Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Knight wrote:
    Ooh, that's a handy point for Burnley.

Liverpool can now only equal the points record, but can still get most wins.

? We can get 9 more points and we’re on 93.

Ah, maths fail.
  • He’s managed to make Iheanacho a person Leicester fans want to see play rather than a desperation joke and he seems to be starting to work something with Grey as well. We’ll see.
  • I know a lot of chat today about manager of the year for Chris Wilder - and I think he’s done a great job- but I think Nuno Espírito Santo has done a better job this year for a few reasons:

1) this is not his first season at wolves and not their first year in the premier league. This is normal for them so to be top again 7 is huge. (The motivation has to be dragged from somewhere other than genuine excitement)

2) this season they started in probably July last year to be in the uefa cup - they’re still in the uefa cup and challenging. They’re basically performing exactly as Man U but without the launch £60m of money in January (50 for Fernandes 10 or whatever for ighalo).

3) the historical context of the uefa cup for premier league teams - the team that newly enters it flirts with relegation. Obviously nearly challenging for the champions league (they still might do it with one of two routes).

So I think he’s done the best job.

Big credits to these managers too
    1) Bruce
    2) lampard
    3) Pearson
    4) hasenhutl (post 9-0)
    5) Moyes

Biggest negative credit
    1) Farke.

He talks even today about how it’s even a miracle they exist almost as if it’s a victory that they got last place. The guy has a loser mentality wrapped with probably some good coaching skills but really he moans too much and hasn’t taken the chance in front of him.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bruce is getting a lot of credit these days. I can only assume it's all coming from people that take a cursory glance at the league table and don't watch our games every week.

We were getting stuffed off Man City last week (no surprise there to be fair) and we were lucky to be two nowt down before the drinks break. The camera happened to focus on Bruce during most of the break, I was glad because this gives us a rare opportunity to watch a manager operate during the vital time where he earns his money. Recognise what's going wrong, come up with a strategy to change things, get it across to the players and get them to focus, pick themselves up and go again. All I saw Bruce doing was stand there looking bewildered. He stuck his tongue out a couple of times. Never said a word to a player. What a waste of the new opportunity to access your players mid game.

To make matters worse, fucking Pep was going like the clappers. Even though his side was thoroughly dominating and two goals to the good, he saw things he didn't like and was able to get this across to his team, keep them alert and motivated. The laughably poor commentators (McManaman was one) were still in the bizarre "heap praise on the piss poor English manager old pals act" routine and said look at Bruce, he's been there, done it, seen it all before, he won't panic just because the side are getting a pasting. Where as anyone else could see he was doing exactly that, pure rabbit in the headlights stuff.

Now I'm not basing everything on this one moment in a game against a far superior side, it's just a handy situation that encapsulates Newcastle under Bruce for me. Appalling football, undeserved results papering over the cracks and the press heaping undue praise on a manager clearly way out of his depth. I think the only game we've played well in this season was against Bournemouth a couple of weeks ago, but they've looked doomed since the restart.

TL;DR
    Fuck Steve Bruce and the old pals act media that worship him.
  • Did you expect him to do better with these players?

My assumption was Newcastle were for the abject Norwich position this year - especially after losing a big goal threat in Perez. The fact he’s ended up so comfortably outside of any relegation problems suggests he’s doing more than being flukey.
  • Bruce is getting a lot of credit these days. I can only assume it's all coming from people that take a cursory glance at the league table and don't watch our games every week.

Ah, the Puel effect.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Did you expect him to do better with these players?

My assumption was Newcastle were for the abject Norwich position this year - especially after losing a big goal threat in Perez. The fact he’s ended up so comfortably outside of any relegation problems suggests he’s doing more than being flukey.

No, I expected us to get relegated, and from what I've seen in terms of football over the season and backed up by the stats, especially the attacking ones, that's where we should be. Our position in the table is as much of a mystery to me as it is to Bruce.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Double post fuckery.
  • Bruce is getting a lot of credit these days. I can only assume it's all coming from people that take a cursory glance at the league table and don't watch our games every week.

Ah, the Puel effect.

