Punching ozno in the fuck - boxing and MMA for girlie men
  • Yep, I can't wait for this one.
  • Don't think I've ever been so excited for a card. Not just the quality but the quantity, every fight a banger, with consequences for it's division.

Think I'm gonna put on:

Turner win
    Sterling by sub
    Bo win
    Charlie by sub
    Hill win

Let's fucking go!
  • Gav, can you explain the point of having rankings in UFC? 

The current champion is having a match against someone who lost the title 3 years ago and hasn't fought since, rather than the current number 1 ranked interim champion, who has won three out of four bouts in that time.

If you're making matches based on vibes, why even bother ranking people?
  • It's a bit of everything, really. Fighters can get injured and that puts them out of even conversations about fights regardless of ranking, divisions gotta keep moving. You could also have things like Ramadan making certain dates completely unattainable for certain fighters. Recency bias is definitely a thing. A fighter ranked top ten could go beat someone else in there in spectacular fashion and come out healthy and ready for a quick shot at a title if offered. You also have things like marketability come into it. Every month there's a PPV, and 99/100 it's headlined by a championship fight. Not all champs are PPV draws though. Neither are all challengers or those at "rank" 1 or whatever. Look at a guy like Belal Muhammad, for instance.

The way I see it, it's all a little bit of a fugazi. They do mean something but to me it's more "you're among The Best". And if there's one thing that keeps me coming back to the UFC, time after time, controversy after controversy, defending the undefendable (hi Connor, Jon), is that in the UFC you always, always get The Best fighting The Best. So if you're ranked, you're already among the best in the world. Just make exciting match ups and keep the thing moving, imo. 15-10 you're probably still to be tested under really bright lights. 10-5 you're almost there. 5-1, I guess just stay ready if you can.
  • That's a great summary Gav.

You also find that even when ranked fighters face unranked fighters they're generally well matched, unlike boxing where a prospect will fight cans for 20+ fights.

The match makers do a great job but as Gav says, the rankings are better looked at as groupings to a degree.
  • EVERYONE MADE WEIGHT

EVEN KAYLA (don't look, yiiiiikes)

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • EVERYONE MADE WEIGHT EVEN KAYLA (don't look, yiiiiikes) LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I will never be able to hear that name without hearing this:

• IT'S FIGHT DAY! WE DID IT LADS! IIIIIIIIIIIIITS....

TIIIIIIIIME!

Let's fuckin go man. So hyped. Gonna be skipping about work today thinking about Charlie Olives showing levels. The champ has a name! Illuminated by God!!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bet nothing gets as big a pop as LA Knight.

Hello I'm returning the favour.
  • Cool.

Free fight marathon starting at 8pm for free on the UFC youtube

• What's your pick of the free stuff Gav?
  • Free stuff? On the card? It's all free for the UK baby! Live on tnt sports from 11pm. They have a deal with the UFC that a certain number of cards per year over here go on their own PPV channel but for whatever reason, this one isn't! Class!

"early prelims" are usually the first two fights of a card and they're always only ever viewable on UFC Fight Pass, which is kinda like WWE Network. Tnt announced last night they're showing the lot. Also class!

But to answer your question in a "what's the best non main card fight?" way, I gotta go for Prochazka V Rakic. But honestly, they're all crazy good.
  • Done my picks across the card, behind spoilers. Some will make it onto an acca. Full line under the BMF fight cos I ain't calling that.
    Spoiler:
  • seems Gav picked the right fight to give the double underline.
    Came in expecting to read his reactions but guess he still hasn't come down from this yet.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Do any of you guys have a DAZN sub? Is it worth it or are the fights you'd want all PPV?
  • I had a trial of it, didn't renew.

Sorry, just been really busy. Will post full thoughts later.
  • No worries, no pressure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!