PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    It's buying parts rather than tuning. It is incredibly forgiving to people slamming off barriers, which can actually be a bit annoying if you're driving cleanly. It's more of a an arcade experience than a hardcore sim anyway.
    More often online it favours the shunters more, if you brake for a bend you will get hit. The person that doesn't brake and goes flying past you inevitably stays in front. They really need to penalise people that hit barriers or leave the designated track with massive loss of speed or momentum as to have those people still remain ahead is clearly unfair.
  • @Plan M - There's an auto-upgrade parts option but you cannot tweak and tune like in F4. However, I have noticed that with the auto-upgrade, it sometimes does miss some parts so it's always worth reviewing the upgrades after applying. You will sometimes get a 'cannot optimise for the chosen class' message, but this is less than truthful. If you apply what it suggests and then go to custom upgrades, you can usually optimise it closer to the limit by shaving weight off with alloys, gearing, etc. The auto option seems to prioritise tyre compound and width, engine performance and weight reduction over some of the more intricate stuff.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Cheers folks.

Yeah I hate the racing line too Moto, never use it.
  • Webbins wrote:
    @Plan M - There's an auto-upgrade parts option but you cannot tweak and tune like in F4. However, I have noticed that with the auto-upgrade, it sometimes does miss some parts so it's always worth reviewing the upgrades after applying. You will sometimes get a 'cannot optimise for the chosen class' message, but this is less than truthful. If you apply what it suggests and then go to custom upgrades, you can usually optimise it closer to the limit by shaving weight off with alloys, gearing, etc. The auto option seems to prioritise tyre compound and width, engine performance and weight reduction over some of the more intricate stuff.

Excellent stuff, thanks - this is just what I was after.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    Cheers folks. Yeah I hate the racing line too Moto, never use it.
    My mates use it and the minute it's turned off they crash which shows that they aren't learning the tracks at all. It really pisses me off that I fuck up a point-to-point race because I misjudged a turn and take the wrong route whereas some shunting prick of a driver has a massive neon line to follow. Where is the challenge?

I set-up a lobby that was A class only and locked to cockpit view with no line, abs, or traction. It stayed full all day so there are people out there that want to race...
  • Agreed.  It just spoils the realism for me having a line telling me what to do - I may as well just sit there and let the computer drive the thing for me.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    (I wish the racing line had never made it's way into games, I hate it almost as much as rewind). Pure Skill removes all the choices from you with all drivers being in the same vehicle etc...

I don't mind it being in, although it's the first thing I turn off, detracts from the experience for me. However, it should be accounted for on leaderboards as is ABS, TCS, Auto, etc as it is still an aid.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • What aids do you guys race with?
  • Nowt, did start with ABS but turned it off after a couple of races.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I race with none, everything off with a manual gearbox in cockpit view. I love it!
  • Oh, put steering onto sim as well. This all boosts credits earned so it's not all willy waving.

Edit - not gone as far as clutch+manual, the preserve of wheel users I think.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Nowt, did start with ABS but turned it off after a couple of races.
    When my mate raced in my ABS off lobby was funny, when we started racing he asked if I'd fucked about with the steering. I said no why? He said that on the bends he was just going straight on and the car wouldn't turn? I asked if he was braking and there was a lot of tyre noise when he was trying to turn but his car was going straight? He said yes. I explained that he was locked up and needed to not stand on the brakes at every turn.
    Webbins wrote:
    Oh, put steering onto sim as well. This all boosts credits earned so it's not all willy waving. Edit - not gone as far as clutch+manual, the preserve of wheel users I think.
    It's easy enough on the joypad, I assigned my clutch to A with up on B and down on X, it means I can hit the clutch and gear change at the same time. It does save a bit of time on the shifting...
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    ...shunting prick of a driver...

If someone has an unusually high incidence of car to car collisions per race then perhaps they should have a SPOAD tag attatched to their name.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    haha!
  • I race with a lot of assists on.  Just I use manual gears.  I would be a bit poop with them off at the moment I think.  I find it hard enough getting the R2+1's around the windy courses.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • I like a breaking line - learning the tracks in the detail needed to pick your own breaking point is just not fun for me. The Forza lines are only ever a guide anyway, some corners need a bit earlier breaking if you're in a flighty car for example, while others can either be breaked at later or not at all in some instances.
  • Especially on Horizon Carbon... Sometimes it gives you a panic inducing red bunch of arrows when really you still need to be throttle down across an interection.   I think that's the nature of it being open world though.
  • Precisely, does that not detract from the experience and become more of a distraction? Too often I find you become obsessed with what's five foot in front of you rather than what's further ahead.
  • To an extent it can do, but I find I fall into a mystical zen state on driving games where things just happen and you glide past or around them without really thinking about it.  It's all optional and you're rewarded of you don't use it, so I see it as no problem.
  • I am going to play with ABS on, no racing line, auto gears because I am a n00b and a bit shit at racers.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Precisely, does that not detract from the experience and become more of a distraction? Too often I find you become obsessed with what's five foot in front of you rather than what's further ahead.
    One of my personal highlights in gaming, bearing in mind I use cockpit view, is when you are working your way along your route climbing uphill and then you clear the crst and there is a road as far as you can see and you can see every bend along its path. It is fucking joyous...
  • Yeah I love cockpit view, always use it.
  • Just drivin' round, takin' photos.  I've got plenty of games I should be getting on with but I'd much rather pick a car from my Horizon garage and just drive.  And take photos.
  • Driving around this evening, couple of wrist band races, one show something or other, and a few rivals challenges. Excellent fun and I then caved in and bought the rally dlc. I said I'd wait until a price reduction, but I'm having so much fun I just want to play the rally stages too. Way to stick it to the man chap (or something).
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yeah a few of us here stuck it to 'em!

I wish I'd bought season pass...
  • I am not sure whether to just bite the bullet and spend £32 on the Pass... or just see how the Rally one is as a stand-alone :P
  • I'm assuming that the Rally one will be the only proper expansion, everything else will just be car packs. This sold terribly in the states and only did OK here, they'll have moved on to a nextbox game. I hope so anyway.
  • Do I have to unlock/buy cars in single player for online multiplayer or will they all be available from the off?
  • I think you can use car club garage cars online, not tried it m'self though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!