Friends Helping Friends (Our Boy Tempy)
  • Got an email which has kind of reduced my conifidence in getting this

Feels like a waste of time now
  • Don't worry temps, we were only joshing about you getting a tattoo m8
  • Tempy wrote:
    Got an email which has kind of reduced my conifidence in getting this Feels like a waste of time now
    It's all useful practice/experience. That's what I tell myself, anyway.
  • Only useful if I get feedback that I can use. We'll see.
  • Nah, it’s still character building even without proper feedback. You travelled. You checked out their place. You met and talked with people you wouldn’t have access to otherwise. You got a look inside the HQ, which few generally do.

Also, you damn well had to give it a shot. You’d have beat yourself up about it for years if you’d missed the opportunity to try.
  • There's no way I can honestly reply to this, in light of recent things that everyone here has done, a way that wouldn't just sound pissy and dumb.
  • If it helps, I'm fine with you sounding pissy and dumb.
  • I am very grateful for the help i've got from here, it's really fantastic and without it I'd be fucked.

It's just hard to see this trip as a visit. I went to Warhammer World last Septmeber for a visit, and I didn't really see anything this time other than the inside of a meeting room. I think the interview went ok, but the time its taken, the prep, the cost to me financially and so on, to potentially see my competition pool triple in a update they emailed me, as well as my waiting time tripling, and the potential of no to minimal feedback as per all of the other applications i've put out, is just disheartening. 

I dunno how to learn from interviews or applications if I am getting the shorthand version of "we have no time for you, we got ours, see ya." back from places. I'll stress I haven't had that from the GW one, I have no clue how that will play out, but I just don't see it as a learning experience. I see it as a risk, or  a gamble, that will not be resolved for near 2 months after I filed my application. 

I could get it and everything will be fine, but the potential for it to be just another for the rejection pile doesn't fill my with the confidence of a lesson learned.

I'll stress again, everything you folks have done has given me the potential to hold on for another month longer which is something that I can't thank you enough for. I just can't kid myself into skewing everything from potential rejections positively when my experience isn't positive.
  • It's hard to keep positive, for sure. I've had a knock back from a position I had some hope for this week - didn't even get shortlisted for an interview after spending a couple of weeks working on the application. No chance of feedback either due to 300 applicants.

All I can really think to put a positive spin on it is that each one of these I apply for I've maybe got an 5% chance of actually getting it, which means I probably won't get any particular one but if I apply to enough then one will eventually get through. And hopefully each application is a bit more refined than the last.

I appreciate you financial situation is shitter than mine though - I can maintain basic living costs and buy the odd game for the foreseeable, if not much else.
  • I have spoken to a bunch of people about applying for jobs recently and the effort for each one can be disheartening, especially when they can take anywhere between an hour and 4 hours, for you to just get the old monolith of "SORRY" back at the end of it.
  • Totally sympathise with everything you say there Temps. I think job-hunting is a largely masochistic pastime, but we all know the only way out is through, etc etc.
  • I just don't want to appear ungrateful
  • I can relate to how you're feeling. I spent a fortune on prep for my pilots scholarship, which i also didnt win. After uni, i then turned to applying for tier 2 dream jobs. Didnt get any of those either, and so i gave up, and just fell into doing mostly somewhat depressing work.

I dont recommend giving up, as i did. As time has passed, the attractiveness of my CV has only diminished, and so the chances of getting work i actually enjoy only grow slimmer. Conversely, i know a bunch of people who kept going and eventually got their break, sometimes when they least expected it.  

If you're likeable enough that people on the internet- many of whom you've never met- would gladly chip in to give you a shot at this job, then im sure it's only a matter of time before one of these employers sees what you have to offer.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I just don't want to appear ungrateful

You don't. You do appear to feel too guilty, though; don't sweat it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I just don't want to appear ungrateful

The way you're feeling and about the support you received and the way you're feeling about the interview and what's happened since are two entirely separate things.
  • Keep going Temps. Getting a job can be soul-destroying, and it always seems harder when you don't already have one.

