Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • g.man wrote:
    I was under the impression that it is actually four episodes? Is that not how it's being shown over here?

I believe it was abandoned even by HBO. However the film is split into ‘chapters’ (I’m guessing in the same way as something like kill Bill?) which might help people break it up at least. So the first 2 chapters are about 30 minutes each, then chapter 3 and 4 are about 40 minutes each etc.

Which is quite clever as people have a natural stopping point when streaming, however Snyder is saying this was the original intention even back when he was originally making it.
  • No matter how much you polish a turd (or in this case cut it up into sections), its still a turd.
  • Nah, there are plenty of cases where a directors cut of a movie is far superior to a studio cut. Editing can make or break a film
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I confidently predict that this will still be a turd though.
  • poprock wrote:
    I confidently predict that this will still be a turd though.

Yeah maybe. I'm hoping it isn't, because I'd much rather have an awesome DC movie than another average/bad one, but we shall see in a week or so.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Nah, there are plenty of cases where a directors cut of a movie is far superior to a studio cut. Editing can make or break a film

Exhibit A: Blade Runner.
  • Pfffft. The best version of Bladerunner is the original with the voiceover.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Pfffft. The best version of Bladerunner is the original with the voiceover.

o/
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Nah, there are plenty of cases where a directors cut of a movie is far superior to a studio cut. Editing can make or break a film
    have they shot new material for this? i was under the impression it was a bit more than just re edit and restore some cut scenes from the original, which is the traditional 'directors cut' thing.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • They've shot a bunch yeah, was more trying to say that sometimes a turd is because of editing or whathaveyou and can be addressed
  • I will train my kids to scream "penis warts" and "vagina leakage" in every public place I take them in return for ice cream, should this "movie" funded because of absolutely fucked up conspiracy alt-right cultists end up being anything other than unwatchable execrable, besmirching everyone's opinions of DC superheroes
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pretty sure I could recut the Godfather into a turd without too much effort.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    have they shot new material for this? i was under the impression it was a bit more than just re edit and restore some cut scenes from the original, which is the traditional 'directors cut' thing.
    MattyJ wrote:
    They've shot a bunch yeah, was more trying to say that sometimes a turd is because of editing or whathaveyou and can be addressed
    I don't think this is actually true.
    None of the original cast returned for reshoots. There just wasn't the budget, and this cut was put together during the pandemic, which also made re-shoots unfeasible.
    The only actual new footage is the insertion of Jared Leto's Joker into existing footage. My money is on his appearance in this film being pretty much everything we've seen of him in the trailer. That'll have the fanboys screaming.
    What did happen (I'm lead to believe) is that the original cast provided additional voice work, which could literally have been phoned in. This would have been needed for the ADR of the cut material that was being re-inserted, and to alter the dialogue in scenes that are being re-contextualised.
    Worth also remembering that this cut is basically bullshit. It was never intended to be four hours long. It was always going to be around the two hour mark and end on a cliffhanger to set up part two of the Justice League story...which was obviously never made.
    So what are we left with? A flabby four hour cut, full of stuff that would have remained on the cutting room floor even if Snyder hadn't got the boot, and yes, it still apparently ends on a now unresolvable cliffhanger.
    I can't wait!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm pretty sure it will do enough to stop being laughably bad and thats it.
    4 hours of mediocrity.
  • Turd-polishing was the job that Whedon did with the first film. Only thing Snyder can be trusted to do is add more turd.
  • interesting stuff G.
    so what we've got is Snyder re-cutting and re-editing a longer version of Whedon's recut, re-edited and slightly reshot version of a film Snyder initially started making but was released from because it wasn't going well?
  • interesting stuff G. so what we've got is Snyder re-cutting and re-editing a longer version of Whedon's recut, re-edited and slightly reshot version of a film Snyder initially started making but was released from because it wasn't going well?
    His daughter died so he left the project.
  • ah, that's tragic. I'd never heard that bit, just assumed he'd been replaced by the studio similar to what happend with solo and rogue one
  • It will be "like watching shit on a stick"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:

My man. I love that version but film purists snootily look down on it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    g.man wrote:

o/

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US
  • The version I saw was little was the cinema version, on VHS.

When I saw the directors cut much older I did prefer it, however I’m glad I watched the VO as it gave me a better understanding of what was going on...

Maybe that’s the secret, watch the VO one first, then the director cut for repeated viewings!

They’re all great, you can’t go wrong.
  • Wing man and arm bloke starts on the 19th. I thought there would have been a longer wait between Wandavision and that.

I guess its covid rejigging.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It is, apparently WandaVision was supposed to air after that but it ended up ready first due to covid-19
  • Makes sense. I guess we would have had Black Widow by now as well.
  • Black Widow was supposed to be May last year.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    March, actually
  • Bloody hell. Suprised they didnt just put it on Disney+ Premium really. I dont think it would have been a tent pole release anyway.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    March, actually

Nope,May. Idiot here.
  • I guess they set themselves up pretty well in that the tv shows are all set up to lead into most of the new movies and Black Widow is, obviously, set in a before time so they kind of lucked out with the movies being pushed back to after the shows.

I've entered myself into a comp to see Snyder Cut at IMAX this week. Wish me luck!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!