Which ailments currently beplague you
  • I had to come up with a joke last time.
    Spoiler:

Didn't land well with my ex at the time
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I don’t like to talk about illness and stuff, always feels like pointless moaning to me. This may be a hangover from a Yorkshire upbringing, I dunno. I don’t go in for macho bullshit elsewhere in life so fuck knows why I embrace it where health is concerned.

Anyway. My stomach (or gut, or something) seems to be a bit fucked. Which worries me, as my Mum has chron’s.

Just over a year ago I woke up in the middle of the night with incredibly bad stomach pains. Never felt pain like it (and I’ve had dysentery …) It faded by the morning. A few nights later it happened again. Third time, I went to see a doctor.

The doc didn’t really make any attempt to diagnose, he just put me straight on a daily dose of omeprazole – protein pump inhibitors.

I’ve been on those for a year and mostly it works. But every now and then it doesn’t, and I get woken around two or three in the morning by hideous stomach pain, which takes until seven or eight am to fade. Maybe once a month or so.

Recently it got more frequent, and the attacks started to last longer. So I got a call with a GP and she changed me over to a different protein pump inhibitor – lansoprazole. I was warned to expect a rough two or three day changeover period.

I’m about 10 days in now and it’s getting worse. I’ve had five nights of pain just this week, and the stomach pain spreads to my back, just below the shoulderblades. Today it’s hit me in the middle of the day instead. This is new. This is a first. And it really fucking hurts. Throwing up is not usually a part of this, but this evening I’ve hurled twice.

So I’m gonna call a doctor again tomorrow and ask what’s going on with my stupid body.

Like I said, I don’t really like talking about health stuff, but ranting is satisfying so I thought I’d give it a shot for once.

Also, ouch.
  • Doesnt sound good mate.
    I suffered digestive stuff as a kid, nothing as bad as chrons but you have my sympathy.

Has your doctor asked you to keep a food diary? Wondering if it could be an allergy.
  • Now clearly I'm no doctor, but it does sound to me that someone should actually be checking your body out to find out what's going on in there, rather than just giving you pills for a very long period of time that haven't exactly cured the problem.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah, that’s what I’d like to happen, but I’m not into pressuring NHS staff who are already trying to help.

The locum GP who changed my medication suggested that a test might be the next step if these tablets didn’t help.
  • Good luck getting a GP to take a look at you. My mum has been in pain since early August and no one has seen her yet. Just trying out meds like she’s a test subject or something. A soon-to-be 80-year-old with multiple health problems.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • poprock wrote:
    Yeah, that’s what I’d like to happen, but I’m not into pressuring NHS staff who are already trying to help. The locum GP who changed my medication suggested that a test might be the next step if these tablets didn’t help.

I'd say as a bare minimum you need an H. Pylori test if they haven't done that already - though to be honest I'd seriously consider an endoscopy (camera to have a look at your stomach) given that your symptoms are no longer controlled with omeprazole.

There are various other things I'd consider depending on more of the story (a blood test, or a stool test for instance).

Endoscopies can be a little difficult to access at present because of Covid restrictions, but they definitely should be investigating further.  (Let me know if they don't...)
  • Thanks Tin.

I started feeling faint and my hands were full of pins and needles, so I called 111 and was sent to A&E.

I’ve had bloods, ECG and a chest X-ray and nothing has been found.

I’ve had paracetamol and morphine but the pain remains.

I’m being sent home with some co-codomol. They think it could be gall stones, but if so that’s a matter for my GP.
  • Sorry to hear that poppo, get better.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I’ll tell you what, it’s fucking painful enough to be gall stones.
  • Sorry pop, that sound awful:( Glad they did the tests for you, get better soon. I'd be freaking the fuck out so don't apologise for talking about it.

I've been feeling weirdly shit for a few months, am expecting it's allergies to something being inside all day (maybe the cat? dust?) and after finally talking to GP they put me on a steroid nose spray and said it might take over 2 weeks to clear. Post nasal drip, leading to a sore throat I have to clear every few seconds. Have lost my voice a couple of times now.

2 weeks up tomorrow and I don't feel much better really, maybe I should call back by Friday... It's not the end of the world but I do notice it in the back of my throat all day and sometimes it feels a little difficult to breath (maybe because I'm trying to breath through my nose).
  • I’ve always wondered why we have such a different medical approach to allergies in the UK from what they do in the US.

Here it seems quite difficult to get tested to determine what (if any) specific things you’re allergic to. Even vets are more keen to blood test animals and check for allergies.

Whereas in the States people’s doctors set them up with detailed testing at the drop of a hat. Not just blood tests, but patch tests on skin too – marking out grids on your back and testing for reactions to different stimuli, etc.

I assume it’s to do with cost vs benefit. In the US, they’ll be eager to run tests because they get paid for doing them.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’ve had bloods, ECG and a chest X-ray and nothing has been found.

I probably should have explained a bit more there. The good news was that a hell of a lot of nasty possibilities were quickly ruled out. I’ve no infections of any sort. My heart’s okay. My kidneys, liver and pancreas are fine. Etc etc. The A&E staff were super-efficient.

But this abdominal/stomach pain that usually clears up in under three hours stuck around for more than 12 hours instead and fucking crippled me. Not a pleasant experience. Once it faded away I just went to sleep and missed an entire workday.
  • Was gonna say, in the States they can bill you for it right? So makes sense to up-sell that sweet segmented back check.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Was gonna say, in the States they can bill you for it right? So makes sense to up-sell that sweet segmented back check.

I guess that’s why vets are happy to do it over here, too. All goes into that itemised billing.

I tell you what though, it must be lovely to know exactly what you’re allergic to and need to avoid, instead of roughly guessing based on experience.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I'd say as a bare minimum you need an H. Pylori test if they haven't done that already - though to be honest I'd seriously consider an endoscopy (camera to have a look at your stomach) given that your symptoms are no longer controlled with omeprazole. 