I have mixed feelings on Puel. On the one hand his football was bad but on the other hand he brought in two of our best players and transitioned is away from both the style and personnel of the championship winning season (which has long been found out). I think I’ll look back on him fondly because it was really an impossible job that was never going to end well.
  • Looking at the Chelsea goals everything look weirdly soft. As if someone would do a thing but they did the worst version of that thing. So kepa makes a low save but only places it on the six yard box for the striker (in the preamble the Chelsea players were robbed off the ball about 3 times), the Chelsea centre back gets his foot in but just plops it for the striker to poke in.
  • Saw a Kepa season stats pic on whatsapp the other day. Probably picked to highlight the worst of it but they seemed remarkably bad. Is he crap or is the defence mostly to blame?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Saw a Kepa season stats pic on whatsapp the other day. Probably picked to highlight the worst of it but they seemed remarkably bad. Is he crap or is the defence mostly to blame?

Hes not great but chelsea are stuck with him. Stupidly high wages and a world record transfer fee for a keeper. However a decent CB pairing in front of him would help.

• I know a lot of chat today about manager of the year for Chris Wilder - and I think he’s done a great job- but I think Nuno Espírito Santo has done a better job this year for a few reasons:

1) this is not his first season at wolves and not their first year in the premier league. This is normal for them so to be top again 7 is huge. (The motivation has to be dragged from somewhere other than genuine excitement)

2) this season they started in probably July last year to be in the uefa cup - they’re still in the uefa cup and challenging. They’re basically performing exactly as Man U but without the launch £60m of money in January (50 for Fernandes 10 or whatever for ighalo).

3) the historical context of the uefa cup for premier league teams - the team that newly enters it flirts with relegation. Obviously nearly challenging for the champions league (they still might do it with one of two routes).

So I think he’s done the best job.

Big credits to these managers too
    1) Bruce
    2) lampard
    3) Pearson
    4) hasenhutl (post 9-0)
    5) Moyes

Biggest negative credit
    1) Farke.

He talks even today about how it’s even a miracle they exist almost as if it’s a victory that they got last place. The guy has a loser mentality wrapped with probably some good coaching skills but really he moans too much and hasn’t taken the chance in front of him.

Chris Wilder deffo for sure. Nowhere near the level of investment Wolves have had via their superagent (jorge mendes). Wolves can probably get hold of any young talent coming out portugal with Mendes running the transfers. Interesting to see if other teams copy sheff utd's overlapping centrehalfs play.

Hasenhutl as well. Great job at Southampton. Improved players as well. Hojlberg has the choice of spurs or city for his summer move. Ings looks like a very good striker again. If i was the moneybags people in charge of Everton or Newcastle, id definitely target ings as a signing.

I know im biased, but ole deserves credit. The first time since fergie retired do we have a watchable team again.
  • You had me until the last para, dude.
  • I’m not convinced by that wolves penalty. Is it going to be a trend to do a skill on the ball and leave it there to grab a foul in the follow through?

Kind of bollocks to me. In some ways you could argue it’s similar to when a player knocks it past and gets tripped by a trailing leg (hello Vardy pens) but it seems different when the player puts themselves in between the ball and defender.
  • Gav is that better? :)
  • Jordan Pickford must practice scrambling for a ball he’s let through his hands.
  • Crystal Palace look second best to everything.
  • Hope villa can hold on.

West Hams last three fixtures, the dream is still on

West Ham v Watford
    Man Utd v West Ham
    West Ham v Aston Villa
  • It's probably too late for Villa, but a win keeps them alive for now, and they could take this to the final day given West Ham and Watford play each other, and they have West Ham on the last day.
  • Chris Smalling agrees 4 year deal with roma. Roma have obligation to buy next summer for €16mil.

Thats one out of the door, just need buyers for: Jones Rojo, Sanchez, Lingaard, Mata and Pereira
  • Arsenal should be up a goal here.

Both teams playing a bit sloppy.
  • Comedic by arsenal.
  • Who’s the the Tottenham left back? Playing terribly.
  • Also the right back.
  • Aurier?
    Fits the description.
  • I think Ben Davies.

Aurier does more goofy stuff but Davies is outclassed by bellerin and Pepe.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Aurier?
    Fits the description.

If he gives away a penalty then it's definitely Aurier.
  • Absolute waste from Lo Celso there, could have finished the game off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!