Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Were all your days sick leave or were some emergency leave?
  • The alarm bells that they are talking bollocks is that they referenced last year's sick days.

If the clock has been reset then last year's sick days are irrelevant unless they caused you to receive formal disciplinary, in which case the disciplinary would still be on record.
  • You won't be warned, you'll be investigated. If they proceed to a warning without this, they are a court case waiting to happen. I would be very surprised if they can count individual days. Your 3 days are a continued absence.

You will have trigger points, which will be so many absences, and so many days total in a specified period - usually 6 months. I think ours are 3 absences and 30 days. So for example, I was recently off work for 4 weeks, which is more than your entire year last year, but was one absence. The investigation for this was basically me giving my sick notes to them and telling them what I needed to return to work.

You can't take action based simply on trigger points being met. The investigation is to look into why. Is there a pattern to the sick days? Always on the same day for example, immedietly after they have been on a heavy night out, tied to avoid certain things like working with someone specificYou can self certify for a certain number of days, 7 I think, and then after that you need a doctors note.

They can't make you use annual leave if you wre entitled to sick pay either. If you are entitled to this, there is no reason for you to have to use annual leave.
  • Skade wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    R.e. sleeping with back pain: the pain I get lives in my lower back, occasionally shoots down my left leg. Found that if I lay on my back with one leg straight and the other folded under it (my left ankle under my right knee) I got to sleep quicker.
    This is exactly how I cope with my back pain at night also.
    Sounds like sciataca?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Thanks for all the advice guys, once I'm better, I'll have a chat with my line manager. She's pretty good at this stuff. Will let u know how it goes.
  • R.e. the 12 months thing: couple companies I've worked for use a rolling 12 months. The clock only resets for company sick pay entitlement, same way annual leave entitlement does.

Does it specifically say 15 days, or 15 periods of absence? I've been signed off for the last 14 days, with 7 more to go, but that's just 1 continuous absence, so for the purposes of disciplining me I'd have to be off again twice before they'd think about it. Even then, it's on a doctors line, so it can't really be counted.

Have you had any formal warnings regarding your absence levels? Also, (and feel free to tell me to mind my business on this one) dyou have any formal warnings for anything else? The reason I ask is that I've seen other managers attempt to use previous warnings for reason as dismissal, but there's a difference between getting disciplined over absence and timekeeping and getting it for not doing your job properly (performance/conduct). One shouldn't have any bearing on the other.

E.g. I was on a written for paying out too much money on a bet. I then hit the absence threshold for a warning; boss wanted to make it a final but couldn't. The bet issue was performance (I'd never seen the bet before, so I got the written and a training plan); the absence was conduct (so I got another written with agreed targets for any further casual absences).

It makes sense in my head, sometimes don't explain it that well though.
  • [/quote]
    Sounds like sciataca?[/quote]

Aye, that's what they reckon for me. Had physio etc, it flares up now and again.

Edit: buggered up the quote bit.
  • I keep getting pains in my big toe that feel like someone pressing a knitting needle into the end of the toe.

I have had the toe nail removed 3 times from that toe, the last time a solution was used so the sides of the nail won't grow back and the nail is now narrower than normal. I assume it is something to do with that. Really fucking hurts though.
  • I've had similar problems with big toenails for the last few years. Never had anything done about it though. Fucking painful it can be, so it's a bit disappointing to hear your cure hasn't really cured things.
    Who did you see about it?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The toenail removal was for in growing toenails rather than the end pokey pain. Thought it might be a side effect of that.
    The guy who eventually sorted out my seemingly never ending ingrowing toe nail was an absolutely brilliant chiropodist who has sadly now moved abroad, cos he was working private and liked snowboarding so decided to move somewhere he can snowboard. Presumably he gets good business around the slopes as well.

If it is ingrowing toenails that ail you then I highly recommend getting the treatment that stops it growing down the sides. The NHS won't do it, they will either cut a V in the end of the nail to encourage straight growth or remove it if it is too far gone. The bloke who did mine said if it goes too far then it will always grow back in the toe. It is a simple but painful procedure, they remove the toenail then apply a solution to the sides of the void where the nail would grow. This kills whatever it is that causes nail growth in that area. Your toenail grows back the same as before but narrower. It looks a bit weird but fuck ever going through that pain again.
  • Interesting. Ta.
  • No ailments (touch wood), just sheer exhaustion. Feel like I'm running on vaper. Last few weeks have been nackering as I've been either working or helping out extended family. I'm struggling to do my normal gym workouts (5 days a week). I haven't had any time off work since Xmas and I have a week's leave coming into two weeks time. Just need to get through the next 14 days. Mental toughness, don't give in and push on.
    (sorry, turned into a rant for myself).
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    No ailments (touch wood), just sheer exhaustion. Feel like I'm running on vaper. Last few weeks have been nackering as I've been either working or helping out extended family. I'm struggling to do my normal gym workouts (5 days a week). I haven't had any time off work since Xmas and I have a week's leave coming into two weeks time. Just need to get through the next 14 days. Mental toughness, don't give in and push on.
    (sorry, turned into a rant for myself).

Head down thumbs up mate. The time off will be all the more enjoyable if you feel like you've earned it (defo sounds like you have).

Things improved any at work for you?
  • I think I'm in the same boat at work like everyone else, do more with less, less resources, less time, less people but achieve more than last year, hmm....

Have a mate who works in the police, he was having a moan cause he can't get a police walkie talkie for himself when he starts his shift. He has to borrow one from whoever just finished their shift. Crazy.
  • I have a minor TFCC tear.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I think.
  • I strained both groin muscles when swimming earlier tonight, yours sounds worse.
  • It's wrist, in case you're wondering. Was extremely painful at first, much better now, but it's been 4 weeks. Wearing a wrist splint. 

