Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    We could think about a community Switch if there's enough demand. For those of us who can't afford/justify one but wouldn't mind a few weeks with Odyssey or whatever.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    We could think about a community Switch if there's enough demand. For those of us who can't afford/justify one but wouldn't mind a few weeks with Odyssey or whatever.

I'd lend you my Switch if you covered postage mate.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Yeah, fuck you Jon.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Or Jon, whoever. Its been sat on the floor for a month.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'm planning on reviving the Child's Play drive again this year. Helping out people on here is all well and good but I think the buzz that we all got from doing something so positive for kids less fortunate was wonderful.

Hopefully others will agree.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I DISAGREE.

/jk
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Yeah, fuck you Jonny.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I might be able to afford CP for the first time in a couple of years, though. When was our last?

Feels like 2014.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic JonB, ruining everything for everybody
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He writes a good apology letter.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    I might be able to afford CP for the first time in a couple of years, though. When was our last?

Feels like 2014.

I think it was a good 4 or 5 years ago.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Serious though who wants to lend a Switch
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Can't give 'em away, mate. I was thinking about timesharing V's, if a few more of us wanted to pay the price of a game or thereabouts to rent it for a month or two.

Olimite wrote:
    I think it was a good 4 or 5 years ago.

I've been pretty much broke since 2015, and I don't remember not donating to one.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not that fussed, really, but if Jon's keen and there's a community vibe around a share...

Davie? Someone'd get a discount Switch at the end of it after the rest of us had contributed for loans.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I literally only want it for Prime 4. Had my fill of Zelda and Mario and ain't gonna buy anything else on it so it's a legit offer.
  • What genuinely wonderful people you all are.
    We've had many charity drives over the years. We've raised money for sick children, we've adopted bears and badgers, we've bought consoles for friends, we've raised money for our bros going through hard times, and we've even helped pay for the funeral of one of our own.
    And what all these things have in common is that they've all been great successes and have all exceeded any reasonable expectations.

You see I'm a cynic. I've got a big heart, but I'm a cynic. Almost always I sit on the sidelines waiting for one of these endeavours to fail. To fall apart. To drive a wedge through the community that can't be repaired.

That's because charity is a delicate flower of a thing. However noble the cause, however well-intentioned the thought behind it, there is always a more deserving cause that goes unmentioned in it's wake.
    But where does that leave us? Do we never give to anything because there's always something or someone else arguably more deserving? Do we argue with each other about which cause is more deserving? Do we all fall out and close the forums? Apparently not.

Which brings me back to the previous paragraph. I'm a cynic, and while I wait in the sidelines expecting the worst, and wondering how the hell I'll try and sort out the mess, I've always been proved wrong.
    The good members of this forum have put their hands in their pockets to help out on a multitude of occasions, and every time all reasonable expectations have been exceeded. You are a truly wonderful bunch. Nobody is pressured, nobody is coerced. You just put your hands in your pockets and give a little when you think it's a cause that deserves it.
    This is another beautiful thing that's virtually unique to our little corner of the internet.
    Time and again you see these sort of well intentioned crusades destroying entire communities. But not here apparently.

Me? I'm probably like most of you. Sometimes I give a little money. Sometimes I don't. I don't have a rule of thumb, and I don't have a list of people who I think are deserving causes. I just give some money when it feels like the right thing to do.

Now perhaps you'll all go on to by Jon a Switch, and a cuddly toy and a Ferrari, or perhaps you won't (I know what I'm betting on with this one), but I can appreciate and understand the thought behind Tempy's suggestion. I think when you've been the recipient of one of these beautiful things, there's a desire to want to pay it forward, so to speak. That just seems perfectly natural to me.
    But on this occasion, I won't be donating. 
    Now I would normally never discuss this sort of thing on the forum, but as we're apparently having this conversation I'll make an exception this time. 
    I don't feel at this moment in time my helping to buy a Switch for Jon would improve his life in any significant way, and I suspect he might agree with that. Simple as that.

So anyway, keep on being your wonderful selves. If you feel the urge to give folk a helping hand, then by all means do just that, and if you don't, well the world generally continues to spin regardless.