There are various other things I'd consider depending on more of the story (a blood test, or a stool test for instance). Endoscopies can be a little difficult to access at present because of Covid restrictions, but they definitely should be investigating further.  (Let me know if they don't...)

Thought I should give you an update Tin, after you were kind enough to weigh in.

My GP (well, a temp GP at my local practice) has given me some targeted painkillers (Buscopan) and booked me for an ultrasound scan. She’s 90% convinced I have gall stones or another gallbladder problem.

Decided to avoid an H. Pylori test because that would require taking me off lansoprazole for six weeks, and she considered that it’s significantly more likely to be gallbladder problems anyway. She actually doubled my daily dose of lansoprazole instead. If she’s wrong, and the ultrasound is all clear, then we try an H. Pylori test next.
  • poprock wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    I'd say as a bare minimum you need an H. Pylori test if they haven't done that already - though to be honest I'd seriously consider an endoscopy (camera to have a look at your stomach) given that your symptoms are no longer controlled with omeprazole.  There are various other things I'd consider depending on more of the story (a blood test, or a stool test for instance). Endoscopies can be a little difficult to access at present because of Covid restrictions, but they definitely should be investigating further.  (Let me know if they don't...)
    Thought I should give you an update Tin, after you were kind enough to weigh in. My GP (well, a temp GP at my local practice) has given me some targeted painkillers (Buscopan) and booked me for an ultrasound scan. She’s 90% convinced I have gall stones or another gallbladder problem. Decided to avoid an H. Pylori test because that would require taking me off lansoprazole for six weeks, and she considered that it’s significantly more likely to be gallbladder problems anyway. She actually doubled my daily dose of lansoprazole instead. If she’s wrong, and the ultrasound is all clear, then we try an H. Pylori test next.

Sounds like a fair plan - I was thinking from the description that it was more stomach related, but gallstones make a degree of sense - especially if the pain's intermittent (and I appreciate it was already severe).  US should certainly help answer the gallstone question.  If I were you I'd follow a diet on the assumption you have gallstones for now at least.  (Basically, avoid fat like the plague.)  Avoiding triggers often renders the stones asymptomatic.

Doubling the PPI sounds like she's at least hedging her bets a little that your stomach could be the culprit, so definitely right to revisit if things don't settle.  (I hasten to add, hedging her bets whilst finding out the facts is a perfectly reasonable approach - if she'd doubled and done nothing else I'd have worried...)

Hopefully it all settles with diet +/- buscopan.  Feel free to give me a nudge if I can help.
  • Cheers Tin.

To be honest, the pain etc all changed since my shitty Sunday with it. Prior to that it felt like a stomach thing – occasional night-time pains over my abdomen lasting two or three hours. 

Since the worse-than-usual attack of it on Sunday/Monday I have a permanent dull ache lower down (bladder, I’m told) and a permanent nasty stabby pain and associated tender area below my ribcage on my right. Which I’m told is where the gallbladder lives.

So the reasoning all seems sound! Just gotta wait for the scan now.
  • While eating i find my breathing is weird, feels like its hard to breathe in. After eating i have this sensation of mucus being in my throat that doesnt go away if i spit or swallow. Both are irritating. From googling the closest thing i can find is reflux, specifically Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). It's been going on for about 6 months. (I had covid real bad in March, i had long covid pretty bad for like 4 months afterwards) this is the only thing that lingers. It would be great if it was just long covid and also gradually went away but it's been a bloody long time now. I'm doing a lot better than a lot of people on the Facebook long covid group but still, its annoying. I'm using PPI's and gaviscon and all that jazz, maybe it helps.. a bit. Doctors don't seem overly concerned because i'm not dying in a ditch.
  • That sounds similar to what SG had a while ago. I think he controlled it a lot by eating earlier in the evening and watching his diet a bit.

I’m doing alright, thanks. I reckon (only a reckon, not a diagnosis from anyone) that my nasty episode was a gall stone travelling from one place to another. Since that pain slowly faded away I’ve had nothing else. I’ve cut my meds down to just one lansoprazole capsule every morning.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, welcome to reflux club. Control what you eat and importantly when you eat and it'll be ok.
  • Thanks, i'm mostly eating between 10am and 6pm which is a big change for me, i used to eat 9am to 10pm.

I've noticed it doesnt happen as much when im eating with other people, maybe i eat slower?

If there was particular foods i could avoid i'd be happy to but i cant work out what, I can eat the same thing on two different days and get different results.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's a book on controlling reflux that I uploaded to the bear and badger dropbox for Muse. It's probably still there and it has a lot of really good information.
  • Found it, looks good, thank you
  • Sleep issues. Not been sleeping well at all for last few weeks. So tired every day and head feels woozy and fucked. No idea what is going on, can’t think of any reasons why this would be.
  • Stress?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nah, I rarely have that. And when I do, I know it. House is going well now, work is easy going and well, finances are doing well, family all happy and healthy and doing well etc etc. Can’t think of any stress points. 

I’ve been struggling to fall asleep. So I’ve reduced screen time. Not much gaming or phone before bed, instead I read a book with a mug of hot choc and a magnesium capsule (helps sleep?). Also have my afternoon coffee by 1:30-2pm now and not any later. But it’s the waking up randomly here and there and also waking up early and not being able to get back to sleep. Which can’t be coffee to screen time related, and I don’t wake up thinking of anything like house or work etc so not stress. 

I’m seeing a doc on Tuesday about this and some other stuff so will chat to them about it then. Hopefully can get some tips or help. Hopefully it’s just a phase.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Have you been keeping up with your exercise routine? You normally do a fair amount don't you?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!