Yours sounds bad to me!
  • Also, hang in there. Not long til your well deserved break. I know how you feel. It can all get too much sometimes and we all need breaks.
  • Cheers dude, not so easy driving to the car park this morning with my dodgy groin muscles lol. Hopefully me and the missus can get a holiday abroad in next few months. Taking a holiday from yourself and your life, even for just a week can do wonders. Gives you a different perspective and helps you take stock.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Elf: confirmed wanker
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmmm, intrigued what I can do here. Around ten years ago I went to a dentist with my wisdom teeth, paid him the twenty quid for a check up as I was in severe pain. Lower two wisdom teeth impacted partially erupting

Told me it would be £300 per tooth for extraction, I thought that was ridiculous so I went home, took a scalpel blade to my gums to relieve the pressure, and self medicated on booze and coke

It flares up every now and again, massive abcess on either side, I squeeze the puss out once every few weeks. Seeing as I'm trying to be an adult and now have a gp and stuff, I phoned them yesterday and asked if they could do anything about it. They said see a dentist

So I registered today, check up in two weeks. I'm wary of being charged so much money again. Especially when this isn't a vanity thing, I'm in real pain every day and have been for years, I'm not asking for a fucking boob job. Can they refuse to refer me unless I pay them? Should I have been able to speak to my gp about it? Can/should this be done without me having to pay £600 for the privilege of a standard quality of life? If i have to find the money i will do this time, but it seems a little unfair that just because my sickness is in a certain part of my body I'm not entitled to the 'free' healthcare I pay around £600 a month for, with no choice, sorry for minor rant there, but NI enrages me, knowing there'll be no state pension and also that it isn't even ringfenced for the services it's supposed to provide, just gets spunked on whatever Westminster fancies that week
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • NHS mate.
    A wisdom tooth will be band 3, so around 200 quid but for that they can do all 4 and anything else you need as it is priced per session.
    Try these guys 5 minutes walk from Streatham Common station or Streatham station.
    http://www.119dental.co.uk
    They were brilliant with me when I needed stuff done.

You need to get that sorted though, if it is infected you run the risk of a blood infection which is serious stuff.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Registered today with a place near work, if they are rubbish I'll definitely check out Streatham though thanks, it's only down the road
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah, thought it was close by for yourself. The pub across the road used to be my local.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I figure if it was gonna kill me it's had a decade to do it, but fuck ten years of constant pain, I really want this fixed

@tinrobot sorry, just wondering, given the potential risk to health and accrual pain being caused, so I have reason to negotiate then down on cost, especially as it will likely have to be done in a hospital anyway

Kinda meets my public money, private purse argument earlier
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I figure if it was gonna kill me it's had a decade to do it, but fuck ten years of constant pain, I really want this fixed @tinrobot sorry, just wondering, given the potential risk to health and accrual pain being caused, so I have reason to negotiate then down on cost, especially as it will likely have to be done in a hospital anyway Kinda meets my public money, private purse argument earlier

For some reason the bat signal didn't fire, so only just seen your post, sorry.  Anyway...

First of all, your GP's unlikely to be able/ willing to help you with this.  Put simply, they're not insured for dental stuff, and as such will be left high and dry if anything goes wrong, so most won't touch it with a bargepole.  (The GMC would also be pretty unforgiving.)  Personally I will sometimes treat dental stuff in an emergency, but most doctors would say I'm an idiot to do so, and they're probably right.  (Not least because the "obvious" treatment isn't always the right one.)  So yeah, don't bother with your GP. 

In terms of reducing cost.  If it's a private dentist you can try bartering, but, well, good luck with that.  Most will direct you to the NHS.  As you know already, NHS dentists charge too, but there's a fixed price. There are some exceptions to having to pay, which you can find here along with a list of the price bands. They won't negotiate on these prices.  However, as you'll have gathered from the list, if it's something you need hospital treatment for then, other than the initial dental consultation, you might be able to get the main treatment for free.  That's a big "if" though.

If the dentist you've found isn't an NHS one and you want to find one, your best bet is to ring 111.  They're a pain in the proverbial, but they should be able to tell you where the nearest available NHS dentist is.  (They can also get you an emergency appointment if needs be.)

Finally there is one other alternative, which is what I resorted to as a student.  You can self refer to a Dental School.  A quick google will tell you where your nearest one is, and most will see patients for free.  The catch, of course, is that you're seeing a student.  They will take longer, may well need to bring you back, and will be inexperienced.  On the flip-side however, they will be supervised, often by the best trained dentists around.  My personal experience with a dental school was that it took all day, and I ended up having a dental extraction performed by a girl I'd seen dancing half naked at a party the night before.  (Which did nothing for my confidence.)  It was also the most painless dental procedure I've ever had.  Obviously I can't guarantee you the same experience in any respect...

In any case, whatever route you take, it's definitely worth getting something done about it.  Good luck.

And yeah, the fact that anyone has to pay for dental care in this country is obscene.
  • Yeah but what about my TFCC tear (I think), should I wear a splint?! Still hurts a bit.

I should stop wanking weightlifting for a while probably. Specially presses.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    My fault no bat signal, didn't have the underscore in there, oops. Cheers for the heads up though. I wouldn't want anyone to get into trouble for me. Crying shame that they are left open to litigation though. I understand that a lot of fetal work is vanity so should be chargeable, but the fact that everything is seems a bit wrong from where I sit

Never heard of the dental college thing, sounds interesting, hopefully they won't give me a huge bill for the work, and if so I'll not get disheartened and wait ten years again, but investigate the other options
  • Fetal work?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!