Which ailments currently beplague you
  • I'm thinking of dropping all meat other than sea food. I might drop dairy too (although I do like cream, so it might just be a reduction).
    I don't eat much cheese, don't use milk in hot drinks or eat cereal. The killer is avoiding it as an ingredient. Butter, milk and eggs are in a hell of a lot of things.
    To the 101 things that get on your tits thread - eggs aren't dairy.
    They aren't but it is quite common for people who give up one to give up the other.
    Yeah, but I'm not sure why.

I'd imagine that, for a lot of people, it's about giving up animal produce.
  • I think many who give up dairy do it because of industry practices which can be just as bad with eggs.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I tend to only buy free range organic eggs, which I (possibly mistakenly) believe have fairly good welfare standards.
    AJ wrote:
    I'd imagine that, for a lot of people, it's about giving up animal produce.

Yeah, but I'm still going to eat fish. Its mostly to do with health benifits, but animal welfare and farming practices is a factor, as is environmental issues.
  • Skade wrote:
    Thanks Tin, booked myself in with the doctor will get on the allopurinol. Might have to ask Rouj to teach me how to be a Soy boy.

I'd hold off the allopurinol for now - usually best not to start until gout has settled for 2 weeks (unless you were already taking it, in which case carry on).  

Also allopurinol can cause the gout to flare again (because the urate crystals start dissolving) so it's often a good idea to continue the acute treatment for gout (either anti-inflammatory with gastric protection or colchicine) for a couple of months after starting.  Probably worth it in the long run though...
  • I tend to only buy free range organic eggs, which I (possibly mistakenly) believe have fairly good welfare standards.

There have been some pretty nasty practices involving male chicks even in free range farms. Basically they are useless so go into a big blender by the bucket load.
    If concerned it is worth looking into. I know some tech was coming in to hopefully end it.

Everyone is different though, not looking to lecture or anything. I still eat free range eggs.
  • Free range organic chicken is well expensive. Was only looking at it 2 days ago. I’m gonna go as much pescatarian as I can. By that I mean reduce chicken and red meat. On the odd occasion I wanna eat some, I’ll fork out the mega bucks for the good stuff. 

Maybe.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It tastes a fuck load better, to be fair.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cheers Tin. Is your prognosis enough for me to claim sick pay? Can I print it out and make a social security claim? In Spain?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I ASKED TIN
  • Im his receptionist.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Shirley not.
  • I have slightly less skin now and have had my first stitches.
    Double biopsy bro.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oof, fingers crossed for you.
  • Dr didn't like the look of then but didn't seem too concerned. I think!
  • Kow wrote:
    Cheers Tin. Is your prognosis enough for me to claim sick pay? Can I print it out and make a social security claim? In Spain?

Tristemente, no.
  • I'm thinking of dropping all meat other than sea food. I might drop dairy too (although I do like cream, so it might just be a reduction).

I stopped eating meat apart from fish 6 months ago and I’ve never felt better - no gout, less IBS symptoms and overall just feel less meat-sweaty.

I suffer from Gout too - it’s all about identifying what your triggers are. Mine are beef and too much beer. I can have the odd beer, as long as I don’t drink too much too often. But beef? Forget about it. The slightest taste of it sets me off. Solution? I find that Naproxen for the inflammation and a good Indica weed for the pain works wonders.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Free range chickens aren’t quite as la de dah and happy go lucky as those wonderful little words will have us believe.  Have a gander at what some of the chicken farms that label themselves as free range getaway with.  Five minutes of daylight a day or we send the dogs in kind of stuff. It’s crap and still grim as fuck.  Chicken/eggs is just the worst meat for these kind of practices.  Never tried a kfc and never will. Or Nando’s.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Chicken is fucking delicious though
  • Not once you start thinking about how it’s been raised and what it’s been slopping around in, knee deep.

Duck is much better. What all that splashing around in ponds for cleanliness and a diet of Hovis and mighty white means you know exactly where you stand.
  • If cruelty is your reasoning chicken, eggs and dairy are definitely the ones to avoid. Probably should drop all other meat as well, or get your own chickens.

My major drive was environmental. Beef is obscene in that regard.
    Pound for pound beef is something like 10x more damaging than chicken when factoring in methane, feed, chemicals used for feed, deforestation etc.
    Lamb isn't far behind beef.
    Pork is actually by far the most environmentally friendly of farmed red meat. Venison and other game is less damaging as it isnt farmed as such.

I read the other day that if everyone in the U.S didn't eat meat for just one night a week it would be the equivalent of taking 30-40 million cars off the road.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Not once you start thinking about how it’s been raised and what it’s been slopping around in, knee deep. Duck is much better. What all that splashing around in ponds for cleanliness and a diet of Hovis and mighty white means you know exactly where you stand.

I know where I stand with chicken, it just doesn't bother me. I know that makes me a bit of a cunt but thems the breaks.
  • Sometimes I do wish I was living in the 3rd world country of my birth, in our village villa. (Which we no longer have due to uncle kicking us out and taking it over and having police and courts in his pocket so we can’t do much.)  Proper organic free range stuff. I had fun taking my goat out to graze and letting chickens out in morning etc. when I went back as a 9yo. Went for a visit a few years ago and most relatives are now in a big polluted city and it’s utter shit with caged hens and shit.

Visited an uncle’s place and they caught a chicken and made some curry. It was tough and tasted so different. Raw milk was also FTW. 

Anyway. I can’t see myself stopping dairy and eggs. That will be difficult.
  • I could probably cope with being a vegetarian. But I couldn't cut out eggs. I'd miss cake too much.

Although I'd still have to have seafood. Screw life without seafood.

And also Christmas dinner.

Duck.

Lamb.

A good rare steak.

Ah, feck it, I'll just eat what I want and feel like a bad person.
  • I think just eating less of everything is a decent start. We generally have minced beef once a week, maybe a couple of chicken breasts (or occasionally a whole chicken), and then I have either some sausages or salami probably about every couple of weeks. Don't tend to bother with lamb at all.

I don't think I can go vegetarian. Meat is just too good. But this seems a reasonable compromise and, like most things, it's overconsumption that's the problem rather than consumption at all.
  • Gremill wrote:

I suffer from Gout too - it’s all about identifying what your triggers are. Mine are beef and too much beer. I can have the odd beer, as long as I don’t drink too much too often. But beef? Forget about it. The slightest taste of it sets me off. Solution? I find that Naproxen for the inflammation and a good Indica weed for the pain works wonders.

Yeah been struggling to work out which foodstuff triggers my gout. Always get it during the first or second week of hot weather.

Naproxen isn't touching it this time, think I need a dose of sodium diclofenac, nothing is really working pain relief wise just try not to agrivate it further by banging it.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Remember that naproxen is a cumulative effect drug, so you need to take it regularly and consistently for it’s effects to really take hold.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    Remember that naproxen is a cumulative effect drug, so you need to take it regularly and consistently for it’s effects to really take hold.

Orly? My mum has it for something, hope she hasn’t stopped taking it.
  • That's a terrible thing to call your mother.
  • Dammit. Edited now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!