Anthem - Time of Death: 24/02/2021
  • Wow, starting a fucking mission is badly done.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Downloaded the Xbox VIP (I just searched for it in the store, didn't have to pre-order or anything - and my Xbox is not connected to my PC Origin account so I've no idea how I got into it) just to test it out there (thanks for the inv messages Sparky). Loaded in for a minute or two to see if it's more stable than the PC port and the first thing that hit me is that this was very clearly designed with a controller in mind. The input lag issues I had on PC were gone and it was much more responsive in every regard. 

The engine is still dog shit though, sorry Bioware but the Frostbite engine is not suited for open-world games. When large firefights occur it doesn't even feel like 30fps on the X, seems like low 20s. Guess this could all change with the live build (which I assume we will have to download again) but I would much rather sacrifice some of the eye candy for stability.

Kind of worries me to think what it will be like with a group of 4 and ultimates going off left and right with enemies all over the place. Still better than the PC build though. To go from getting 80+ fps on ultra in Destiny 2 to 30-50 fps on very low in Anthem was er, shocking.
  • Got through the sign in lottery, wandered around the town for a bit then tried to launch a mission. It's not loaded in yet, five minutes later. Looks like I'm back to square one again.

Wait until the load bar freezes and you’re stuck in the load screen. Cancel application and then relaunch game. When it offers to put you back into the expedition, accept. It should load you in. It may boot you after 5 seconds, but if it doesn’t you should be good to go.
  • Either this has the worst loading times in history, or its crashed trying to load the first misison.
  • Either this has the worst loading times in history, or its crashed trying to load the first misison.

See above. Wait until it stops loading, hold down ps button and cancel application. Relaunch.
  • Got in and played some of it.
    Frame rate seemed alright to me. It's not silky but doesn't seem any worse than most of these types of things.
    I did turn off motion blur mind. Just turned off Dog and Chromatic and it seems smother still. Probably worth doing at least for now.

Movement speed was fine as well. It's clearly designed for you not to just walk around, it's (and don't get too excited) like Vanquish in how it wants you to move around. The hub world is still trash slow.

I was going through a mission then I'm not sure if I got lost or what but seemed to end up in a section that was balls hard, gave it a few goes then quit back to the hub world.

I dunno. It's not bad at all, it's hard to judge if I'm enjoying it because I'm constantly feeling like I'm gonna get kicked.

Chatting to someone near the Javelin and I'm not sure if it's environment or the sound is fucked but it's awful either way.
  • I got frozen by something, fuck knows what, and then killed. It's been 'respawning' me for several minutes now.
  • Seems like you may have been where I was. We're there lots of rock spires in an arena type space?
  • Fuck knows what this post mission Numberwang is all about.
  • Haha.
    I quit the mission. Now I can't get back in.
    I wanna give it a fair crack but I'm not wasting two weekends pissing about on loading screens.

As it stands I'll cancel the pre-order but may as well wait and see if they can get this turd running.

A big problem with this is that there is no way you will get on as a team, playing with randoms never shows these games in their best light.
  • Theres a 16 page special in Edge about this game. Not read it yet. I will do. Interested to know what they say.
  • Can you get past page 1?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Well I've just done the first mission with Gav an I quite like it! The movement is great, flying about and dropping into a Titan smash is a good laugh.

They need to tidy up these load screens and menus a tad though.
  • Aye that was quite the thing when it got going! Its janky and shanky alright but there's definitely something there.
  • The movement is definitely fun as are the abilities.
    Not a fan of the starting gun, mainly because it's just a bit vanilla, I'm sure more interesting weapons will be available.

I just want to play more uninterrupted, will try again later tonight I think.
  • This has crashed when attempting to load into every single mission.
  • Done the first mission despite some horrific lag, 30 steps forward 29 steps back. Certainly makes flying interesting.
    I couldn't see shit in the final room either.
    I don't think my flashlight came on.

They need to have a look at the darkness in general really. I did the big battle at night and it was just a mess of effects.
  • It appears this has fallen over completely again.
  • America has woken up.
  • Day 1
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I might be in day 1 too. Looks like there is an anti-scrub system in place to prevent n00bs from ruining the game.

Let's hope I can trick it, eh.
  • Yeah I'm coming round to this.
    Just did the second mission and without lag it was very fun to play.

Worked out my darkness issue as well. Their colourblind assistant mode is like wearing a welding mask. Turned it off.
  • Can see how this is gonna be monetized though. No way all those cosmetics are gonna be just 25 coins each in the full game.

That being said the customisation is really cool.
  • This honestly might be one of the worst games Ive ever played.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, me and Gav baulked at the two currencies, the whiff of micro transactions was strong.

The writing is also shockingly bad, worse than space wizards from the moon. Something about discovering a thing that has a purpose sticks in my mind.

Still though, when you're mid-flight barrel rolling away from sniper rounds and drop into a melee smash, you're not particularly bothered.
  • This honestly might be one of the worst games Ive ever played.

Is that because you haven't been able to play it?
  • A tip if you get stuck on loading screens.
    It nearly always fails with about 5% of the bar left. If it stalls there it won't ever load so immediately quit out the game. Reload the game and with any luck it will ask if you want to continue your expedition.
    That will load you into the actual game rather than the hub world.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Minnesänger gently weeps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!