Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    two words I've not heard in a long time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I've heard them, but not necessarily always in that order.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Best page start in quite a while. Well done you three.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    All my work lost, like posts in a page turn.
  • I read it Goobs, don't worry.
  • Aye, damn fine post it was too.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There can’t be too many managers who have had their team beat 9 zip in a game and then get a 4 year contract extension.

Well it’s happened at Southampton!
  • I mean it was 8 months ago that happened.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    or four matches
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well it feels like footies been gone that long anyway. Not that I think it should be back yet, yo can want something knowing it's bad, like most of my crushes
  • There can’t be too many managers who have had their team beat 9 zip in a game and then get a 4 year contract extension.

Well it’s happened at Southampton!

Chuffed with that. Ralph is crazy popular here.
  • Yeah I think apart from the period readjusting from when he lost his assistant he’s been really good
  • Ronaldo shocked juventus medical staff by coming back fitter now than when he was when the season was halted in march. Apparently he has been doing 2-3 hours sessions daily in lockdown. Thats some mindset. Legend
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hate him the blowhard cunt
  • cockbeard wrote:
    hate him the blowhard cunt

Why? Please do elaborate..
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I can absolutely respect him as an athlete, but his playing has never brought me any joy. Not in the same way that watching Messi, Ronaldinho, or Pugh does. I can't even blame the "wink", I want to blame the wink, but I can't because I love Diego, he's the greatest there's ever been, and he was just as much of a cheating bastard
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    There's just a joyless roboticism(?) about him, I never saw Pele play properly, but plenty of highlights, yet whenever there was a discussion over the greatest ever Pele or Diego, it was always Diego, so yeah I suppose CR7 is just a shit Pele, hahahahah, my brain, I'm such a moron
  • Maradona is one of my favourite players ever. For me the greatest ever. Ronaldinho was a joy to watch, just a party box of trick and flicks. Zidane was like a ballet dancer on the pitch, so graceful with a touch that could control a feather. Brazilian ronaldo (barca/inter) was unstoppable at full flight.

Ronaldo (portugese) is just ruthlessly efficient player. He has pushed himself to greatness. His mindset and willpower are stuff of legend. Yeh hes not the enjoyable player he was to watch like he was at utd. But hes adaped his game. Like you said you can respect him as an athlete.

I think for people of a certain era, diego will remain the greatest. But then thats the same for people of different eras i.e. stanley matthews, di stefino, pukas, cryuff beckenbauer etc.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's the thing, you can probably break football generations into maybe 8-10 year brackets, and there's so many within each of those that were the greatest. Admittedly the last 15-20 years the athleticism has become such and progression such that it changes more often, so the feat of Messi and (the shit) Ronaldo staying at the top is ever more impressive, impressive isn't always entertaining
  • I dont disagree with you. Atheltism is a problem in football now. Barcelona have internal disagreements now about what type of player to bring through at youth level. Do you go for the small, slight build but technically skillful player. What happens if he doesnt make the breakthrough. Where is the market for such a player?

Or do you bring through what football wants now, more athletic players and if they dont breakthrough at Barcelona then there is a market for that player elsewhere?

Whens the last time a "street" player came through the ranks and made it to the top? They are seen as off the cuff, lazy (not tracking back, doing the hard yards etc) luxury players. They seem to be disappearing. Those maverick players, i like to watch but are few and far between.

Ricardo Quaresma. Portugese. Almost same age as Ronaldo. A maverick player, deffo off the cuff type. Ridiculously talented. But where has his career gone? Whereas ronaldo, not as naturally talented but has pushed himself as fits modern football i.e. athletic football.
  • Diego Maradona is the greatest, there is no contest.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • His autobiography El Diego is amazing btw.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, yes it is, and no I'm won;t disagree with you. There's a reason I own a own a 1982 Boca juniors shirt with 10 on the back
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Whens the last time a "street" player came through the ranks and made it to the top? They are seen as off the cuff, lazy (not tracking back, doing the hard yards etc) luxury players

There was a shift toward three in midfield to allow one to play, a central winger as it were. Your Gascoignes, Baggios, and Cantonas. It's difficult to do, as a winger you know the touchline is one side so yo uonly need to be aware of one side, as a midfielder suddenly you need literally twice as much brain power. Then teams with out these super talented aware wingers were few and far between so lesser teams packed that space with extra midfielder to drown them out

You'd have though that the obvious respose would be to play your wingers again, but there's such a dearth of big ball attacking strikers these days (Ferguson, Sutton, Kermorgant) especially when they have to be able to play as well, which all of those three could, that proper wing play became less popular
  • Cocko, you should read or listen to The Mixer: story of premier league tactics by Michael Cox. That is a really good read and explains how certain types of players have disappeared from the game (at top flight) due to changes in tactics.
  • I can't even begin to fathom watching Ronaldo being joyless. I know he played for my team, but even at Real and Juve, or for Portugal I find him thrilling.

I mean look at this

• I can. Ronaldo is mechanical, he has learned and acquired these skills is the impression I have. There is no instinctiveness, relatively speaking, to his skill. No natural flair, no creativity (and note every single one of the Gods we mention ITT can always "see" an incredible pass, or better yet, can make that pass or dribble without even touching the ball).

Ronaldo is the embodiment of modern football - physical, industrious and almost cynical acquisition of skills and flair. He is an amazing footballer but he will never be a God like Maradona, Pelé, Messi; he won't even be a genius like Zidane, Baggio, or Tommy Huddlestone
  • Yeah, i dislike the guy and i find his rapid increase in frame size, fitness and strength alongside footballs laughable drug testing a bit bothersome but he's fucking thrilling to watch, just usually for teams i despise.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!