digest have done a brief bit on it:
    https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/westworld-season-3-set-design-interveiw
  • God, we're back to the plate spinning and characters not being who they seem.
  • Spoiler:
  • And not a single shot of DOLORES’S FINE ASS.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!