ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sounds like a panic attack that then subsides, or alternatively you're spiking yourself with an amphetamine

I'd definitely mention it to your doctor
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah, I'd have that shit checked out.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I have had similar through drinking too much coffee. Are you taking something for the cold which contains caffeine?
  • Nah, cut out the tea for the last few days in favour of a Vit C in the morning and then honey lemon throughout the day. Took a couple of cold and flu drinks yesterday as I was feeling grim, but this started the day before. Earliest appointment I can get with my doctor, short of an emergency, isn't til the 18th(!) so I'll see how it develops and then consider an emergency one if it doesn't shift. Wouldn't normally worry me but I can't remember having anything like this before, and the lack of sleep isn't going to be helping anything.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Tried to read that in your voice.

I sound significantly different right now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Bit of a weird one, but I'm down with a bad cold (yay) and also experiencing a weird thing in my chest which feels a bit like stomach butterflies only where my heart is. Like a constant feeling of dropping. It's kept me from sleeping the last couple of nights- I'll start to drift off then suddenly wake up with a deep intake of breath, like when your breathing reflex occasionally fails to kick in. Pulse feels relatively normal but no amount of deep breathing or relaxation techniques are helping to kick it. Can't tell whether it's something to check out or if it's just psychosomatic panic about the idea of something being wrong.

I had the opposite to this in that my heart would start racing, felt uncomfortable, struggled to sleep. Was high blood pressure, so yours may be low. Dr DS on the helpline.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I have had similar through drinking too much coffee. Are you taking something for the cold which contains caffeine?

I had the exact same symptoms before i switched to mostly tea as well. Not that this is in place of a proper diagnosis.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My right ear feels blocked. It started yesterday morning when I woke up. It almost feels like it needs to pop, like when you're on an aeroplane, but I can't pop it. It's started to have some tinnitus tonight to, which I'm hoping isn't a bad sign. My ability to hear with it is significantly reduced. I'd say by about half, if not more.
  • Could be wax.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hmm... how do I get that out without making any blockage worse?
  • You can get it syringed by the GP
    Or an ear candle which I think you can get over the counter, you will need help from the Mrs to use it though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'll have to investigate tomorrow. A trip to boots is required I think.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Olive oil, or book a syringing, but a few drops of olive oil should loosen it enough for it to fall out
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • How is your nose? Sometimes if my sinuses get blocked my ears pop, and it is that common cold time of year.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Sinuses are fine. I've not had a cold in months so I don't think it's related to that.

I have just got some new in ear headphones though, which I used for the first time last weeknown. Maybe they shifted some wax which led to a build-up later?
  • Ear candles are lol. I don't think they actually work!
    I had my ears syringed when i was a student. I had to put loosening ear drops in for about 3 days prior (i read somewhere that you can just use olive oil instead of the pharmacy liquid) and i basically went deaf from the drops before the Dr cleaned them out, BUT the amount of each she got out of their was incredible. 
    You can hear a mouse fart afterwards.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • @goob
    Possibley. I use ear plugs at night because the bloke who lives above me prays to Allah loudly every 3 hours. Sometimes they cause my ears to pop or feel popped for a while. Need to get better ones really.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Olive oil might be anice idea then. Cheers for the advice. Is it worth warming it slightly or should I not bother?
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Bit of a weird one, but I'm down with a bad cold (yay) and also experiencing a weird thing in my chest which feels a bit like stomach butterflies only where my heart is. Like a constant feeling of dropping. It's kept me from sleeping the last couple of nights- I'll start to drift off then suddenly wake up with a deep intake of breath, like when your breathing reflex occasionally fails to kick in. Pulse feels relatively normal but no amount of deep breathing or relaxation techniques are helping to kick it. Can't tell whether it's something to check out or if it's just psychosomatic panic about the idea of something being wrong.

I get that fluttering once in a blue moon too, but I also had a bad cold before christmas that made it really worse, I think it's mucus on your chest.
  • Olive oil might be anice idea then. Cheers for the advice. Is it worth warming it slightly or should I not bother?
    Do a search for Ear Wax Removal on YouTube. Just be careful about which vids you watch though, some of them will make you vom.
  • I have had blocked ears a few times over the last few years. Used Otex ear drops which cleared it up after a few days, although sometimes it made me basically deaf for a day.
  • I got my ears syringed not too long ago. I almost vommed when the doc showed what came out but it was heaps of wax. I think I've always had rather waxy ears. I was lucky in that the wax was already soft so it didn't need to be softened before I went to the doctors (a friend used to be an audiologist and was able to tell me that) but might be worthwhile trying to soften before so that the doctor doesn't tell you to come back.

My friend also suggested letting the water in the shower go into your ear at an angle as that can soften and let things out too sometimes.
  • fjwax01.jpg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I got my ears syringed not too long ago. I almost vommed when the doc showed what came out but it was heaps of wax. I think I've always had rather waxy ears. I was lucky in that the wax was already soft so it didn't need to be softened before I went to the doctors (a friend used to be an audiologist and was able to tell me that) but might be worthwhile trying to soften before so that the doctor doesn't tell you to come back. My friend also suggested letting the water in the shower go into your ear at an angle as that can soften and let things out too sometimes.
    I had a 6 inch long strand of wax and skin dangling from my ear when mine was done, i looked inside the cup the dr used to catch everything and it looked like vomit.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Both mine blocked up and needed syringing. The weirdest sensation but totally worth it. I couldn't believe what I could hear afterwards. Driving the van home was actually painful. You shouldn't have it done too much on your life time though. Only the once preferably. Olive oil is a good, cheap shout.

Also the shite that comes out is really something to behold.
  • Thanks for the reminder. I need to get mine done. I'm a touch deaf as it is due to titinnus but I've noticed I've been asking people to repeat themselves recently.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Ear candles are lol. I don't think they actually work! I had my ears syringed when i was a student. I had to put loosening ear drops in for about 3 days prior (i read somewhere that you can just use olive oil instead of the pharmacy liquid) and i basically went deaf from the drops before the Dr cleaned them out, BUT the amount of each she got out of their was incredible.  You can hear a mouse fart afterwards.

This. Same thing happened to me as a student.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got some otex ear drops. Hopefully they'll do the trick.
  • In ear headphones are a nightmare for causing ear blockages. Something to do with the pressure they cause. Both times I've ever bought/been given ear buds I've ended up going deaf with the wax build ups, and had to get them syringed. It's a satisfying end result but not worth the horror show leading up to it.
    Tempy wrote:
    I get that fluttering once in a blue moon too, but I also had a bad cold before christmas that made it really worse, I think it's mucus on your chest.

Ended up being exactly this: pre-symptom of a chesty cough that laid me flat for a few days. What a relief.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!