Which ailments currently beplague you
  • Cheers all. Always good to vent. Last time I was at this A&E, it was taking the ex there. I really do miss her. When you're down like that, you really can feel alone. Was good to have a thread to vent in.

Sorry not to have any sex stories. It's hard to have any - single women are at the moment my single most feared thing. They're all absolutely gagging for it, and going to "socially distanced" bars where they drink and cackle loudly. They're superspreaders.

I don't even have a cambabe habit. It's all made up :(
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Your a good guy mate and if you get yourself sorted and believe in yourself a bit I am sure you can develop the cam girl habit you desire.
  • Hope the porters that portered you were shite cos I am Top Porter but otherwise get well soon mate xo
  • No porters lad, but the nurse who saw me was class. Imma write him up some feedback, but I'll be thinking of you mate.
  • Gonzo if it makes you feel better today I have cut my nostril using my beard trimmer, scratched an insect bite to the point my upper arm is now pink, walked through a field of stinging nettles on a dog walk and now have bumpy shins, slammed the shower door handle into my head and nearly pulled the nail off my big toe opening the fridge.
  • Fucking 2020 can suck my grotesquely misshapen, solitary nut.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got a bit of an ingrowing toe nail.
  • I have an outgoing toe. Let's make friends
  • I've got a bit of an ingrowing toe nail.

Get that sorted or you will end up with a weird narrow fridge door catcher like me.
  • First cold since lockdown. Kids have been back at school for a week - it's amazing and terrifying how quickly they transmit viruses.

I feel like absolute shite.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yep, my two came home with colds. I got a runny nose for a few days and the wife has turned into a miserable snot filled coughing creature who needs to sleep all the time and shouts at me because she's not feeling well.

Stupid school
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Runny nose etc = not Covid, pretty much
  • Oh yea, it's just a cold/flu thing but makes her miserable and therefore me miserable
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • This exact thing happened here too... Christ maybe keeping kids away for 6+ months when they're little does things to immune systems? To be fair it was our 3 yo and she has never been to a nursery or anything before, so figured she'd get colds and stuff quite easy.

My wife has also been coldy/coughing, which is only alarming because 2 kids in her classes have tested positive so far...
  • They're so fucking cute, the kids. I don't have one, but that day I broke my toe was kidding around with my friend and his sprog. You just wanna pick him up and hug him and kiss him. Don't normally get that feeling with friends sprogs but with this one I've been his uncle effectively since he was born, played guitar for him and played etc. It was all I could do not to, it was difficult. If it's your child you have that affection x100 for the kid, you are fucked - you are gonna catch what he brings, pretty much.
  • Oh yea, it's just a cold/flu thing but makes her miserable and therefore me miserable

You're all isolating though right?  If she's coughing (or has a temperature, or lost sense of smell) you should all be following the usual rules whether you think it's a "cold" or not.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Oh yea, it's just a cold/flu thing but makes her miserable and therefore me miserable

You're all isolating though right?  If she's coughing (or has a temperature, or lost sense of smell) you should all be following the usual rules whether you think it's a "cold" or not.

No we're not. Boys are still in school as we spoke to their teacher and she said if it's just a runny nose for them they can continue to come in and the wife is at work today as she has just a mild cough with her runny nose cold, no temperature and can't get a test without driving hundreds of miles.
    Her head teacher told her to come in (she's a sub and won't get paid otherwise)
  • I'm isolating because I don't have anywhere to go not do I want to go anywhere and see anyone
  • Do you think we should be isolating then Tin? I'm pretty certain it's the same cold the boys classmates have all had and two of them got tested with the same symptoms and were negative.
  • Do you think we should be isolating then Tin? I'm pretty certain it's the same cold the boys classmates have all had and two of them got tested with the same symptoms and were negative.

The quick answer is yes, probably.  I've spent the last week having pretty much exactly this conversation with people, as everyone's horribly confused, and unsure what to do now that all the kids have come home with a cold.

The bottom line is this, the guidance remains pretty clear cut - if any member of the family has:

- A new continuous cough (i.e. coughing a lot for more than an hour or 3 episodes of coughing in 24 hours)
    - A temperature (hot to touch on chest or back is enough to qualify in children)
    - Loss or change to sense of taste or smell

...then you have Covid until proven otherwise and should isolate and get a test asap.

So I guess it depends upon whether your wife's cough fits that description. I get lots of "it's not a Covid cough" from people, but when given that definition they realise it might be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's almost certainly just a cold.  But without going into too much detail, I'm very aware that some people who thought they had a cold have turned out to have Covid...  We've had lots of parents who are really confused because schools have been saying that "if you'd normally send your child to school it's OK to do so" - which is true but only if they don't have any of the above symptoms.
  • Ah. Well then thats fairly clear cut. It's hard though to balance the fact that my wife won't get paid if we have to isolate, that's 2 weeks money lost we can't afford for what is in high likelihood a cold. Means we can't afford rent this month.

