Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think diet can play a part in exacerbating it, but I don't think it causes it in the first place.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I’ve always heard gout is caused by rich living.  Although I don’t take this completely literally is there any basis for this other than olden day nonsense?
    Qfpt
  • My friend had it and some days he could hardly walk. He lost loads of weight and it never troubled him again, but now he's an annoying fitness guy.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Although before that he literally ate no vegetables except potato, so there's a balance I guess.
  • Yeah I'd look to cut weight in a big way if it was that painful, see if that helps.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Tough ask though.
  • Gremill wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Gout. Like, the worst bout of it I think I've ever had. So bad that having the puppy within even a few feet of me had me screaming in anticipation of the additional pain it would cause if she jumped on me. Fucking hell, this is actual torture - like I've had a red hot steel rod hammered into my big toe up the length of my foot.

Get a good going dose of ibuprofen into you. (Naproxen if you have it.) Hopefully that’ll get it under control. Keep on it until it’s settled - then go and see your GP about getting your urate checked and discuss whether it’s worth having some allopurinol... (Prevents gout and reduces cardiovascular risk.)

I usually have naproxen to hand, but have ran out on this occasion. I haven't had a bout for years until this one. I was 4 days into a fasting diet this week when my body just seemed to go 'nope' and then rebel against me - first excruciating stomach cramps and constipation followed by the runs and then this gout.

FML.

Fasting diet. Pffft. That's your problem right there. Why do people think that shit works?
  • It works for me, but not as a diet. Apart from being young, the next best option to feel great is to fast. I don't do it enough but when I do the difference is amazing.
  • Yep, it's addictive AF. You are so alert, that feeling of waking up after a fasting day is like nothing else on earth
  • Covid-19.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Uh oh. Bad?
  • Yep, it's addictive AF. You are so alert, that feeling of waking up after a fasting day is like nothing else on earth

Is it just because you’re hungry and your brain/body has gone into ‘must hunt food’ alert mode?
  • Gremill wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Gout. Like, the worst bout of it I think I've ever had. So bad that having the puppy within even a few feet of me had me screaming in anticipation of the additional pain it would cause if she jumped on me. Fucking hell, this is actual torture - like I've had a red hot steel rod hammered into my big toe up the length of my foot.

Get a good going dose of ibuprofen into you. (Naproxen if you have it.) Hopefully that’ll get it under control. Keep on it until it’s settled - then go and see your GP about getting your urate checked and discuss whether it’s worth having some allopurinol... (Prevents gout and reduces cardiovascular risk.)

I usually have naproxen to hand, but have ran out on this occasion. I haven't had a bout for years until this one. I was 4 days into a fasting diet this week when my body just seemed to go 'nope' and then rebel against me - first excruciating stomach cramps and constipation followed by the runs and then this gout.

FML.

Fasting diet. Pffft. That's your problem right there. Why do people think that shit works?

Because it does, for the majority of people who follow it properly?
    Yeah I'd look to cut weight in a big way if it was that painful, see if that helps.

Trying to - I think I'll go back to the 2 or 3 days of 600 calories instead of doing the full weeks on fasting.

My gout is usually triggered by either too much beer or eating any quantity of beef - neither of which I've had any of recently.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow wrote:
    Uh oh. Bad?

Doesn’t seem too bad so far. High temp, mild cough, aching everywhere. Paracetamol seems to be pretty effective.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fingers crossed it stays mild.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Uh oh. Bad?

Doesn’t seem too bad so far. High temp, mild cough, aching everywhere. Paracetamol seems to be pretty effective.

Get well soon mate.
  • Aye, get well soon mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cheers dudes.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Aye get well mate.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Get well soon mate.
  • Rest up and get well soon, Dad.
  • I hear Minecraft is an effective treatment.

Please don't die.
  • Christ, hope you feel better soon mate.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Uh oh. Get well soon! Stay alert!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cheers folks. Have to say I was impressed how quick the test turnaround was. Was fully expecting negative though, it’s ballsed up the half term for the kids.
  • Best wish to The Daddy, get well soon.
    My son is showing symptoms (sky high temp, cough, sore throat and aches) so we’re now booked in for a test too. Filling in the form at half nine with options for tests from half ten onwards throughout the day so my - very limited - experience of the system is pretty positive right now. Just hope the tests aren’t and it’s just a standard flu or whatever for the boy. Don’t tell him I told you all but he looks like absolute dogshit.
  • Get well soon Dad!
  • poprock wrote:
    Yep, it's addictive AF. You are so alert, that feeling of waking up after a fasting day is like nothing else on earth
    Is it just because you’re hungry and your brain/body has gone into ‘must hunt food’ alert mode?

The clearer mind you get is probably down to that, yes, but it's more than that. You sleep so soundly and wake up feeling so refreshed. It's hard to describe but you're very focused yet very calm. 

It doesn't happen straight away if you're considering doing it (which you should), it takes maybe a week or two if you're say, fasting twice a week. By week three you'll be well into it and the pounds will be dropping off, but the weight loss is just a bonus side effect.
  • I really need to get back on that. I got so addicted to it last time though that I overdid it and lost weight way too fast. Also
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah it is a little addictive. The first time I did it the weight loss was so quick the ex was worried I had cancer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!