A lot of the time it's about how well you will fit in, how you get on with the interviewer or staff you meet. Best advice I can give is to project as much confidence as you can, be honest about your shortcomings and development needs, and be relentlessly positive. Don't overdo it, it will seem unnatural, but it's fine to put on an act for a couple of hours.

Keep at it, it'll work out fine in the end.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Keep at it, it'll work out fine in the end.

Until then, beers are on us. When you get a/the job, beers are on you.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    to potentially see my competition pool triple in a update they emailed me, as well as my waiting time tripling

That sounds like they've moved you behind some others to come back to if those people turn them down. If that's true and they haven't the manners to explain as much in due course, fuck 'em.

It took me years to get a council place, and I was at the top of the online list until the final day lots of times. Sorry I can't say anything positive, but it's okay to be angry at pisstakery.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wot AJ & Unlikely sed.

Vent away.
  • Tempy, you were shortlisted and deemed worthy of their time. That alone isn't satisfying but should provide a fair few crumbs of comfort. Don't be too disheartened, like others have said, your talent and your inherent value is there for all of us to see. Whether it's this job or not, your time will come. Doesn't alleviate the immediate worries; I wish you well.
  • Dude, maybe (if you haven't done so already) you should do some practice interviews with some people you know and ask for no holds barred feedback. Real honest, no bullshit type.

Breakdown everything, appearance, attire, attitude, body langauge etc. Maybe with some critical feedback you can iron out some wrinkles that are stopping you being the number 1 choice for any prospective employer.

Once piece of advice I've always liked is that if your short listed for a job, on paper you can do it. It's at the interview stage where you talk yourself out of it when the paper you doesn't match the real you. Hope that makes sense.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Tempy, you were shortlisted and deemed worthy of their time. That alone isn't satisfying but should provide a fair few crumbs of comfort. Don't be too disheartened, like others have said, your talent and your inherent value is there for all of us to see. Whether it's this job or not, your time will come. Doesn't alleviate the immediate worries; I wish you well.

Crucial. I know it's all well and good us saying this and I'm sure you're wrinkling your nose and spitting irritation even as you read this, but too often we tie up our worth and value in the bullshit of Work. I know the problems go beyond that because No Work = No Money = Can't do Stuff and it's a horrible place to be. But you are intelligent, kind, creative, and you will find something that is good for you. I hope it's this because I know you would be fucking good at it. If it's not... your turn will come.
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    It's at the interview stage where you talk yourself out of it when the paper you doesn't match the real you. Hope that makes sense.

Put that notion straight in the bin. It's far more likely that someone outperforms you as an interviewee, clicks with the interviewer, or simply has more credentials but they wanted to meet you and be sure, rather than you manage to 'talk yourself out of it'. Good lord.
  • @tiger, have no issue with you disagreeing with me. But I conduct alot of interviews. More than I'd like. It happens all the time in my experience.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    It's at the interview stage where you talk yourself out of it when the paper you doesn't match the real you. Hope that makes sense.
    Put that notion straight in the bin. It's far more likely that someone outperforms you as an interviewee, clicks with the interviewer, or simply has more credentials but they wanted to meet you and be sure, rather than you manage to 'talk yourself out of it'. Good lord.

I'd agree with Tigro on this one. If others have 'talked themselves out of it', then it's a pretty negative reflection on whoever you end up recruiting. Rather, the person who gets the job mostly deserves to because of their performance in the interview. The others may well have performed brilliantly too, rather than under-performing; but were just pipped by a better candidate. I never recruit anyone that I'm not impressed with or because the rest are shite. Also, Tempy, from my years of recruiting, we've always told people when they're out of the running. The fact that this hasn't happened should offer some encouragement.
  • Keep going Tempy, you got this mang.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Go Tenps go
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    Also, Tempy, from my years of recruiting, we've always told people when they're out of the running.

I know it's not helpful, but that's rarely been my experience. I guess it all depends on the job, but most of my interviewers didn't even bother to contact me. No news, no job.
  • They have told me I am still in the running and how long to expect to wait.

@dino, I generally have no issues with interviews, I often do quite well in them. Getting them is the chore, and I've had about 20 people look at my CV and it's about as tweaked as it can be. Stuff is just stacked and I have unfortunate experience that doesn't often lend itself to the jobs I am going for.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!