If it was straightforward to get a test in our area we would get tested this evening and then be able to know by Monday morning but there are no available tests for us unless we drive hundreds of miles which isn't something we can do with two small children.
  • This is it right there. This is why the country is fucked. We'll have more deaths, a longer recession, because the majority of people simply get fucked if they miss work, or get fucked if one of the wheels come off the wagon.
  • Can you imagine for a second, what a Corbyn/McDonnell government would have done about stuff like that? Let alone if we had embraced policies close to these since 2015. How much more together, how much more motivated we would all be to get through this, together.
  • I'm so fucking depressed, honestly.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Do you think we should be isolating then Tin? I'm pretty certain it's the same cold the boys classmates have all had and two of them got tested with the same symptoms and were negative.

The quick answer is yes, probably.  I've spent the last week having pretty much exactly this conversation with people, as everyone's horribly confused, and unsure what to do now that all the kids have come home with a cold.

The bottom line is this, the guidance remains pretty clear cut - if any member of the family has:

- A new continuous cough (i.e. coughing a lot for more than an hour or 3 episodes of coughing in 24 hours)
    - A temperature (hot to touch on chest or back is enough to qualify in children)
    - Loss or change to sense of taste or smell

...then you have Covid until proven otherwise and should isolate and get a test asap.

So I guess it depends upon whether your wife's cough fits that description. I get lots of "it's not a Covid cough" from people, but when given that definition they realise it might be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's almost certainly just a cold.  But without going into too much detail, I'm very aware that some people who thought they had a cold have turned out to have Covid...  We've had lots of parents who are really confused because schools have been saying that "if you'd normally send your child to school it's OK to do so" - which is true but only if they don't have any of the above symptoms.

So my boss, telling someone that she will accept the risk of them coming in, despite them being required to isolate because their son was waiting on the results of a test, is as far from OK as I though it was then?
  • @Wookie and anybody else facing this situation.
    Remember there is the support fund here.

If you have a good employer speak to them they might be able to help in ways you didn't realise.

Talk to family and friends as well. There is no shame in it and I am sure most will want to help if they can.

If things get really fraught speak to yhe charity Shelter who can offer advice.

If all else fails speak to your landlord or letting agent. Tell them the scenario and try to arrange something with them.

Court ordered evictions for arears are banned until next week, they will remain banned for lockdown areas until next year and there will be a huge backlog. It is in landlord's interest to work with their tenants on arears.
  • You can also threaten to go to the guardian, which I imagine headteachers would get nervous about. If you are employed, there is the first unfair dismissal award this week for an employee sacked for self-isolating according to guidance.
  • Yea but she works for a supply agency so I imagine it's just simple for them to get another teacher sent over. She doesn't work, doesn't get paid. Simple as that :(
  • Government guidelines for teachers (as my wife’s school have said anyway) are that if you have a test, you have to wait till it’s positive before you can stop coming in and self isolate. This sounded like bollocks to me, but unless you have very obvious symptoms (like those listed I guess) you have to come in it seems. Even if you’ve been in a class around actual positive cases...

She doesn’t really have those symptoms though, a runny nose, and a very minor ‘cough cough’ that I hear once every few hours to clear her throat from the snotty goodness. Also we were glad to hear that the cold has reached everywhere in the school (sounds like the UK) and some did get tested because of it and came back negative, so that’s sort of reassuring.

Man, fuck all this.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    (Discussion with Wookie r.e indications to isolate).
    So my boss, telling someone that she will accept the risk of them coming in, despite them being required to isolate because their son was waiting on the results of a test, is as far from OK as I though it was then?

Absolutely not OK at all. 

I guess I have a bit of sympathy - my week this week has been incredibly difficult as we've had a fair chunk of our staff off because their kids have gone to school (or in one case a bloody party) and come back home with a cough or a temperature.  GP surgeries are not big organisations and there's very little wriggle room when something goes wrong.  I would have loved to have told all those people to come in anyway - my life would have been a lot easier. However, given that one of those kids came back with a positive result I'm bloody glad I didn't.
    This is it right there. This is why the country is fucked. We'll have more deaths, a longer recession, because the majority of people simply get fucked if they miss work, or get fucked if one of the wheels come off the wagon.

Absolutely.  I hate my job at the moment, and one of the reasons for that is that I'm spending large chunks of it having variants of this conversation:  "It's probably viral, it might be Covid.  You must isolate until you've had a test that proves that you don't have it, but I can't test you for it, and I'm not sure where or when you'll be able to have one.  Yes, I know you can't drive. No, your friend can't take you. No, you definitely can't take the bus. Yes, I know you can't afford this, especially after the last few months. I'm really sorry but there's nothing I can do..."  I'm a largely useless dispenser of bad news.

I've seen good people reduced to tears because they're torn between doing the right thing for the community, or actually getting paid.  What do you do? Stay at home in case you're spreading a potentially deadly virus, or feed your kids?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!