Friends Helping Friends (Our Boy Tempy)
  • Again, that isn't what my post said.
  • That post makes zero sense, wtf is up with you? Most of what I was talking about was in pm. Swirl didn't make a fuss, so it didn't go any further. The point I made was that we raised enough money to send two to a stock, but I got no response from the organiser about that. Swirl desisted. In my view exactly the sort of example of people who do not benefit from these drives. Didn't make a fuss. I thought it was pretty shitty myself that someone posted some interest in coming, was ignored by all but a few, and then we spent the excess money on booze and chili. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Again, that isn't what my post said.

I'm at a loss to understand why you're taking issue with him for feeling letdown that Swirl's money was spent elsewhere. Couldn't it have been sent to him as a commiseration gift?

[edit]

Anyway, the man can speak for himself.
  • I've obviously no idea what was said in PM, but I do know what was said in the thread, and how you construed it is not what happened. If something else went on in PM's that didn't involve me then I'd obviously have no way of knowing that.
  • Escape wrote:
    Again, that isn't what my post said.
    I'm at a loss to understand why you're taking issue with him for feeling letdown that Swirl's money was spent elsewhere. .

Because several people offered to help Swirl in that thread, and the suggestion made is that no one gave a fuck about Swirl, which is patently not true.
  • What is it that you say didn't happen? Have you got a link? Or are you just going to assert something like a bonehead as you normally do, because this forum is the only place you assert yourself?
  • And because it's apparently not clear, not all of that post is directed at Gonz, just the part that where I specifically addressed what I quoted. The rest is general, based on other posts made in this thread, and other fundraising threads.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    the suggestion made is that no one gave a fuck about Swirl, which is patently not true.

That's not how I'm reading it. It sounds like several people wanted to help fly him over but he didn't make it for whatever reason, and instead of holding that money for a future flight or giving it to him, it was spent.

If all of those who donated agreed to that spending then there was clearly nothing wrong. 'Course, I've no idea what happened.
  • Loads of us have a fuck! There was a bunch of us in pm trying to separately raise some money on top of what we have for Dan as, uncomfortably, total silence from nickfullspec followed the suggestion that some of that money should go to swirly's travel. Swirly of course very quickly desisted, but many of us just thought he was being polite / not wanting to impose.
  • Can yous take this to PM?
  • Can you you take that to PM?
  • Generally I think we are all big enough and ugly enough to donate to the causes we see fit, be it a console, a train ticket or whatever else.
    I don't think over analysis of each drive is really necessary and doing so sours the milk somewhat.

I like to try to donate to near enough all of these things because I think they are nice things to do for people, sometimes they help people who are desperate, sometimes just less fortunate than myself at this current time, even if it is a s small amount (kinda how this thing works).
    As it is I cant always because of the sporadic nature of my work and cash flow but I am glad others can normally fill the gap and find something to help.

I don't want to start any drives myself as I don't like handling other's money, nor does it look good being self employed and having hundreds of pounds appear in accounts randomly. However if things come up and cash flow works I will donate to most tbh.

I think there may be a danger of these things becoming a popularity lotto, I do see Gonzo's point there. 
    Also I don't think each one needs to be full on Children in Need, let's check the totalizer, Roy Castle Alriiiiiiight Record Breakers. I don't think that is a reason to stop though or to start some kind of means testing.

Most of the time it would only take the price of a pint per willing donater to make a dream come true and I would buy you pricks a pint.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Loads of us have a fuck! There was a bunch of us in pm trying to separately raise some money on top of what we have for Dan as, uncomfortably, total silence from nickfullspec followed the suggestion that some of that money should go to swirly's travel. Swirly of course very quickly desisted, but many of us just thought he was being polite / not wanting to impose.

OK, so can you see how someone who was not in on those PM's would have a different picture, given that you didn't mention them?
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Can you you take that to PM?

Take that that, and party.

Kisses to all in here btw, I dunno/can't add anything. Love,

Gav.
  • I just don't even know what is up with you. That is all in your HEAD. The fact that I criticised you is in your HEAD. That I said my reading of the swirly situation would be obvious from the thread is in your HEAD. All I said was what I posted: we raise money for a cause, we go way over target, and how that money is spent or where it goes is not necessarily the most equitable outcome. People's noses get put out of joint while some of us congratulate ourselves on our generosity.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roy Castle Alriiiiiiight Record Breakers

We've moved on to Akabusi.
  • I didn't say that you criticised me. I said I can't help but take it personally, which is a completely different thing.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    What would you have done with the leftover money, Dants? Was everyone okay with spending it?

Most of all, did Swirl even care.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I was thinking Jon, because I know a few of us only fancy playthroughs of certain games. I'd pay something like £40 for a month with Odyssey. If we could get a train going...

I'm offering to lend one and you guys are chatting about buying one. Jaysus lads. By all means pass it on to someone else as long as I have it back in time for Prime 4.
  • Just to come to the defense of Nick somewhat here.
    I have gotten on with Nick well since very early on posting here and meeting him in London. I can't imagine him deliberately ignoring attempts to get Swirl to a meet, I have only ever found him to be extremely accommodating, he just isn't that guy. I seem to remember at the time Nick changed to Fullspectrum and was having some issues at work that meant he wasn't on here much.

I was at a meet when Dan came down (we chatted about Zlatan ALOT), if that is the meet being discussed Nick was generous in hosting us at his place, I wasn't there the whole time so don't know about who spent what on what but generally rounds, beers and food were being shared freely.

If that was the meet it is a shame Swirly didn't make it, would have liked to have met him, but I dont believe there was anything malicious going on. Nick was wrangling about 15-20 people at the time.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm offering to lend one and you guys are chatting about buying one. Jaysus lads. By all means pass it on to someone else as long as I have it back in time for Prime 4.

I only pay the iron price, but it's a lovely offer. If Davie wants it for a bit he could send it to me after, I suppose. If you left your account on I'd buy you an indie or two.

[edit]

Also what Liv says: I don't believe for a minute that Nick rinsed that cash like a kid at Monopoly. Crossed wires and a lack of comms, apparently.
  • Escape wrote:
    Roy Castle Alriiiiiiight Record Breakers
    We've moved on to Akabusi.
    He needs the help.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Serves him right for coming to our school and refusing to sprint.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ach I'll sell the thing then
  • Will give you 7 chicken selects for it.
  • I have no idea about the Nick situation, but he’s always struck me as one of the most genuine chaps on here. He was also having a rum time of it when you all met up. The lack of comms seems likely to have been due to this rather than skullduggery. Also, I’m always wary of discussions about forumites when they’re not around to speak up.

Also, the guy isn’t a charity and has a young family to provide for. If he fed and watered loads of you, we should expect some cash should go his way( if any did), no? Not disregarding whether that would have been the intentions of donators, obvs.

Again, we just need to keep in mind that not one recipient asked for the help they received, no pressure was put on people to participate and we all had the choice on whether to participate.

Apologies to Jon, who seems to have had an unfair crack of the whip here.

• Yeah man, glad I'm not Jon right now.
    We should buy him a Switch to apologise.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also Dan is one of Nick's best bros, the man ain't a prick, chill out Dante jaysus lad
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    also pay for me to go see nick please ive been saying ill do it for 18 months thanks
  • We offered you that you bloody wally, remember, Yoss had an anal prolapse because I said I was going.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!