As a final note, I'm going to unsticky this thread now (which is something I was going to do this weekend anyway). Hopefully we've helped to keep Tempy in rice and beans for a little while longer, and thank you all once again for your kind donations.

keep on keeping on

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • No dig at Jon was intended. It's just, we raise money, self congratulate, but there is no system for inclusiveness or fairness. It means that the quieter people who are struggling financially watch this and are, well, bitter and disillusioned. Or think they aren't liked. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that.

Going forward, a hardship fund would be a good idea. We could cap donations on a case by case basis, and give the balance to a hardship fund, say, run by gman or summat. Or maybe Dino, he'll turn it into a fortune by putting it in his portfolio.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    there is no system for inclusiveness or fairness.

It seems that we've run out of free-console charity now. I don't know what Jon's situation is, but if he's no way of affording a Switch and fancies them funny JRPGs or whatever, it does feel a wee bit conspicuous.

(Fuck you, Jon.)
  • Escape wrote:
    I'm not that fussed, really, but if Jon's keen and there's a community vibe around a share...

Davie? Someone'd get a discount Switch at the end of it after the rest of us had contributed for loans.

Whats this about a switch?
    Id really like one but girlfriend says im not allowed.

I only want it for mario kart and possibly a playthru of botw.

How do we decide who keeps it at the end?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I was thinking Jon, because I know a few of us only fancy playthroughs of certain games. I'd pay something like £40 for a month with Odyssey. If we could get a train going...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How much for you to send it to me so I can lick all of the cartridges?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is that what your webcam customers like?
  • legaldinho wrote:
    I'll give you an example. Two years ago or more I gave some money to get Dan, djr, to London. Nickfullspec was running that. We went way over target for the train ticket, by over a hundred quid at least. When blueswirl, who had been having a bad time getting a job after his PhD, expressed an interest in coming to the London stock, I tentatively suggested using the excess to pay for his travel. No, it was spent on booze and chili and whatnot. I thought that was thoroughly rum at the time, but old swirly quickly said he wasn't coming, so I didn't push it.

I'd decided not to comment on this at first because I'm not great at organising my thoughts on things like this, and I already seem to have unintentionally pissed you off and didn't want to make it worse, but it's been eating at me so here we are.

This is a mischaracterisation of what happened in that thread. Swirl said he couldn't come because of lack of money and his brother no longer being there for him to stay with. I asked him how much it would be, and he replied more than he had. Elf then followed up the question after having suggested that the forum could buy the ticket, and Dyno also piped up that he would be up for contributing before you again stated we were up for funding Swirls ticket. For whatever reason, Swirl didn't come back into the thread, so it was a bit difficult to buy a ticket for him. 

I know you said this isn't aimed at anyone, but as someone who offered the help that you're now saying wasn't forthcoming I can't help but take it personally. It turns out that there are a few more posts since I started writing this making me question again posting it, but it will keep eating at me if I don't.

If something like this pops up again and you want to contribute, do so. If you don't don't. It makes me uncomfortable when people have come into one of these threads in the past and essentially said we shouldn't be doing it for whatever reason. The only reason to do so is because we want to. I went out of my way to get Yoss the Xbox One because even though I wouldn't be part of the community that it would enable him to join I knew what it felt like to be part of one with him in the past and I wanted him to have that again at a particularly low point for him. If you don't think that's a good enough reason then fine, but I don't see what it achieves to tell everyone else they shouldn't be bothering because there are more important things.

I'd also seen about Dans situation and I'd not started one of these because frankly I didn't think people would take me and the suggestion seriously, partly because it would be from me but also because I'd seen resistance to these fundraisers in the past. I didn't want to be responsible for getting someones hopes up and then they be dashed, especially someone I like so much.

I don't really know what my point is anymore, so I'm going to just post this before I change my mind again.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Gonz is clearly pro-charity. I think you're having a go at the wrong person there.

Don't disagree with what you've said.
  • Escape wrote:
    Gonz is clearly pro-charity. I think you're having a go at the wrong person there.

That's not what my post is.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He felt the excess should've been used differently, yes, not that it shouldn't have been donated.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!