Yakuza - it's like Shenmue, but actually fun to play
  • I use them all, but the heavy and slow style is far more useful in boss fights when you get overwhelmed. 

I do like trying rush though. Especially in big encounters where you can use the quick counter or disarm moves to look awesome. 

I'm about four chapters into kiwami now. Getting side missions non stop. There are some great translation comments, particularly one English to Japanese to English event.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I just use the way of the baseball bat

Do you.
  • Kiwami is fantastic. Some of the Majima bits are off the wall. Just last night I did the following three in about an hour:
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • By the by,
    Shenmue3 looks just phenomenal!
    I seriously hope Yu Suzuki rereleases a remake of the trilogy in the West riding on the coat tail of the Yakuza series.

Fuck, the Yakuza series itsself deserves exposition to a larger audience and should go multiplatform.
    Steam, xbox Live, the audience could be so much bigger than PSN.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I wish they'd make Ryo's head about 12% bigger, but the latest shots look like a few strides in the right direction.
  • Yakuza is honestly far better than shenmue. Just the story in zero when it amps up for the big set pieces outdoes shenmue. Ideally we could have both, but I'd happily take yakuza if I had the choice.
  • I just remembered in Yakuza Kiwami what all the CP points were for. Now I have the useful bits to help me find side stories. They are almost as good as Y0 side bits, with the highlights so far being two distinct sets of missions that involve two separate characters (overlapping once). One being an idiot, the other a gentleman. 

I'm also finding the Rush fightt style to be better in Kiwami than in Zero. It's the perfect style for taking on Majima's breaker style ambushes.
  • Playing Yakuza 4 - this is one of the few series where my eyes light up when yet another cut scene kicks in.  This shit is the real deal.  (Yakuza 4 spoilers, obviously)

Also, there is this.

When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Pre-orderd that
    yakuza: song of life with yakuza 0 deal on psn.
    What a game yakuza 0 is im so addicted to outrun its untrue, anyone any tips though im shit at it.

(got the 5mill score needed on space harrier easy)

Bowlings decent too.

Im only on 2nd chapter too, do i get more games or arcades as i progress?
  • There's a couple more arcade games you might get. I think there were four all up. There are different minigames on top of them though which are top tier. 

I don't think it would be fair to spoil them as you will find them naturally.
  • Pleased to report that via the newly released demo on Japanese psn, Fist Of The North Yakuza is what it says on the tin. Combat is weighty-er but more mental. Finishing moves are brilliant.

Other than that it's pretty much a Yakuza game with a FOTNS skin, even down to the mini-map, quest popups, and background city noise.

Still, TAKE MA MONEH! Really hope it gets a translation.
  • Last sentence took the wind out of my sails.  Didn't realise it's not confirmed.
  • Nani?
  • Yakuza 6 demo now out. It's large, but progress carries over.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's
    Time
    Fuckn
  • I'm waiting.  All in at launch though.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I still want to play 0 at some point, I've never played a Yakuza before.

Would downloading the demo of 6 be spoiling some of that 0 experience? Are they different in a way that 6 doesn't compare to 0? If I don't like the demo should I ignore 0?

Just wondering, I've never been into the gta's or other big games, but knowing the people here that like it I want to give it a go at some point. Have always preferred to just play from the start and go with the game's pace of learning stuff and getting introduced to the silly.

I'm just waiting for a good deal for 0 at the moment.
  • Nah you can still download it as a little taster I'd say. 0 is that far back canonically I don't think it'll necessarily ruin anything.
  • It's not a GTA type big game at all.  I wouldn't describe it as open world, the map is fairly small and you can play it in a linear fashion if you like, progressing from story mission to story mission.  There's something to do almost anywhere you'd care to look, but you could run from one side of the city to the other in 4 or 5 minutes.
  • Yakuza 0 is excellent and free with a (rather expensive) pre-order of yakuza:song of life!
    Im loving it, up to chapter 4 but im purposely trying to find all the mental everywere and not progress.

Downloaded yakuza demo for a later play, especially seeing as my save will carry over.

Theres so much fun and funny im loving it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Apparently they have taken the demo from the store, as some people were able to unlock the full game from the demo. Hopefully they'll get it fixed.

Just looked up the prices for 0 preowned and new on gamestop's website, $39,99 new, $37,99 preowned. That doesn't really help. I'm in no hurry though.
  • Yakuza 6 pre-order on psn is £53.99 with ps plus.
    That bags you yakuza digital deluxe edition for free.
    Think of it as £27 each or something.
  • I’d grab it if it were Kiwami, rather than 0. Still haven’t picked that up, much to my shame. Shall grab 6 ASAP, though.
  • Nina wrote:
    Apparently they have taken the demo from the store, as some people were able to unlock the full game from the demo. Hopefully they'll get it fixed.

Just looked up the prices for 0 preowned and new on gamestop's website, $39,99 new, $37,99 preowned. That doesn't really help. I'm in no hurry though.

How’d they manage that?
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The thing I downloaded is 35 gigs so it's the full game. In mine, I get to a particular point and it says "cannot progress past this in trial". I assume other people managed to get by it
  • I think my was about 13GB.

I’d happily have the full game instead of the demo, so I wouldn’t have to open my more-money-than-sense edition ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43225691

Apparently its only the north American version according to the bbc.

Gutted for yakuza devs as this will reduce sales again for them, and they deserve the sales.
  • Demo for Yakuza 6 is the dullest, most (who gives these fucks?) cutscene-heavy thing ever. Presumably it gets better after the *you shall not pass - demo ends here..*...?

So, why highlight the (presumably) most boring prologue + exposition filled part instead. As is I think this will just alienate a lot of peeps who were interested beforehand.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!