Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I preferred Infinty War but as mentioned, Endgame is this whole other thing. To cross the streams in a way that you geeks will understand,

Infinity Wars is A New Hope
    Endgame mashes the sadness of Empire with the one big mission in several waysness of ROTJ
  • I disagree.

It’s a classic three-act trilogy, but the first act was spread out across a decade of films.

All the previous MCU movies, from Iron Man right up to Black Panther = Act one = A New Hope.

Infinity War = Act two = Empire Strikes Back.

Endgame = Act three = Return of the Jedi.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I will never agree but I love you so that's OK
  • I liked the bit with Iron Gwyneth Paltrow.

No wait I mean the opposite of like.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I will never agree but I love you so that's OK
    That’s the real new hope, right there. Hugs all round.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I liked the bit with Iron Gwyneth Paltrow. No wait I mean the opposite of like.

Oh, fuck yeah. That was awful. Which movie was that in? They all blur into one.
  • Endgame I think. In the Smash Bros style everybody's here segment.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    The bit where all the women get together to protect the character least in need of protection.
  • Well, it’s the thought that counts.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh yeah. I thought that bit was fun as a ‘cinema moment’ but bad in actual narrative terms.

I was thinking of the bit where she first becomes Iron Gwyneth in one of the lesser Iron Man movies. Or was it a Captain America movie cameo? Or a Spider-Man cameo? Fuck knows, I’ve forgotten.
  • It's just endgame. She gets taken to safety in one of the iron man films in a suit but that's it.
  • Everything up to Avengers is ANH. From then till Infinity War is ESB. Then Endgame is ROTJ.

Wandavision is the Ewoks cartoon.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What have I wrought
  • I think we can all agree that Infinity War is Beverly Hills Cop 2.
    Iron Man 3 through to Civil War is Daddy Daycare.
    Endgame is Father of the Bride.

Which will naturally lead to Black Widow being Blue Streak.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Iron Man to the Avengers is ANH, except for Captain America: The First Avenger which is the prequel trilogy and the first Thor film which is Rise of Skywalker.

Iron Man 3 to Ant Man is ESB except for Thor 2 which is Solo.

Captain America: Civil War to Spider-Man Far From Home is ROTJ except for Thor: Ragnarok which is Spaceballs.
  • Yoss has gone from suck to blow.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I liked the bit with Iron Gwyneth Paltrow.

No wait I mean the opposite of like.

Iron Man 3.

The bit where all the women get together to protect the character least in need of protection.

Here come the girls theme.gif
  • Endgame literally had them time travel through the other movies... it was like that family guy episode or something. I can’t stand time travel stuff randomly used like that, I dunno why THATS where I draw the line on this nonsense, but it really is. Really liked the new Star Trek films too but hated when they introduced ‘future Spock’.

I dunno, it’s a weird line to draw isn’t it.

Infinity war had them fighting for survival and it literally started with thanos (built as the big bad for so long) annihilating Thor and his whole ship, mercilessly.

Then he slammed the hulk. It was such a great opening to a very dark film. And then it ends and they lost! And that but with Wanda and vision where it was so tense I could barely breath in the cinema!

Endgame felt so silly in comparison, but maybe that’s what was needed.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The time travel stuff is what gives Infinity War the edge over Endgame for me. It's a bit too much like Star Trek: Voyager's Endgame finale story, albeit MCU Endgame does a much, much, much, much, much better job of carrying it off.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m vaguely tempted to do a full MCU movie rewatch. Apparently the whole thing clocks in at just under 50 hours, but I do have ten days off around Easter with fuck all else to do. Hmm.
  • I thought the time travel stuff in Endgame was piss-poor and pretty badly realised. It needed to be a fucktonne more audacious than it actually was. It wasn’t a bad film, but IW urinates all over it from a great height.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep IW is the much better film.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I did a re-watch on Disney+ not long ago. Didn't really change my opinions of the films except Homecoming was funnier than I remembered, and I enjoyed First Avenger a lot more (might have something to do with it being the first one I watched). Also noticed there's a line at the end of Endgame which is a call back to a line from First Avenger which I never would have noticed if I hadn't just watched it.

I was thinking that if Incredible Hulk counts as part of the series, despite the Hulk and the actor completely changing, then you could almost justify including Ang Lee's Hulk as well. The story feels connected because one ends, and the other starts, with Banner on the run from Ross in South America. Also Lou Ferrigno is campus security in both. Not saying you should do that as it's a shit movie, but then the Edward Norton one is also pretty crap.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Introducing time travel destroys any chance of a plot making sense, but I watch these films with heavily suspended disbelief, so I thought it was fun.

g.man wrote:
    I thought the time travel stuff in Endgame was piss-poor and pretty badly realised. It needed to be a fucktonne more audacious than it actually was.
    I'm curious, how would you have done the time travel stuff?
  • It feels connected because it was originally going to be a sequel. It was re-written by Norton when the original writer left.
  • Turns out that new justice league: directors cut thingy is coming to Sky Cinema/Now TV over in the UK. I have my parents account on my PlayStation so might give it a watch. I was actually kind of hoping they would split it up into 4 separate hour long ‘episodes’ as originally planned, that would be much easier for me, no way have I got 4 hours for a film I’ve basically already seen and thought wasn’t very good...
  • What was it Amy Poehler said in her Golden Globes intro? “TV is the thing I sit down to watch five one-hour episodes of in a row, whereas movies are things I don’t watch because two hours is too long.” or something along those lines.
  • I was under the impression that it is actually four episodes? Is that not how it's being shown over here?
  • I didnt realise it releases next Thursday, that has crept up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!