Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hey
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Not a single Westworld employ did a Google image search for this legendary Arnold bloke.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I enjoyed that. The majority of the series was atmospheric nonsense, and the final two episodes brought it all together quite neatly. I worried that the wrap-up would be unsatisfying, but it actually worked. Well played, Mr Nolan and pals.

Some of it felt a bit patronising (have you understood this important point about the nature of consciousness yet? I’ll repeat it just in case. And again. And hey, here it is AGAIN for thickos) but I can live with that.

Lovely performances from Harris, Wright, Hopkins and the snake girl.

Some nice loose ends dangled for season two. SURPRISE! There are multiple parks. TEASER! One of them is Samuraiworld. MYSTERY! Thandie Newton is looking for park one … bets on that not being Westworld? TENSION! Is William gonna die? He was only winged by that first shot …

Sadly, I reckon we’ll see more of the same in season two, rather than a dramatic expansion in scale. HBO paid for all those wild west park sets to be built. They’re still standing. They’ll be using them again.
  • The big twist is that park one is just the regular world.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    The big twist is that park one is just the regular world.

And she fucked it by not staying on the train. D’OH.
  • What were those Samurai costumes that Maeve passes on the way out?  Is there to be a Samuraiworld next season?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Eastworld.
  • Nipworld
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Nipworld

That's where Reg's avatar was shot
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Before they were robots.

• Nolan and Wood were mega-pleased with their postproduction effects that sped up or slowed down facial tics, blinking, etc. Supposed to be subtle cues that reveal/reinforce that the hosts are not human. They spent a fortune on it and, directorially, obsessed over the use of the effect (to the point where the FX teams hated them for it).

I reckon it was a total waste of time. Barely noticed it and when I did it felt forced. Added nothing.

Except when really overemphasised, when a host went off the rails and glitched. Then it worked.
  • The full soundtrack's out now, currently listening to piano Black Hole Sun.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That was the highlight of the whole season, dare I say series, ep101, scene 1 IIRC

Think ep102 was a Rolling Stones number
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • What were the Radiohead numbers they used? No Surprises?
  • Fake Plastic Trees & Exit Music for a film

Paint it Black by the Stones in there too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fake Plastic Trees is in there too. Had a listen today while working. Good background music.

Edit - yes I totally didn't read Monkey's post
  • Also Motion Picture Soundtrack
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • They shoulda done Spinning Plates too
  • I've just finished watching this and reading some of the thread. Seems I agree with most of it ie good start, good end, load of shite in between. 6 hours would have done, comfortably.

The dual timeline thing was unnecessary and wasted hours over a character transformation that wasn't convincing (and also isn't believable as the actors look too different and the age gap is too big). Could easily have done that whole story in a few flashbacks if not trying for a 'twist'.

Thandie's story also made no sense. The reason for those lab guys to keep helping her was far too slight for one.

And generally a lot of the interesting themes hinted at in the early stages just weren't developed well or were hammered in far too hard. Perhaps there's a meta thing going on - we convince ourselves we're there for something meaningful, but really all we want is the drama, violence and sex - but I think it just missed a trick there.

Still, the final 20 minutes delivered a good resolution, and the whole thing about the maze leading them to self-consciousness, and self-consciousness immediately/necessarily leading to violence was well done. It could easily just stop there - no need for a second season.
  • poprock wrote:
    Some of it felt a bit patronising (have you understood this important point about the nature of consciousness yet? I’ll repeat it just in case. And again. And hey, here it is AGAIN for thickos)

How very Nolan.
    The Forum Herald™
  • SO THEN. Season two. Just watched episode three last night.

Lovely to start seeing the different parks and to see them start overspilling into each other. The tiger felt like a proper ‘oh shit’ moment.

And I was wrong about the glitching Bernard. I thought he had a different host’s ‘brain core’ in his head. Turns out he’s still himself, but his memory has been overfilled with a copy of Delos’s dump of the whole park(s) user data.

Anyone else starting to think that the inevitable result of self-awareness amongst the hosts is going to be war between host factions? Dolores and Maeve as leaders of the rival factions, by the end of s3?
  • poprock wrote:
    Turns out he’s still himself, but his memory has been overfilled with a copy of Delos’s dump of the whole park(s) user data.
    I didn't really pick up on that. Did he transfer the files from Abernathy to his own brain box then?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah, I thought he'd copied the data.

Didn't like it much this week myself. The faction thing is a bit vague. Are the Confederates still playing their roles and if they are, why?

How are the guns working again?

Really didn't like that big action scene, all that money and it's like a bad A-Team episode. Could anyone shoot.

The Indian stuff was a nice diversion, but that's a weird holiday. It's not exactly the stuff of pulp adventure.
  • g.man wrote:
    Did he transfer the files from Abernathy to his own brain box then?

I’m pretty sure he did. He gained access – it said ‘one time use’ when he did. Next time we saw him, he’d started glitching, badly. And he hardly talks/responds. I think the data has pushed his own ‘self’ past safe limits. He’s out of scratch disk space.

My only question is whether he copied the data from Abernathy, or moved it. Is what Delos wants still in Abernathy’s head or not?
  • I_R wrote:
    The Indian stuff was a nice diversion, but that's a weird holiday. It's not exactly the stuff of pulp adventure.

Never underestimate Americans’ desire to go big game hunting. Or to enjoy a bit of casual slave/servant owning.
  • It's probably a cost issue for the show, but pirates seems more like the sexy adventure that rich pervs would want.
  • To be fair, we don’t know how many parks there are. They could be scraping the barrel for settings by park 28, y’know?
  • ScotLand
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They’d never get the hosts to understand the accent.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I loved the first season, but it’s not doing it for me so far this time round. Lots of wandering around, shootouts and cryptic hints. As it’s a show from the makers of Lost I get the dreaded feeling they’ve no clear path on where it’s ultimately headed.
    Things can only get better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!