Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Gza6kx9.gif
    Yaaaasssssss

He's obviously class. But Zidane is the GOAT and that's that.
  • Maradonas probably the greatest but Zidane’s Euro 2000 performances are the best I’ve ever seen a footballer play.
  • To me Ronaldo’s ability to remain this good for this long puts him on a completely another level. He even sought to change things when they were going well for him two or three times and was successful each time.

I’d take a Ronaldo over a mercurial in my team any day.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Dante's avatar is God
  • I'm Best's son then? Fuck.
  • To me Ronaldo’s ability to remain this good for this long puts him on a completely another level. He even sought to change things when they were going well for him two or three times and was successful each time.

I’d take a Ronaldo over a mercurial in my team any day.

That makes my point.

This is about understanding what an all time great football is really about.

Here's a clue
    Spoiler:

That said
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • monkey wrote:
    Maradonas probably the greatest but Zidane’s Euro 2000 performances is the best I’ve ever seen a footballer play.

That was something else. He was on a planet of his own in that tournament. One of the greatest international teams of all time in that era.

I'd say zidane 2000 was on par with Maradona 86. Obviously WC is a more prestigious tournament but i was very young durin 86 and my memories are some what fuzzy and i couldnt fully appreciate what i was seeing.
  • I think a great footballer can be exemplified in a huge number of ways - in Ronaldos case it’s his determination and desire as well. He’s obviously skilled but I think it’s a good model to follow to show you do need to work your ass off.

But I think others as well - Henry rarely gets put into the same bracket as Pele, Zidane etc. Also - I think- in the future Kante should be considered up there but obviously his skill isn’t in impeccable ball control or being a wizard of creativity.
  • I think a great footballer can be exemplified in a huge number of ways - in Ronaldos case it’s his determination and desire as well. He’s obviously skilled but I think it’s a good model to follow to show you do need to work your ass off.

But I think others as well - Henry rarely gets put into the same bracket as Pele, Zidane etc. Also - I think- in the future Kante should be considered up there but obviously his skill isn’t in impeccable ball control or being a wizard of creativity.

The likes of pele, zidane etc dominated and international tournament or two. Did Henry ever do that? Was he ever as good in a france shirt as an arsenal shirt? Im asking i dont know myself.

Kante, Makalele, defensive players are a different catergory all together. Because they dont create, tease and excite they are viewed differently. Not fair i know but it is what it is.

Re: ronaldo and messi longevity. They have raised the bar by being consistent for so long. Though i still think Ronaldinho at his peak and Ronaldo (brasil) at Barcelona and Inter were better players at their peak.
  • Transfer Window podcast saying that Timo Werner to liverpool is agreed in principle. Fee is sticking point. Leipzig want €60mil and liverpool are offering much less. Chelsea want the player but werner only wants liverpool. Question who will he replace eventually in the front three come the start of the 2021 season? He aint signing to be a bench player.
  • Well for me, the Case For Zizou starts and ends with three very specific reasons:

The most beautiful goal of all time:
    HLEYzp9.gif

The most beautiful single touch of a football ever seen:
    2UUNUUr.gif

The single best 90min performance I've ever seen:

In the twilight of his career, world cup semi final against prime Brazil, and he's fucking buzzing off it. GOAT.

• Vs Spain too, in the quarters. He demoralised them all - a team of future record breakers, demoralised by the maestro.
  • Actually, ingot confused - the QF was Brazil, and that was the game where he demoralised everyone - brazil. Spain was the round before, he played well and got a goal and an assist but it wasn't quite as masterful
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Obviously need to know how Gav will stop 10 in a row.

• I'm out here tryna celebrate the GOAT and Reg wants to get the toys out.

*Tony Montana voice* OKAY

However it happens it'll be won on the park, not via email and with an embarrassing PR campaign having our captain and manager saying we "deserve" it when there's hundreds of people dying daily in the middle of a pandemic, and literally no other club in a league-leading position in the world is saying the same.

Something like that, aye. But hey, yous do yous. Club Like No Other, eh?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    *inhales*

Yes
  • Where do you guys rate the likes of riquleme, hagi, aimar, m.laudrup, pirlo etc?
  • Riquelme - in my goat list
    Hagi - his son is better ;)
    Aimar - good, not great
    M. Laudrup - are you fucking mad? Brian is GOD.
    Pirlo - safely in my top 5
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's the next level I'd probably stick Gazza amongst that lot was well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm all in for the crazy. Gimme that sports entertainment. I'll take Gazza, Zidane or Maradona over Ronaldo or Messi.
  • Other than Maradona, Pelé, Messi and Zidane (in that order), in my opinion the only ones I'd add to the list are: (again, inorder)

Johann Cruyff
    Alfredo Di Stefano (invented n.10s)
    Ronaldinho
    Roberto Baggio
    Enzo Francescoli (invented Zidane)
    Fat Ronaldo (exception as an out and out striker, but he is the best of them)
    Eusebio
    Salah Assad (master /popularises the elastico)
    Carlos Valderama
    JM Platini
    Lakhdar Belloumi (credited as the best African footballer of all time by many, but not as impressive as Assad in footage. Invented/popularises the blind pass)
    Giorg Hagi
    Hristo stoichkov
    Kari Litmanen
    Glenn Hoddle
    Enzo Scifo
    Tommy Huddlestone

My uncle always said Hacene Lalmas should be up there as he was Zidane before his time, bald at 23 as well, and that Pelé sais he was the best player he ever played against. But there is avant footage and I don't want to be accused of favouritism.

• Fucking autocorrect
  • Couple of african players i need to look up on youtube there gonz
  • There's some belloumi, stuff out there (a lot of it with Assad, them two destroyed Germany in 82), less for Assad.

https://youtu.be/ppUVTCB7cnw

But they never left Algeria for a European club (though Belloumi almost did go to Juventus) do there isn't a lot on YouTube, unlike their teammate madjer who won the Europe cup with Porto (with a backheel winner no less)

I did see a documentary in English language about WC 82 and it seems others also thought Assad was the best player in the 82 team. Belloumi was very flashy and a n.10 so I can see why he is remembered and not Assad.

Edit- puerile editing, but this is a good Assad vid. These aren't tomato can teams he's doing that against, Brazil, Germany. https://youtu.be/6qVp3FZGlKk
  • Matt Holland has got to be in the conversation.
  • Cheers gonz, will watch later. Got them saved in my youtube video list
  • I thought liverpool decided not to pay the bucks.
  • I thought liverpool decided not to pay the bucks.

Looks like it. Think werner screwed them over. If he was insisting on liverpool and nowhere else, then liverpool wouldnt have to pay the release clause as they could in theory get the price lowered as Leipzig would have no choice but to negotiate with liverpool.

On a side note spurs just borrowed £175mil from bank of england. Apparently wont be used as transfer fund at all.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!